Mancubus
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > [WIP] Supplice -- Oh hey, DM maps!
Pages (2): « 1 [2]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 10:34. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Nomad
Not dumb enough to get a custom title

I like the demons with pants.

Also this looks amazing

Old Post 11-30-12 05:09 #
Nomad is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ed

I knew the color scheme reminded me of something

Old Post 11-30-12 08:46 #
Ed is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Phml
Forum Staple

And I'm pretty sure no one wants to a play a megawad full of 2-hour long maps.

Admittedly depends on whether the maps are enjoyable or not, but you'd be surprised.

Old Post 11-30-12 11:17 #
Phml is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
franckFRAG

Mechadon said:
Like you said, I'm pretty much stuck on Boom compatibility and that most likely won't change. But there are what I think valid reasons why I chose Boom over, for example, ZDoom UDMF. I'd like to explain them so you can better understand my position :)

One reason, albeit a small reason, was to force myself to stay within the Boom-set static map limits. I really don't want to make something like this or this for 32 straight maps. And I'm pretty sure no one wants to a play a megawad full of 2-hour long maps. But like I said, that's a pretty small reason. I could [or should] be able to make small maps no matter how large the static limits are.

Another reason why I went with Boom was because I needed no more or no less features than it offered. My goals really didn't call for lots of additions or changes; there's still the core of vanilla Doom resources there which the project would rely on. Boom's dehacked format allowed me just enough wiggle room to add and change what I want without the need to escalating to a format like DECORATE. The map actions in Boom provided me with plenty of room to get creative; there's the generalized action format, voodoo dolls, MBF sky transfers...and that's all I really needed. Even with the scope of the project steadily expanding, Boom still offered all I needed.

Probably the main reason why I went with Boom, though, is because it is considered a standard format. Because of that, many source ports are either derived from Boom or are compatible with Boom features. So it is very portable, meaning it can be played in all sorts of ports - (G)ZDoom, PrBoom+, Eternity...hell, even the original Boom engine if you wanted (ok technically you'd want to play it in MBF, but it should still run in Boom). If, for example, I restricted the map set to GZDoom, it would only run in GZDoom and only people who play wads in GZDoom could play it. I wanted a wide playing audience, and Boom certainly provides the opportunity for that.

There are downsides to working in more advanced formats as well, at least for me personally. I could start on a relatively humble project using an advanced format. As I work, I keep seeing those nifty features dangle over my head, and eventually I decide to try and make use of them. That continues until all the bells and whistles I've made use of creates something way more complex and huge than I intended. And the more complex it gets, the harder it is to maintain quality throughout. This happened with a previous project of mine and it ended in disaster. That also sort of happened to me with Vela Pax, where my port of choice got support for a node format which allowed me a huge amount of breathing room for my maps. And that's how those maps became so gargantuan (I set the bar so high so now I gotta keep it up for 3 more maps UGH).

I can understand why you might want to see this being made for GZDoom and UDMF. Ultimately those more advanced formats don't automatically create a better end-product. If anything it can make it much harder for the final release to be of high quality. Boom offered everything I needed and nothing more, so that's why I went with it ;)

I totally agree on what you have say. The format boom was always an excellent choice, in particular for the competitions of demos. There was a time period where I mapped in format Zdoom, I abandoned this format, because a lot of feature, even if they are interesting, are not largely useful and are more suited for the aestheticism of the map. I also find all as it is necessary in boom format, which I need, because the important for me, it will always be the apsect of the gameplay that details superfluous which make certainly more beautiful a map, but useless rest, the atmosphere makes everything.

