Doom Marine
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > Doom 2 Minor Sprite Fixing Project - v1.4 Release (updated 3/20/14)
Pages (7): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 » ... Last »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 18:01. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Revenant100

This project is still very much in the back of my mind, but I simply had to step back and take a short break. Combined together, Heretic and Hexen are host to over 4,000 sprites, triple that of Doom 2's sprite count, and each one of those I have to individually check at least once (ideally twice, if not much more) for the sake of consistency and thoroughness. It's the quite the laborious and tiring endeavor on the mind, but I assure you I'll be back on it soon now that I've given my brain a bit of a breather.

Old Post 02-11-13 00:24 #
Revenant100 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Cire

No problem, just wanted to know that the project is alive and well. Thanks for the reply! :)

Old Post 02-11-13 00:32 #
Cire is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Cire

I'm sorry that I keep nagging you about this project, but it's been a while, and I'm really curious whether you've made any more progress on this yet?

Old Post 03-25-13 16:37 #
Cire is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
joe-ilya
Nescient Member

I think that the arachtron should be covered in green light while firing , and the eyes too.

Old Post 03-25-13 18:21 #
joe-ilya is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
bradharding

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but it's been near 4 months... any update on your progress Revenant100?

Old Post 06-09-13 05:41 #
bradharding is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Cire

By this time I think we can only assume that this project has been abandoned. Maybe someone would be willing to take over it?

Old Post 06-10-13 00:33 #
Cire

What color in RGB should the white holes in RSKY2 be filled with?
EDIT: Redundant, see Rev'100's Heretic sprite fixing project.
Some fixed Heretic graphics.

Last edited by Cire on 07-06-13 at 17:19

Old Post 06-10-13 01:35 #
bradharding

Cire said:
By this time I think we can only assume that this project has been abandoned. Maybe someone would be willing to take over it?

Seems like it. Would step in myself, but am too busy with another DOOM related project.

Cire said:

I guess #9F876F (color 132) would work, same as above and below those missing pixels.

Old Post 06-10-13 01:53 #
bradharding is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Dragonsbrethren

Cire said:

255. You should just disable the transparency.

Old Post 06-10-13 02:12 #
Dragonsbrethren is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Cire

Like this?:
Redundant, included in R'100's main project.

Last edited by Cire on 06-27-13 at 20:27

Old Post 06-10-13 02:29 #
Cire

http://filesmelt.com/dl/HXGRAFIX.WAD
Widescreen friendly Hexen graphics

Old Post 06-10-13 02:54 #
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Dragonsbrethren said:
255. You should just disable the transparency.

Yes.

Old Post 06-10-13 03:43 #
Gez is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Cire

Did anyone try out my fix wads? Is there anything else that should be fixed?

Old Post 06-10-13 14:38 #
_bruce_

Could the original re/positioning of the Chaingunner and Archvile during shooting have been on purpose since the projectile/energy they are emitting pushes them back?

Overall - fantastic job.

Old Post 06-10-13 15:14 #
_bruce_ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Cire

_bruce_ said: "Could the original re/positioning of the Chaingunner and Archvile during shooting have been on purpose since the projectile/energy they are emitting pushes them back?"
Possibly, I'm not sure...
_bruce_ said: "Overall - fantastic job."
If that was refering to the fixes I did - thanks!.

Old Post 06-10-13 15:22 #
Xtife

Sad that this project is on the back burner with so much left to do. Was looking to seeing those last few changes that were pending such as the lost soul sprites.

Old Post 06-23-13 05:33 #
Xtife is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Cire

Totally agree, I just hope someone takes over the project sometime.

Old Post 06-23-13 12:23 #
Revenant100

I sincerely apologize for my absence. I got sidetracked by a lot of real world affairs and I put Doom on the backburner for a while, ending up a lot longer than I intended. That's not an excuse for leaving everyone in the dark, however, so please forgive my indiscretion.

I'll release the next update of my Doom/Doom 2 project within the next few days. I said this was going to be the last version, but I never had the chance to hunker down and tweak the fine details, so another update may be possible. There aren't any major changes planned, but I believe it's the little details that really sell the final result.

I'll also release the Heretic sprite fixing project as well. As I said before, I have it nearly completed, but I left the trickiest tasks last. Cire, I'll take a look at your fixes to see if I can merge anything into my version, but I've likely already covered all of the bases you could imagine.

Unfortunately, I still consider Hexen to be very daunting and complex endeavor.

