Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Doom 2 In Name Only - Now (supsiciously) on a load of gaming articles

mouldy, thank you so much. The only ones I'm missing from the list are 15, 23 and 27, do you still have these?

So only MAP07, 16 and presumably 13 left and then we're in Beta I guess :)

glenzinho said:

Eris, just want to throw in my two cents here: there's a young man here called mouldy who is very capable and obviously motivated. It might not be a bad idea delegating some tasks to him. Also mouldy, I'm giving you "power of attorney" over my map and anything that may need fixing or improving as you see fit.

Duly noted. I'll call on him next time I make a mistake :D

Eris Falling said:

mouldy, thank you so much. The only ones I'm missing from the list are 15, 23 and 27, do you still have these?

I don't think I downloaded the last version of 15, but here are the latest versions of 23 and 27:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/y8yl148e1cp8qq8/d2ino_23-27.zip

27 had an issue which might need addressing, but joseph jumped on map 16 after that so dunno if they fixed it. If we don't hear from him then I'll see if I can fix that too.

Jaws In Space said:

I think it's pretty obvious. Just do a map like E2M9 or Tricks & Traps or the start of Gotcha or the spider cave in The Spirit World.

Thanks for the advice, will take great advantage of it.

Anyways, I've given the first half of the wad a go. I've seen numerous great and less-great-but-nice-enough tweaks, the most nominal of all of them is MAP11 for me. Just love how that map looks like and is realized.

http://speedy.sh/7X4ut/d2ino-maps-7-and-19.zip

Here are the newest versions of maps 07 and 19.

I kind of rushed playtesting of MAP07. But finally, it may be good, as now when I post it, more people can be involved in the testing. I'd be glad for some demos maybe, too. I seriously don't have any idea how this map would play for someone who isn't familiar with it. You know, this isn't your standard map. This isn't a perfectly thought-out and portioned piece of work where every little detail has an exact purpose. This map is a mess. Towards the end, I totally resigned on ideas and purposefullness and just tried to finish it somehow. That said, please provide feedback.

[EDIT-CORRECTION] Mainly, please: Report visplane overflows. I know there will be some. Visplane Explorer isn't much helpful anymore, because many parts of the map open in front of you, but also close behind you in an attempt to decrease VPOs.

---

Oh and in MAP19, I only fixed a very minor bug - one of the monster closets was open when it shouldn't be yet. I actually knew about that bug for a long while but didn't feel like bothering to upload the whole map just because of one open door - the map worked anyway.

I just looked at MAP19 in the map editor and stumbled across what might be the best secret in this project. It's amazing! And that's all I'm saying on the matter.

Spoiler

Did you also notice how the final arena is altered for coop?
All it has been always there, by the way, I didn't add it just now.

Im gonna upload map23 and 27 again in this week. im not surprised, in all this time even i forgot my maps, so let me review it into this week. About map16...
What is the final judgment?
Has my part approved?

Joseph Lord said:

Im gonna upload map23 and 27 again in this week. im not surprised, in all this time even i forgot my maps, so let me review it into this week. About map16...
What is the final judgment?
Has my part approved?

nice one. I remember the only problem with 27 was I got stuck in the yellow key room without the blue key, and there wasn't anything to open with the yellow key as well.

map 16 I thought was great. There were 2 parts where I could get outside the map: in the starting room you can stand on the lift with the invisibility sphere and use it to jump out the window. Also On sector 710 (opposite the switch to lower the yellow key) you can squeeze past on the left and get in a place you shouldn't. Also a lot of the door frames need lower pegging and there's a missing texture on sidedef 4550.

scifista42 said:

http://speedy.sh/7X4ut/d2ino-maps-7-and-19.zip

Here are the newest versions of maps 07 and 19.

I kind of rushed playtesting of MAP07. But finally, it may be good, as now when I post it, more people can be involved in the testing. I'd be glad for some demos maybe, too.

Cool. I will never get through map 7 without massive save spamming so no chance of a demo from me i'm afraid. One thing I would say about the new bit with the archviles, I found that the other parts can be rushed through in a messy fashion if you aren't bothered about killing everything, which can be quite fun in itself. But that archvile bit tends to slow everything right down to a crawl as you have to pick everything off super carefully. But having said that it is infinitely more preferable than what came before :)

As for map 19, fuck me... that is a map that doesn't know when to end. I just struggled my way through it for the first time and it took me what felt like a couple of hours. I can't say I enjoyed every minute of it really, the whole thing is such a monumental labyrinth there were a lot of times I found myself losing the will to live wondering where to go next. At least this time I had enough ammo though.

edit: in case that last paragraph sounds a bit harsh i should mention it was typed at 3 in the morning

Cell said:

Anyways, I've given the first half of the wad a go. I've seen numerous great and less-great-but-nice-enough tweaks, the most nominal of all of them is MAP11 for me. Just love how that map looks like and is realized.