I hope that you are well to move forward on this new project, I remember that you have to mention the Supplice's project, one or two years ago maybe, accompanied with some screens, the result is totally different now with compared with my memories, the result are very surprising :), as most of people, I like the new pallet, and the design of the shotgun. Such a project (a megawad of 32 maps) needs to be supported well by other mappers, I am delighted to see that Jimmy contributes to the project. :)

Old Post 11-30-12 12:06 #
franckFRAG is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Mechadon

Thanks again for all the positive comments guy :). Kyka, actually I'm planning on finishing Vela Pax first. Unless I get really sick of working on it, in which case I'll move back to Supplice. That is a very likely possibility :P

Avoozl said:
It's a shame you dropped the idea of making it on the Kex engine.

I will eventually make some Doom 64 maps at some point, just because I love that game to death. While planning this project though, the KEX engine didn't have nearly as many nice editing capabilities that it does now (the biggest being DB64). We weren't sure how long it was going to take for Kaiser to work in the features we would have needed at the time, so I just opted to stick with Boom. There's also the fact that some of the Doom II monsters are missing and we really wanted to add them to the game (that in itself is a huge project). No doubt it would have been really awesome to work this into the KEX engine though.

Phml said:

Admittedly depends on whether the maps are enjoyable or not, but you'd be surprised.

I suppose it would be more accurate to say that I do not want to make a megawad full of 2+ hour long maps. As much as I like to make big maps, it would take me years to do just the mapping. It doesn't surprise me that someone out there would like to play something like that. But I want to preserve some of my sanity if I can :P

Old Post 12-01-12 23:16 #
Mechadon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Mechadon

I was playing around in our resource wad tonight and it dawned on me that I haven't updated this thread in a long while. I was also listening to one of the Tango TV Part B sessions (the one with some of the project/community discussion), and I picked up on the fact that not a whole lot is really known about Supplice. So hey, here's an update! But it's not all good news.

Cage, our main mad graphic/sprite guy, had to take an extended leave from the project due to some real life circumstances. This actually happened months ago and I just didn't bother to update. Anywho, last time I talked with him, he isn't planning on leaving the project entirely, but is just taking a sabbatical until further notice.

I'm really pushing to finish up Vela Pax this year. So I took Cage's break as an opportunity to focus myself towards Vela Pax as much as possible. So in effect this means that I am also not working on Supplice, at least not in a direct manner.

So the tl;dr version is this - Supplice is on hiatus until further notice. Basically I'm not going to work on Supplice until I finish Vela Pax (unless I get so sick of Vela Pax that I just need to work on something else). Jimmy and Bouncy are still on board with the project, as far as I know, and they may or may not be working on it in our absence.

Oh yea, there is some good news! Bouncy joined the team recently as a sound effects guy :). We're hoping for new sounds for the weapons, environment actions, some of the new monsters, and anything else we can replace once those areas are filled.

Also, while we are on hiatus, the good news is that 2012 was super productive for the project. We've got right around 1300 textures and flats in complete and semi-complete states. The dehacked work for the new monsters, updated monsters, and tweaked weapons is pretty much done. I would say at least half of the new sprites are finished (the majority being items and decorations). Jimmy has made some really awesome music so far. And Bouncy has donated some excellent sound effects that should help reinforce the industrial~ish mood of the project.

There's just a ton of stuff we've gotten done, and most of it hasn't really seen the light of day yet. I'm not sure what the best method to show off this new stuff is since we don't really have any maps to speak of (other than test maps and what was made for the project announcement). So I might try to leak some more content in the future :)

*edit*

Heh, I forgot that I posted some shots in the ZDoom forums a while back. Not sure why I never posted them here...anyways:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v63/Mechadon/th_Screenshot_Doom_20130131_022624.png http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v63/Mechadon/th_Screenshot_Doom_20130202_031150.png

These are just some shots from test map craziness, nothing special. But I guess it is better than nothing?

(Sorry for the crappy photobucket links by the way, I can upload them to a better host later if need be)

Old Post 05-16-13 09:12 #
Mechadon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
killer2

Took a look at the screeniez. This looks really nice as far as I can tell. Not enough TC's/Zdoom wads these days. Really looking forward to this project!

