"Somewhere in Time": vanilla megaWAD [REVISED, SEE FIRST POST!]

Would you try it?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Would you try it?

• Yes
    • Maybe
    • No

Greetings,

You may have not heard me for a while; that's because I haven't dealt with Doom mapping for a very long time. Though, the project is not dead; I still have some years to finish it - I mean, a lot!

Anyway, thinking things over: instead of overcomplicating MAP16, it just gonna be the original stuff. So count it as finished in the future. Also, just to reach the number 15, I should finish testing of MAP12, so it's kinda close to finish!

In aspect of ideas, I'm seriously burnt out. A lot of cut, unfinished and pointless areas...they should be integrated into sure ideas. So most certainly, MAP23, 31 and 28 won't be finished ever (in their current form, at least).

Sad news. Very sad news...

Some weeks ago, all my datas in one of my HHDs are gone. It includes the files of this project. I still have the demo releases on Dropbox, but all my WIP maps are gone, including almost finished maps.

It makes the deadline way more far than I expected.

Katamori said:

Sad news. Very sad news...

Some weeks ago, all my datas in one of my HHDs are gone. It includes the files of this project. I still have the demo releases on Dropbox, but all my WIP maps are gone, including almost finished maps.

It makes the deadline way more far than I expected.

Shit.

What's the extent of the damage?

And that kids is why you should always backup on other drives in case if one fails. Might as well just stop kat and just release what you do have so you can move on.

I was luckier than Katamori a bit when my PC crashed on a very Sunday in April 2012, but only a hairstring could save my ass from losing all my data, including all my ongoing projects, so I feel the common sense.

Josh, I lost everything from that HDD, but somehow, my friend could make it work, so it works again, however it's empty.

Impboy, you may be right, but I've always wanted to make an own megaWAD, and also, there still are map ideas that I want to make real.

You can do it Katamori! I was keeping an eye of this wad, I even made a review/opinion page on my website talking about your project! try to finish this, goodd luck!

Katamori, even though your progress was lost you can still do this.

Take me for example, MAP14 of my own megawad and I am no where near as great as a mapper as you, if I can get that far there is no doubt you can go even further.

Katamori said:

Thanks! Also, the answer for "What is Doom?" on your site is goddamn hilarious.

Hehe, yeah it was one of the first thing i put on the site, also, the Somewhere in Time page is not online yet, but you can read it in /SIT.html

Josh, I'm way not a great mapper. I learnt a lot from other guys, but when it comes to implementation and gameplay, I have lack of creativity, so the result is often messed up, unlike your stuff.

Gez, ouch. :)

Katamori said:

Josh, I'm way not a great mapper. I learnt a lot from other guys, but when it comes to implementation and gameplay, I have lack of creativity, so the result is often messed up, unlike your stuff

Just remember that you are your own toughest critic (I'm "improving" my own entire megawad so far because I am unhappy with it), an easy way of using this to your advantage is to absolutely go perfectionist on your maps until YOU are satisfied with the final product, it allows you to improve not only as a mapper but also as a critic/tester. Another thing you can try is looking through the eyes of a complete and utter dick and seeing what their asshole views are, then you can implement things you normally wouldn't by either:

A: trying your hardest to make it "Tolerable"

Or my favorite, B: Trying your hardest to make that individual pissed off with things like CQC rev corridor traps and "pinky sandwitches" (a little nasty surprise yet to implemented in my MAP09)

And if that doesn't get you going, you could always play an absolute huge amount of good old 90's wads, none of that modern 10000+ line crap, just solid 90's fun and then try to implement what you found most fun about them in your maps (but in your own special little way), it worked for a lost soul like me, it would sure as hell work for a great mapper like yourself.