Thanks!

Ragnor said:

I wonder if this will be out before Devilution :p

Maybe not, but I'd hope it'd be released before Mordeth episode 2!

mouldy said:

As for map 19, fuck me... that is a map that doesn't know when to end. I just struggled my way through it for the first time and it took me what felt like a couple of hours. I can't say I enjoyed every minute of it really, the whole thing is such a monumental labyrinth there were a lot of times I found myself losing the will to live wondering where to go next. At least this time I had enough ammo though.

When was the last time MAP19 was updated? I clearly don't remember when did I give it a go, between March and September, but truly, that map had something with being lengthened and lengthened and lengthened and lengOHMYGODWHEREDOESITENDALREADY!!!11ONE!!!! But was nice at least and did provide a fistful of well-playing fights.

in its defence I did start playing it at 1am and refused to go to bed until I had beaten it. It is a very immersive map in the sense that after while you feel like you have been living inside it. But that corridor maze is a nightmare, and the final final final battle felt a bit superfluous.

My monitor at home is a bit dark and holy shit I couldn't see anything on that map when I glimpsed at it briefly upon the alpha's release. It was nearly pitch black against the background. I'm sure that map will be a delight for me to try and play fully when the time comes :3 About as much as my own maps...

It's all worth it for that secret though, I hope it's the one Eris mentioned, with a megasphere on a... shall we say, "table"?

Yes, and an unusual use of a certain texture, but there's a reason for that, of course. It took me a while to work out what that room was. Brilliant stuff though.

Antroid said:

My monitor at home is a bit dark and holy shit I couldn't see anything on that map when I glimpsed at it briefly upon the alpha's release. It was nearly pitch black against the background.

IDBEHOLDL

Let MAP19 be the documentation of my mapping "ability" at that time, as well as the style of my mind, can be said. I honestly admit that I'm untalented at designs, and my sense for crafting fun gameplay aka the "player's empathy" wasn't and isn't well grown. I'd like to improve to be able to actually make more "sane" maps, enjoyable also by other people than myself. And I'll keep trying, as I enjoy toying with the editor. For now, I think my map(s) are too complex for radical changes, even though they'd deserve them probably. Still, I'm glad I could contribute to the project. And I'm still willing to improve little things on my maps according to people's wishes, to make them at least a bit more acceptable and audience-friendly - if you think it's necessary or very appropriate.

(sorry if the above doesn't make much sense, I am quite tired now)

By the way, the map (MAP19) was pretty much complete when I actually posted the first version, only two minor bug fixes were released since. Also the underground has several light goggles.

-scifista42, author of MAP07 and MAP19 :)

Antroid said:

Still you tongue, I never cheat!

I don't often either, but since I want to complete a dark map when it's broad daylight, it's still more reasonable not to go blind. Personal view, BTW.

Had a quick run through map 7 in chocorenderlimits, came across a couple of vpos:

I'd recommend testing with that program yourself to double check.

And this is why you should make your maps without a single door and with minimal number of moving parts! :D

I was testing the map using Chocorenderlimits all the time, why do you think there's so few overflows? :) Okay, I'll try to fix those two areas, please tell me if you find other.

http://speedy.sh/FAP5e/dedsimpl-dec4-2013.zip

Well, VPO-less version. I honestly hope no more VPOs appear, but can't confirm it. I've run around the known problematique areas and the highest VP count during the playthrough was 122 now.

Spoiler

Did you know that Chocorenderlimits has a key (F3) to jump to a place with highest visplane count? I pressed it after I died, and got near one of the places mouldy noted. And the VP count suddenly jumped on 128 exactly while I was lying on the ground. Well, after that, I removed/flattened even more planes, so it *should* be OK now.

Sorry, but there are still VPOs present. :p
The yellow rock area is the problematic, with far east, invul sphere location and south, in front of the yellow door will give constant VPO. North too, if you try very hard.

There's one more in the starting area, when you exit that techy area. Near that lava pool, look into the techy exit... and there should be one present.

But I think I've found the worst offenders, so I think we're nearly there.

scifista42 said:

Did you know that Chocorenderlimits has a key (F3) to jump to a place with highest visplane count?

Well. I wish I'd known that earlier. This calls for a high and mighty

I was looking for an excuse to post it again, didn't want it to be a one-use thing.

scifista42 said:

http://speedy.sh/FAP5e/dedsimpl-dec4-2013.zip

Well, VPO-less version. I honestly hope no more VPOs appear, but can't confirm it. I've run around the known problematique areas and the highest VP count during the playthrough was 122 now.

You're gonna hate me for this, but I found a couple of problem spots

Seems like just the yellow area now, although with this map i find it hard to know where I am and where I've checked (crunchy choc-doom graphics don't help)

Eris Falling said:

Well. I wish I'd known that earlier.

and f2 clears the max, very handy