Old Post 05-16-13 10:24 #
killer2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Katamori
Forum Staple

I still love the way you use colours.

Old Post 05-16-13 11:31 #
Katamori is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
kmxexii

Mechadon said:
I was playing around in our resource wad tonight and it dawned on me that I haven't updated this thread in a long while.

You're super cool, this is super cool, and it will be super cool when this is released. Keep on truckin'; I'm looking forward to Vela Pax!

Old Post 05-16-13 13:41 #
kmxexii is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
schwerpunk

Some things -- like this -- are worth the wait.

Old Post 05-16-13 13:54 #
schwerpunk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Mechadon

Hello fellers! I'm glad some of your are digging what Cage, Jimmy, and myself are attempting to plant. We're still technically on a hiatus from this project, but a few weeks ago I decided to play around with our resources on some existing DM maps of mine. This kind of jump started a spurt of activity which led me to semi-plan a screenshot showcase of Doom's 20th.

So first, have some screenshots!

http://i.imgur.com/3G1iPXhs.png http://i.imgur.com/uF3ZcR1s.png http://i.imgur.com/Uv0457ns.png http://i.imgur.com/tCUkOsls.png http://i.imgur.com/3jpTcfls.png http://i.imgur.com/1psZ1mGs.png

I can't post them all at once, so here's an album with all of them.

Jimmy and I both converted some maps and Cage worked on a few new textures and sprites. I haven't shown off much in regards to this project, so I hope this slew of screenshots will be somewhat interesting to look at. Most of our "themes" cover more terrestrial stuff, though I did attempt a gothic/hell themed map as you can see. As time goes on, we will have more and more textures to play with of varying designs and themes.

So I guess one obvious question is why are we doing DM maps when Supplice is supposed to be a SP/COOP affair? That's a good question! A while back I decided that if we have some down time working on other projects, that it might be cool to do a DM pack alongside the main project. Our resource pool keeps growing and it would be a shame to not utilize it as much as possible. After all, there will only be 6 maps per episode in the main project, which isn't much if you wanna play with the resources a lot. So as we continue working, we'll be doing some DM maps on the side. I don't really have a set goal on a number of maps, but I think we'll just do whatever we feel comfortable with. So far I've done 5 finished maps and Jimmy has done 2, so that's a pretty respectable start. There are a few more 32in24 maps I wanna convert and I also have some more obscure/unknown DM maps from the past that I will likely heavily revamp as well. So if we end up with a megawad of DM maps, then that's just more content for you guys :)

If you guys have any questions, shoot them at me and I will happily answer them.

Old Post 12-11-13 04:44 #
Obsidian
Forum Staple

Need a mapper and/or DeHackEd guy? Heh, worth a shot. I've got some samples I can send you if you like.

Old Post 12-11-13 04:49 #
Obsidian is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

That looks severely awesome.

Old Post 12-11-13 05:20 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Mechadon

Well, I seem to have completely forgotten that I posted in here o_0

Obsidian said:
Need a mapper and/or DeHackEd guy? Heh, worth a shot. I've got some samples I can send you if you like.

Mappers = a slim maybe. We're still not at the point where we want to start map production for the singleplayer/coop set. But when we do get there, we may find that opening up the project to some other mappers might be a good idea (just to help get the project moving along at a faster pace). Most likely it will be invite-only. But I'll certainly keep you in mind Obsidian :)

Other than that, I've got the dehacked pretty much covered at this point. There are a few new things I'm looking to add, but otherwise everything is done.

What we really need is another sprite artist to help Cage out, particularly with a couple of the big sprites (the new end boss in particular). But that is a really big slot to fill and I'm not expecting anyone to come along and fill it anytime soon.

esselfortium said:
That looks severely awesome.

Thanks man, I appreciate that! If you ever want to take a sneak peek at this stuff, let me know.

Old Post 12-16-13 20:27 #