_bruce_ said:
Could the original re/positioning of the Chaingunner and Archvile during shooting have been on purpose since the projectile/energy they are emitting pushes them back?
These are definite instances of an auto-center option being liberally applied to the sprite offsets without additional adjustments. For the Heavy Weapon Dude, you can tell that the auto-center was applied after the muzzle flash was drawn, causing the jittering. This issue is most common in the side/angled/rear sprites as they didn't receive as much attention as the front-facing sprites, probably because id assumed the monsters would be facing you directly most of the time. However, some of the earliest versions of Doom exhibited obvious instances of unadjusted auto-center artifacts on front-facing sprites, namely the Imp's attacking frames, that were quickly fixed in subsequent patches. Hence, id considered inconsistent sprite offsets to be an issue worth fixing.

Old Post 06-23-13 12:27 #
Revenant100 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Cire

Revenant100, no problem, I'm so glad you answered back though, I was seriously worried something really bad had happened to you. :/ Glad to hear you're OK though, and looking forward to your projects!

Old Post 06-23-13 12:43 #
_bruce_

Thanks for clearing that up Rev'100 - as said before... awesome work that's appreciated!

Old Post 06-23-13 13:44 #
_bruce_ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Blue Shadow

Cire said:
I was seriously worried something really bad had happened to you.

Wow! Just because he put something, which is a hobby, on the side because he was very busy with real life stuff?

You know that there are things more important than modding for a 20-year-old game, right?

Old Post 06-23-13 13:49 #
Blue Shadow is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Cire

Yeah, true - I guess I was overreacting, sorry, I'm probably too obsessed with Doom, ;).

Old Post 06-23-13 14:08 #
Revenant100

After a much-too-long delay, I'm happy to present version 1.3 of this project. While not a huge update, there are still a number of refinements striving ever closer to the goals outlined in my initial post. The biggest visual difference here would be the restoration of the long unseen pre-1.666 Lost Soul front-facing sprites, which if you haven't seen it yet above, looks like this:
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/739/animlostsoul.gif

(Outdated, see original post)

I will now direct my efforts towards finishing my Heretic sprite fixing project. I should hopefully be able to get it done within the next few days.

Last edited by Revenant100 on 03-20-14 at 07:31

Old Post 06-27-13 04:46 #
Glaice
formerly Mr. Chris

This is a fantastic piece of work to see some of the mistakes made during game development to be correct, even a full rotation for the SS Nazi's shooting frames!

Old Post 06-27-13 15:51 #
Glaice is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Cire

Fantastic job. I'm eagerly awaiting the Heretic sprite fixing project.

Old Post 06-27-13 21:41 #
Xtife

Awesome, thanks for this

Old Post 06-28-13 00:15 #
Xtife is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Solid Snake

NightFright said:
If you are looking for Heretic and Hexen widescreen HUDs, these have been done already and can be found in this thread (among some other stuff).

The widescreen HUDs available there have been done quite well and don't require a remake IMHO.

Hey, you have any idea where to get widescreen HUD for doom? Right now it looks like this for me, using zdoom:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ehsow5j3z...0714_221301.png

Old Post 07-14-13 20:16 #
Solid Snake is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Revenant100

As posted by NightFright, there's a widescreen Doom HUD made by MG_Man here:
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26056

Old Post 07-14-13 21:13 #
Solid Snake

Thanks man!

Old Post 09-11-13 16:55 #
Solid Snake is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
NightFright

I am not sure whether or not this qualifies to be added to the project, but I think it would fix nicely, anyway.

I realized the help screens (HELP1 for Doom, HELP for DOOM II) have a few minor glitches. The most obvious one is the word "QUICKSAVE" which seems to start with an "O" since the bottom line of the letters had been cut for some reason. Especially on HELP1, many letters have red pixels which seem to be leftovers from sloppy copy-paste/conversion work. Letter edges are missing, there are some pixels where there shouldn't be etc.

I have cleaned up the screens (even HELP2 which is only shown in Doom Shareware) and you can check the result here. You would have to zoom in closely probably to see the difference, but at least you should be able to see the fix for the "Quicksave" word.

Download:
Doom 1+2 Help Screen Fix (134 KB)
(Contains the BMPs for HELP, HELP1, HELP2 and a small wad which you can use to check it ingame.)

Comparison screens:
Doom 1 help screen comparison (left: original, right: fix)
Doom 2 help screen comparison (left: original, right: fix)

If you think these are worth being included with your project, feel free to use them.

Old Post 12-17-13 10:11 #
NightFright is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote