Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonsbrethren

PSX Doom: The Lost Levels - New Pre-Beta Available courtesy of Salahmander2

Nuxius said:

Now that Christmas is over with, hopefully I'll have some time to go through some of the other maps before I start work again.

Ha! *sigh*

Dragonsbrethren said:

I kind of slacked on Caged this week on account of the holiday, but it's nearly done. I did want to get your opinion on what I did with the starting area. I put in some walls to block line of site between each of the four sections. I was actually getting VPO warnings and drawseg HOMs in Chocorenderlimits after adjusting the sector heights in this area, so I figured reducing the amount of geometry visible would be a good idea.

Original
Edit

Ouch. Problem is that with PSX Doom, even if you have something around 64 planes in sight, you're looking at framerates in the lower teens to higher single digits. I figured we would eventually run into problems like this. I'll have to think about this one.

Anyway, I've gotten all of "Odyssey of Noises" down to the height limits, and I'm now working on trying to simplify stuff so it would actually be playable in PSX Doom.

Since Death Egg is dropping out, would anyone mind if I took on "Against Thee Wickedly"? I'd be real interested to take that one on, since it's one of the more complicated maps that was cut from PSX Doom, not to mention it's one of my favorite maps.

Well I've still got my hands full (no major progress since my last post due to my being incredibly lazy over the Christmas/New Year season), so it's all yours as far as I'm concerned.

Should be interesting to see how all the height restrictions cause the map to turn out, go for it.

Wow you guys are awesome! Really want to hear those arch vile sounds from Aubrey Hodges.

It's like you guys are putting together some un-released beta version of psx doom that never saw the light of day.

Added Baron's Den link to the OP.

Nuxius said:

Since Death Egg is dropping out, would anyone mind if I took on "Against Thee Wickedly"? I'd be real interested to take that one on, since it's one of the more complicated maps that was cut from PSX Doom, not to mention it's one of my favorite maps.

Sorry, missed this post before, I put you down for it.

I have to say that none of my edited maps have any reverb, I just don't honestly know how to add it.

Is this still ongoing it sounds like an amazing idea, for many years I have dreamed of doom with the ps1 levels, textures and sounds with all the levels of the pc version, and if this is still ongoing then i cannot wait for it to be released fully. Its going to be an addon episode selected from new game in the PS1 Doom TC isnt it cant wait.

alsoI always thought the PS1 doom was the best atmosphere wise, sure it lacked all the levels but it couldnt be beaten IMO and to have a TC with all these new levels being added its like my dream is coming true haha

Lost Level Updater Version 1.0
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?9xj9fzds9gy43su

Here's an idea I had to easily add newly released maps to a new Lost levels episode, it also configures a ZMAPINFO file so they can be played in order. However some of the wads have internal ZMAPINFO lumps which need to be removed with a wad editor like Slade3 or they won't load. It works out of PSXLost.PK3 so no modification is done to the main PSXDoom.PK3

When you download the maps rename them to LOSTXX in order they appear on the map list on the first post.
So Forsaken Keep would be LOST01.WAD and Dis LOST03.WAD etc....
Then Place them in the Map folder provided before running the UpdateLostLevels.bat.

When this is eventually done, I will add all the levels together and play them as a collosal continual game :D

Poor Doomguy, there is indeed, no rest for the living.

Ragnor said:

Poor Doomguy, there is indeed, no rest for the living.

Speaking of that, it could be very interesting if one decided to simplify the hell out of the NERVE.WAD levels and include them in this. I can't really imagine the end result, though.

Anyway, can I take the Redemption slot?

I've been thinking about claiming Pharaoh, though I won't be able to work on it until the latter half of June.

I thought to try map20. Idea based on "Mt. Erebus" map:

But you can see black sectors on my screen, but I thought to not delete them, because ingame you can't see this + it's not PSX and PC can run it without RAM problems.

But of course it should looks like this:

Also I was changed the height for sectors, where is > 256.
And I was changed Arch Viles into Revenants.
And changed the number of steps in the stairway.

Well, it's W.I.P. map, updates will be soon.

Oh good, a bump :D
I still intend to convert Pharaoh, but as stated before, will still be some time before I can work on it. Judging by the high intensity of posting in this thread recently, I doubt that will be a problem :P

Nice! It's cool to see a big level get some significant changes, it'll definitely feel like something new when we play it. I added you to the OP.

Thank you!

Well, I have mini problem - about monster "points".

In list I see some inconsistencies. In PSX Doom (1-2) final level (remaked Icon of Sin) has many barons + 2 Masterminds.

It's over 26 points. Or...you mean that I can use any number monsters of 1 type?

Well, anyway, I should cut the sector with Mastermind and Cyberdemon...or not?

DeXiaZ said:

Thank you!

Well, I have mini problem - about monster "points".

In list I see some inconsistencies. In PSX Doom (1-2) final level (remaked Icon of Sin) has many barons + 2 Masterminds.

It's over 26 points. Or...you mean that I can use any number monsters of 1 type?

Well, anyway, I should cut the sector with Mastermind and Cyberdemon...or not?

Points only apply on a 'per species' basis - you can use any number of monsters of one type, but obviously within reason; the PSX probably wouldn't be able to handle even half of what the PC could when it comes to huge clusters of monsters at once.

As for remaking Gotcha, you have to keep the Cyberdemon/Mastermind in! It's the only really memorable aspect of the map!

I agree. But I want to ask you - for this map I should delete somebody? (I mean, type of monsters).

There are Cyberdemon, Mastermind, Sergeant, Chaingunner, Imp, Cacodemon, Pain Elemental, Lost Sould, Hellknigt, Baron of Hell, Revenant. (Archviles are replaced on Revenants).

You can remove the barons and replace them with hell knights. I'd also suggest removing pain elementals and lost souls; replacing them with cacodemons when appropriate.

On the boss side, replace the spiders by the cyborgs. With the 22 point value, spidey cannot be used unless the map is centered on it and only one or maybe two other monsters with low point values.

Now with cyberdemon and revenants, you've already blown 20 points of budget. You need not to exceed 6 points from the remaining mobs. That is going to be hard:

Sergeant 2
Chaingunner 3.5
Imp 2.5
Cacodemon 3
Hellknight 4

In fact, I'd advise replacing the 8-point revenants with hellknights and imps, as appropriate depending on the spot. But you'd still be two points over budget, having to remove the sergeants.

Alternatively, replace cyberdemons by mobs of smaller monsters to save 12 points. Though you're still one point over budget that way.

Well, as I said - it's a problem. Cyberdemon and Mastermind must be in this map, but 12 + 22 = 34.

DeXiaZ said:

Well, as I said - it's a problem. Cyberdemon and Mastermind must be in this map, but 12 + 22 = 34.

The first time I played Doom II on the default difficulty (instead of UV), upon getting to The Crusher, I was all "WTF where's the spider?".

You can make the infight differently. It doesn't play such an important role in the rest of the map, and the impact of the novelty of it has long eroded.

BaronOfStuff said:

Or we could just say 'sod the budget' for special cases such as this?

I suppose, although I've never found the cyber vs. mastermind setpiece to be that big of deal, so I kind of agree with Gez.

So if not Cyber vs. Spider, then what could be a replacement then, if any?

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but since this project has open ended standing, that someone could do PS1 takes on Sewers, Betray, and NRFTL.

You might as well cover all your bases.