Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Doom 2 In Name Only - Now (supsiciously) on a load of gaming articles

Okay thanks! I've already started the first room:

Only been working on this room for like 30 minutes so its still a work in progress.

Hi, my map, The Crusher, is still very much in production. I had to have a break during Xmas/New Year, and I've had man-flu this week, but at present I am still looking for suitable music and I am re-working sections of the map so it changes appearance when the player treks back to the start area. If I can get this right it should lend things a nightmarish quality.

Very interesting project! looking forward to this! :-)
Me want to play the factory, downtown, suburbs, entryway and more.

Just played a bit of MAP15 and MAP17 to see where my MAP16 would fit in... seems like I'm getting the theme right without trying, awesome. But dang, MAP17 is of such high quality, I don't know if I can match it. ^^;

Not put off, but yeah. I'll soldier on.

Ledillman said:

Very interesting project! looking forward to this! :-)
Me want to play the factory, downtown, suburbs, entryway and more.

Thanks Ledillman :)
3 of those are already avaliable, although you might be waiting for the final thing :P

Anyway, ComicMischief has sent me what he had of MAP30. I think the final area is good to go,

Spoiler

although I did move that second cyber to be on the platform under the Icon's chin.

So...first sin...

In English-speaking countries, the term "lust" is often associated with sexual desire

Now what the hell have I let myself in for? I think Lust for Life/Power is going to be the definite route with this one.

map 11 is crap, you're stuck in a middle of some lava rivers

and there is nothing to protect you

exept for a pistol and a shotgun

no radiation suits or armor or health packs or anything

the author should add protection

joe-ilya said:

map 11 is crap, you're stuck in a middle of some lava rivers

and there is nothing to protect you

exept for a pistol and a shotgun

no radiation suits or armor or health packs or anything

the author should add protection

There is some bullets, a green armour at the start, you have to rob a sergeant of a shotgun. There is one radiation suit to the right of the start in the lava cavern. I played this a few moments back just to recap my own memories of the map and the start is fine.

cannonball said:

There is some bullets, a green armour at the start, you have to rob a sergeant of a shotgun. There is one radiation suit to the right of the start in the lava cavern. I played this a few moments back just to recap my own memories of the map and the start is fine.

Woah, there is a rad suit...I'd been speedrunning it that whole time :P

As far as I can tell, nothing is wrong with MAP11. Takes ages to work out where to go, which I like.

cannonball said:

There is one radiation suit to the right of the start in the lava cavern.

And maybe 5% of the players will find it...

I already completed the map26 Abandoned mines, i have to say that i just loved it! cool atmospheric mapping, it was hard tought hehe, i did it in 15:02 minutes, i don't usually play the maps fast, i take my time.

Memfis said:

And maybe 5% of the players will find it...

I didn't think it was that concealed. It's in plain view if you look back at the start from the platform with the sergeants on it, to the left hand side with the cave entrance on the right. Though probably placing a rad suit on dry land would probably be a good idea.

cannonball said:

I didn't think it was that concealed. It's in plain view if you look back at the start from the platform with the sergeants on it, to the left hand side with the cave entrance on the right. Though probably placing a rad suit on dry land would probably be a good idea.

That will be the problem then. My own route was to skip that staircase completely, running full pelt through the tunnels, and picking up a shotgun from the sergeant by the switch to open the castle door.

cannonball said:

It's in plain view if you look back at the start from the platform with the sergeants on it, to the left hand side with the cave entrance on the right.

It's not!

Ledillman said:

I completed Downtown, it took me 29:45! but it's pretty fun, i loved the subway train detail :-P.

And btw, i found something strange here:
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/9551/screenshotdoom201301051.png

When those barrers raise, it seems that the sectors they use are tagged with some damage, it hurt standing there!

Nvm, there isn't any reason for them to be flagged as damaging.

cannonball said:

There is one radiation suit to the right of the start in the lava cavern

and why arent there any signs or anything?

and its only one

there should be more

joe-ilya said:

and why arent there any signs or anything?

Because, like with every other Doom level, the player is supposed to find it out for themself. What you've suggested sounds like something you'd find in a more modern game.

and theres only one
there should be more

Why? You're only down there for about a minute in the first place...

Ledillman said:

When those barrers raise, it seems that the sectors they use are tagged with some damage, it hurt standing there!

Serious? I´ll check that next week when I return from overseas and fix it if that´s the case.

joe-ilya

it's annnoying reading your posts

there are these useful things called "periods"

you should use them

and you don't have to start a new line after every sentence

this is an online forum

not poetry class

Ledillman said:

I already completed the map26 Abandoned mines, i have to say that i just loved it! cool atmospheric mapping, it was hard tought hehe, i did it in 15:02 minutes, i don't usually play the maps fast, i take my time.

Thanks for the kind words! Due to me slacking off i havent gotten around to updating the map which will probably remove one of the boss monsters.

Hello and good afternoon to anyone! I have good news. My Citadel, after more than four months of development...

...IS FINALLY DONE!!!

At least its first playable version.

It's surprising even for myself how big progress I made in past few days. Probably because I pretty much welched on playtesting and texture alignment. And honestly, I don't want to be bothered by texture alignment in this map anymore, it's a horror even with DB2 autoalign feature.
I downloaded visplane explorer and found that there are few places with visplanes (but not drawsegs) overflow, but all of these places should be inaccessible without cheating. So it's fine.

So, enjoy the map and be sure that I appreciate any feedback. Although I have been mapping for more than a year, this is in fact one of my first releases. As you all know, this map is really really big so there's high probability that I've mistaken some tag, missed some VPO's when doors are open or didn't make an obligatory switch too obvious to find. So if you find any fault, please report.

