Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Doom 2 In Name Only - Now (supsiciously) on a load of gaming articles

Thanks cannonball.
The second shot is what the wall lowers to reveal, with the two masterminds. Not finished with that yet.
To be honest, I only included that second shot to face both directions.

Joseph Lord
Yes please!

Done.

Right, what to put in the Mastermind room... Do they fit in 128 tall sectors?

Eris Falling said:

Done.

Right, what to put in the Mastermind room... Do they fit in 128 tall sectors?

Yes, yes they do as I've done in other maps :)

I would've definitely tried to put some geometry on the ceiling, and maybe even the walls. Also what's up with the liquid textures, are they different between the main sector and the platforms? Otherwise looks and feels pretty cool.

Yea Eris that does look like it will make an interesting fight. Cool looking room, no doubt. However, the walls and the ceiling do look a little bare-- maybe some lights for the ceiling and, say, bloodfalls or something for the walls could really make it pop.

That room is way too square n' flat. The ceiling could use a lot more architectural redesign than just adding lights, IMO.

Antroid said:

Also what's up with the liquid textures, are they different between the main sector and the platforms? Otherwise looks and feels pretty cool.

I was using brown slime before and forgot to change to blood.

As for the ceiling, the columns are an illusio-chimney, so I think texturing the sides would be a good start at un-blanding the area.

Walls don't bother me personally too much, I'll concentrate on the ceilings, if I'm far enough within limits, I'll work on walls too.

Oh wow, now i'm looking at that last screenshot on my PC monitor (last time i was on my laptop) and the walls and most of the liquid are just pitch black, and the ceiling is sort of green. I gotta replace this old piece of trash...

About the walls, the simplest thing to do to them would be adding the classic catacomb-ish niches with stacked skulls. I don't know if that trope is all over your level already though, i don't really remember from the older screenshots. But it is absolutely the first thing that comes to my mind on a mention of both catacobms and bare stone walls.

Antroid said:

I don't know if that trope is all over your level already though, i don't really remember from the older screenshots. But it is absolutely the first thing that comes to my mind on a mention of both catacobms and bare stone walls.

Yep, it is :P The room you teleport to before this area is actually a small catacomb, with two pits with coffins in. The coffins are flagged as impassable so you can get between the pits but not fall in. There's skulls all over that room, and skulls everywhere else. It doesn't help the skull texture is kind of different to a realistic one. What kind of skull is red?

EDIT: Will it be worth updating the DEMO when this part is done? It is like the centerpiece and I want feedback on it's gameplay as well as the visuals. Besides, you can get the two keys now.

EDIT2: Unforuntately, I can't chocorenderlimit this, because I use waterfall textures, parameters don't work..

Eris Falling said:

It doesn't help the skull texture is kind of different to a realistic one. What kind of skull is red?

Oh snap, i totally forgot that the skull texture i was thinking of is actually a flat and can't be used in such a way in vanilla. The fact that i primarily map for zdoom comes back to gently bite me in the ass yet again. :X

Antroid said:

Oh snap, i totally forgot that the skull texture i was thinking of is actually a flat and can't be used in such a way in vanilla. The fact that i primarily map for zdoom comes back to gently bite me in the ass yet again. :X

Yeah I know the one you mean. I've spent a lot of time on this map wishing I could use it as a wall.

Eris Falling said:

EDIT2: Unforuntately, I can't chocorenderlimit this, because I use waterfall textures, parameters don't work..

You're reeeeally going to want to figure out why this is, else you'll be flying completely blind from here on out. In which case you will break a limit eventually. It happens.

Could you elaborate on the problem? "Parameters don't work" doesn't mean anything, assuming you're meaning that -file is "broken," since it can be any one of several errors. Have you tried -merge instead of -file? If that doesn't work, what exactly is the error message Choco is giving you?

Tried both file and merge. Upon IDCLEV22, Chocorenderlimits closes, no message.

I wonder if this is because of too many scrolling walls, might be worth removing a few, since I'll have to at some point.

EDIT: 78 walls unscrolled, it now works. *steps up and bows*

Ah, yep -- that's one of those that Choco doesn't error out gracefully with. Which is kinda weird, actually. :P

Good to hear it's fixed. Renderlimits is pretty much the most important anything ever.

