Reaper Grimm
User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > [PLAYTESTERS NEEDED] Herbtech beta 1
 
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 05:24. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
NerdKoopa
Junior Member


Posts: 159
Registered: 08-12


I have finally got my first Doom 2 map, Herbtech, in a form that's more or less ready for playtesting.

Herbtech is a simple single player map that takes about six minutes to complete. The premise is that the players find themselves in a facility dedicated to research and development of genetically manipulated plants. Abandoned due to the demon infestation, the facility is slowly being consumed by a rogue experimental plant.

I wanted the visuals of this map to be unlike any other Doom map. Just look at the screenshots and decide for yourself.

The things that currently need attention the most, are item placement, enemy placement on all difficulty levels and map pacing. Custom texture quality and eventually a custom sky are second on the list. I'm hoping to see a lot of constructive critisism!
Meant to be played in ZDoom and with jumping disabled.

Download link here: http://www.mediafire.com/?xypv35wmhaa8jjq

Screenies







Last edited by NerdKoopa on Nov 24 2012 at 16:09

Old Post Nov 24 2012 14:41 #
NerdKoopa is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
NerdKoopa
Junior Member


Posts: 159
Registered: 08-12


Apparently I made a little oopsie.... The texture on the exit door refuses to appear in game! It shows fine in Doom Builder, and there's nothing wrong when looking at the custom textures through SLADE either. I have NO idea why it doesn't show up!

Old Post Nov 24 2012 14:59 #
NerdKoopa is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Memfis
Honestly, semen doesn't taste that bad.


Posts: 7112
Registered: 04-07


Hmm, I guess you're not a very experienced player? Because this was very very easy: you give like 3-4 times more ammo than necessary and the monsters pose very little threat. The final battle is a total joke: what's the point of that ambush if you can just pick up the green sphere and kill everyone before it wears off? I don't mean to bash you, if you find this difficulty enjoyable, that's fine. Just want to let you know that it is REALLY low by today's standards. I still enjoyed playing though, the new theme is very... cute. :) Neat music too. And nice little jokes here and there.

Old Post Nov 24 2012 15:06 #
Memfis is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
NerdKoopa
Junior Member


Posts: 159
Registered: 08-12



Memfis said:
Hmm, I guess you're not a very experienced player? Because this was very very easy: you give like 3-4 times more ammo than necessary and the monsters pose very little threat. The final battle is a total joke: what's the point of that ambush if you can just pick up the green sphere and kill everyone before it wears off? I don't mean to bash you, if you find this difficulty enjoyable, that's fine. Just want to let you know that it is REALLY low by today's standards. I still enjoyed playing though, the new theme is very... cute. :) Neat music too. And nice little jokes here and there.

Ok, so first thing to improve: ramp up the difficulty. Good to know. Thanks! At the time I thought the finale would be a fun little adrenaline rush, but apparently I need to rethink it.

Old Post Nov 24 2012 15:15 #
NerdKoopa is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
grouchbag
Member


Posts: 386
Registered: 05-12


Done or not,I liked it.I think it's especially amusing because I'm a vegetarian.Keep up the good work!Hope it ends up being a megawad.

Old Post Nov 24 2012 15:34 #
grouchbag is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
NerdKoopa
Junior Member


Posts: 159
Registered: 08-12



grouchbag said:
Done or not,I liked it.I think it's especially amusing because I'm a vegetarian.Keep up the good work!Hope it ends up being a megawad.

Thanks! Sorry to disappoint you, but it's going to stay as a one single map.

Old Post Nov 24 2012 15:46 #
NerdKoopa is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
TimeOfDeath
Forum Regular


Posts: 2878
Registered: 06-06


You should say what source port you used to test it, I assume you used ZDoom because I got an error in prboom-plus. Also, I assume you want jumping to be disabled. Here's an FDA I did on zdoom 260.

I liked it. Cool theme. But like Memfis said, it was hella easy on UV, but it would probably be fun for reality.

Old Post Nov 24 2012 16:02 #
TimeOfDeath is offline Youtube || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
NerdKoopa
Junior Member


Posts: 159
Registered: 08-12



TimeOfDeath said:
You should say what source port you used to test it, I assume you used ZDoom because I got an error in prboom-plus. Also, I assume you want jumping to be disabled. Here's an FDA I did on zdoom 260.

I liked it. Cool theme. But like Memfis said, it was hella easy on UV, but it would probably be fun for reality.

Thanks. I'm gonna add some more info on the first post now.

Old Post Nov 24 2012 16:08 #
NerdKoopa is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
NerdKoopa
Junior Member


Posts: 159
Registered: 08-12


Ok, so here's what I'm gonna do for the next stable release.

-Make the current UV difficulty the new ITYTD difficulty.
-Have a custom sky texture.
-Less ammo.
-No more invincibility in the final ambush.
-A statue/sculpture in the lobby fountain.

Old Post Nov 24 2012 19:25 #
NerdKoopa is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
NerdKoopa
Junior Member


Posts: 159
Registered: 08-12


Ok, I've managed to make the custom sky and the fountain sculpture. These will be put in the second beta eventually.






I did end up using the DNA model after all... I really tried to figure out something more original, but nope.

Old Post Nov 25 2012 17:33 #
NerdKoopa is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
All times are GMT. The time now is 05:24. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
 
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > [PLAYTESTERS NEEDED] Herbtech beta 1

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

 

Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is OFF
vB code is ON
Smilies are OFF
[IMG] code is ON
 

< Contact Us - Doomworld >

Powered by: vBulletin Version 2.2.5
Copyright ©2000, 2001, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.