Finally, the download link :)
http://www.speedyshare.com/S9mxj/citadel.zip

EDIT: I would also like to ask you for help with choice of music. The map currently uses music I stole from some Halloween site, but I admit that the melody might get annoying after some time of playing.

I've been waiting for this a while ;) I like how you've continued it straight from MAP18
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/7051/screenshotdoom201301061.png
http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/7051/screenshotdoom201301061.png
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/7051/screenshotdoom201301061.png
*IMAGE SIZE WAY TOO BIG TO PUT IN IMG TAGS - PLEASE NOTE IMAGE POSTING RULES AND DON'T REPOST IN IMG TAGS WITHOUT RESIZING FIRST*
Some bugs above :P

Well....holy...shit...Proud to say I just got my first 'SUCKS' time of 1:17:45 on this map, and that was using noclip to grab the yellow key, which I worked out how to get afterwards, I think. And I had to resurrect just after noclipping due to two close-quarter barons. But overall, this map is a navigator's nightmare, and I have to say, you've made my catacombs look quite bright and cheerful.
Oh and I was playing on ITYTD :P Quite proud of myself for seemingly killing the second mastermind in a single BFG shot though (debate?), and this is one hell of a map.
Quick question though, I noticed at the start of the map, 16 monsters (33 on UV) seem to randomly die without the player doing anything, I assume there's a reason for this?

I liked the I, II, III puzzle too, as well as the trick of III being lowered, then springing back up again if the player tried to cross it.

I went for such a long time without seeing any monsters at one point that I opened a door with a Mancubus on the other side, and I jumped feet, catching my laptop on the way down.
The final fight is also pretty intense, had a lot of fun with the RL there.

I can understand now why this took such a long time as well, it has twice as many sidedefs as the previous highest (MAP13 IIRC), and the file is bigger than MAP11 and MAP15 combined, I'm just..blown away by this map, and the fact it's within vanilla limits makes it even more amazing.

Eris Falling said:

Because, like with every other Doom level, the player is supposed to find it out for themself. What you've suggested sounds like something you'd find in a more modern game.
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/7518/geezuschrist.jpg
Why? You're only down there for about a minute in the first place...

no , i thought about armor\health bonus signs , that's all
second : you can accidently fall down again , and then youll be dead, i though it will be on easy but it wasn't there either.

Got part of the way through map19 and then decided to take a break. Pretty awesome so far, not sure how lost I am going to get though.
Monsters dying at the start mean only one thing
Ghost monsters

I just don't think the signs are necessary, it was easy enough to beat that section without the rad suit, even on UV. Even I could do it!

As for falling down a second time, I'm guessing you mean the stairs. It looks like the curves were purely a design feature, and following that curve is not necessary. This way should work every time, you don't even need to straferun
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2880/runningr.png
*IMAGE SIZE WAY TOO BIG TO PUT IN IMG TAGS - PLEASE NOTE IMAGE POSTING RULES AND DON'T REPOST IN IMG TAGS WITHOUT RESIZING FIRST*
Bear in mind that's a very rough line.

Eris Falling said:

IMGS
Some bugs above :P

I always thought that ZDoom is clipping the sky somehow weirdly and in vanilla it looks fine, but I wasn't true. And I don't think I'll be able to get rid of it, so I'll probably let it there.

But overall, this map is a navigator's nightmare, and I have to say, you've made my catacombs look quite bright and cheerful.

Yes, I know. The coloured torches and arrows on ground are hints, you get the computer map early (quite early), but as I thought, it's evidently not enough.

Quite proud of myself for seemingly killing the second mastermind in a single BFG shot though (debate?), and this is one hell of a map.

I was able to blow that Mastermind up with one shot even in vanilla, although I've read somewhere that it's impossible because of vanilla's flawed hitscan-detection or something. Weird.

Quick question though, I noticed at the start of the map, 16 monsters (33 on UV) seem to randomly die without the player doing anything, I assume there's a reason for this?

Lying corpses in the church. They were alive. At the beginning, they're killed by barrels so archies can resurrect them later. No ghost monsters, Cannonball. :)

I went for such a long time without seeing any monsters at one point that I opened a door with a Mancubus on the other side, and I jumped feet, catching my laptop on the way down.

Yes, I tried to make there several surprises and jumpy moments. Maybe they could serve as a compensation for a lack of those moments in joe-ilya's map.

I can understand now why this took such a long time as well, it has twice as many sidedefs as the previous highest (MAP13 IIRC), and the file is bigger than MAP11 and MAP15 combined...

Only? :p

Thanks for the feedback.

scifista42: i played ur map, and definitely is a very good map and extensive to. Time play taked was 50 minutes, in the cave where someone need the light glasses was very confused, that part take me the most part of the time, but i have no critics.
Another thing, A question emerged.
So far it has been the map with more cyberdemons, and maps like map13, map12, map11, map15 and this have more difficult(only hardest,no better, all the maps are great)than map21 and map26 in my opinion. So, the level of difficulty varies according the mapper?

Jeez, I go away for a week and Eris gives 'my' map28 away just like that? What do you mean you heard nothing from me, I thought I clearly said at the end of December sometime that I was going to be busy for a while but it wouldn't mean that I'm abandoning anything.

Edit: I should clarify that despite having a very clear idea for map28 that I described earlier in the thread (that I'm pretty happy about), due to being busy I haven't really started working on it yet. I was going to any day now, but I'm not sure I should now that another guy's already working on it. Maybe I should just go put the finishing balance touches on map29 (it's about time I was finished with that damn thing, too)...