P.S, You wouldn't believe how many 90's wads I have played and used for for inspiration, they are definitely a great learning source and a brilliant blast to the past.

mrthejoshmon said:

Just remember that you are your own toughest critic (I'm "improving" my own entire megawad so far because I am unhappy with it), an easy way of using this to your advantage is to absolutely go perfectionist on your maps until YOU are satisfied with the final product, it allows you to improve not only as a mapper but also as a critic/tester. Another thing you can try is looking through the eyes of a complete and utter dick and seeing what their asshole views are, then you can implement things you normally wouldn't by either:

A: trying your hardest to make it "Tolerable"

Or my favorite, B: Trying your hardest to make that individual pissed off with things like CQC rev corridor traps and "pinky sandwitches" (a little nasty surprise yet to implemented in my MAP09)

And if that doesn't get you going, you could always play an absolute huge amount of good old 90's wads, none of that modern 10000+ line crap, just solid 90's fun and then try to implement what you found most fun about them in your maps (but in your own special little way), it worked for a lost soul like me, it would sure as hell work for a great mapper like yourself.

P.S, You wouldn't believe how many 90's wads I have played and used for for inspiration, they are definitely a great learning source and a brilliant blast to the past.

In fact, we don't make mods for ourselves, but also for other people to give them hours of additional gameplay and fun. We have responsibility to make enjoyable and "worth checking" maps. It means that being satisfied with our work is not enough here. I don't consider it as maximalism, it's a kind of basic expectation for our stuff we do.

It's especially hard if I don't have neither time nor mood for playing other WADs, like nowadays. Also, I prefer both classic (simple) and modern (detailed) style. I have some memories, though.

Katamori said:

Some weeks ago, all my datas in one of my HHDs are gone. It includes the files of this project.

No luck retrieving stuff with a disk editor, or are my notes a bit hard to follow?

GreyGhost said:

No luck retrieving stuff with a disk editor, or are my notes a bit hard to follow?

I could get them, but it was proven to be a way too hard task for me. Thanks for helping anyway.

In fact, complete remaking had a positive consequence. Original MAP09 prototype was playable, but also a little bit crowded, and fixing that would have taken way too much time.

Instead, I started creating a flying base-style map. This is the work of ~2 hours.

Sadly I lost MAP03: The Parking House that was finished, now I reboot it. I think it goes even better than I expected!

Those outside shots are brilliant, they remind me of some of the backdrops to NRFTL (Which I used IDCLIP to investigate).

Also, nice job on the parking lot area at the bottom.

Thanks - not a big deal actually: 256 units height, some strictly solid walls combined with raised sectors. Perfect for small buildings, or maybe for villages/favellas.

I'm quite proud of the last picture, too.

Memfis, I'm gone. You killed me :D

Anyway, I know that this is not the best, but there's no way to do anything with the ceiling. Even if I give light to the crates, the ceiling still remains ugly.

I suppose the good thing about losing all your data is it forces you to recreate stuff which typically leads to making it better, which is something people typically don't do. still sucks though :/

Um, why not just make the crate sector have the same brightness as the surrounding bright sectors? That should look OK.

Honestly, outside of some vanilla trick I'm too tired to try and figure out, there's really no way to make that crate and the lighting look any good that I can see - there's not enough room to give the lighting sector around the crate and the crate itself the space they both need to make the lighting look nice and plausable. Having the directional light lead directly in to a doorway doesn't help, either. My advice would be to either take it out, expand the room, or move the crate/lighting to a different part of the room.

After months of silence, I made a new release! MAP03 and MAP09 are now finished. Demo is available in the first post, as usual.

Thanks for the patience guys, I think it can be something successfull in the end.

After almost a year, I'm gettng closer again to have as much finished maps as I had when I lost the previous version.

MAP18 is added, and is called "Ode to November"! Little speedmap inspired by 2002: A Doom Odyessy's E2M1 music. Thank you pcorf!

Also, I need your help! I need the new Metallica song (called Lords of Summer) in MIDI format, for the first secret map. Who can help me?

Katamori said:

Also, I need your help! I need the new Metallica song (called Lords of Summer) in MIDI format, for the first secret map. Who can help me?

Take .....there are probably better versions available but this is the only one i got.