Just as well, because since Visplane Explorer only shows stuff pre-action, It never indicated that I'd have 163 visplanes in the blue key room.
Tomorrow I'll scurry into a cave and redo the architecture in there.

EDIT: Since I can still see 6 maps that have a ? on their progress, and a progress-show deadline was set for Dec 31st, looks like it's PM-time. Fun..

I don't think it's a good idea to rely Visplane Explorer for visplane/segs testing. Sometimes when I use it it'll miss some major overflows, even if action-linedefs don't change anything.

Still alive. But I'm in the final 2 weeks of school semester, and the TNT2 deadline is the day after finals.

Tricks and Traps is the next thing on my plate though. And Ive got a 21 hour bus ride to Florida come new years, followed by another 21 hour bus ride from Florida a few days later. (Go Huskies, ESPN can go suck an orange)

I expect massive progress to occur then, but I will do some stuff between the 15th and that time. Not much though, considering family and holidays and winter job.

Processingcontrol said:

I don't think it's a good idea to rely Visplane Explorer for visplane/segs testing. Sometimes when I use it it'll miss some major overflows, even if action-linedefs don't change anything.

Opening doors can cause this and other changes during progression while a map, the best way is to run around your map in CD Render Limits and check all the angles relying solely in visplane explorer is for donkeys as you mentioned it also does not pick up everything.

TheMionicDonut said:

Tricks and Traps is the next thing on my plate though. And Ive got a 21 hour bus ride to Florida come new years, followed by another 21 hour bus ride from Florida a few days later. (Go Huskies, ESPN can go suck an orange)

Yeesh.. Congrats on the game. Rough year for my Hawks but at least I can say they're the only team that's beaten NIU in their last 20 games.

TheMionicDonut said:

And Ive got a 21 hour bus ride to Florida come new years, followed by another 21 hour bus ride from Florida a few days later. (Go Huskies, ESPN can go suck an orange)

21 hours? And you did 8-hours for TNT 2 IIRC..Is long-time travel your thing?

Anyway, sent out the PM's, got replies for MAP27 and MAP32, the latter of which is coming sooner than you'd think...

Eris Falling said:

21 hours? And you did 8-hours for TNT 2 IIRC..Is long-time travel your thing?

Anyway, sent out the PM's, got replies for MAP27 and MAP32, the latter of which is coming sooner than you'd think...

Not really, since this is my first long travel since the 8 hour trip. But working on doom maps during said long, time consuming trips certainly is.

Speaking of 21 hours, i just finished working on my diploma after a day of 21 hours of tedious work and despair. It's currently 7 am here, and yesterday i got up at 10 am and pretty much worked all day with a couple of breaks. If my math hasn't suffered from lack of sleep, it should be 21 hours. And now to prepare for the eventual ultimate final exam, fix all errors that are inevidably going to be found in my diploma, and eventually (on the 21th of december! hah) present it. Also retrospectively replace all instances of the word diploma with thesis because i may have been calling it wrong.

Soon i'll be able to gather enough will to map for this project some more, yay!

Well after i go to the uni today to show them that i got my pagecount i will probably collapse somewhere on the street. But yeah, if not my math then my english deteriorated apparently.

Okay i got a question for the maker of our map27, monster condo, which appears to be printz. Since i want to start planning out map28, i need to know where to start, for which i need to know how map27 ends and maybe a few words about in what kind of location it takes place overall - underground, or outside, or a building, or what. Of course, the most important part is the ending. I sorta wanted to start my map28 in a deep cave and have a quick ascencion to the surface, but for all i know monster condo is gonna end by exiting some kind of house or something. (crossing fingers for underground, i really want to start with a cave and i really want the majority of hell's levels to be underground also, partly because i kind of hate the d2 hell sky and partly because it would fit better with my plans for map28)

Also what's up with the new thread title?

Antroid said:

Also what's up with the new thread title?

Well, since I need evidence of map development before the end of this month, as was discussed at the demise of the old thread, I thought that sending out PM's about this would be a good idea.

Ribbiks has said he can not finish MAP20, the slot is open