Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom OG

Castle Doom Released - [Re-Released]

Ok, I've gotten some initial feedback from a couple of people and based on that I've just uploaded a tweaked version, which is in processing right now on the ftp server.

It addresses some of the more tricker parts to make it more obvious that you have to do certain things when you seem stuck, such as shooting a particular area, etc.

I'm happy to adjust any parts that might be too confusing, so just let me know! :)

(All switches and doors _do_ work as designed, I promise...you just might have to find a switch or two.)

Checked this wad out, just a few visual issues,
There is a hom on map09, not entirely sure how it's caused as there are no missing textures.
Map18 - The centre pillar in the large spider arena has not been textured at all (linedefs 23, 25, 29 and 30)
Quality of the wad is mixed, some good stuff, some bad, same with visuals though on the most part the texture choice is pretty decent.
Made a demo of map29 anyway
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1136917
Oh and yeah I posted a review on idgames, hope I didn't come across too harsh, there is a lot of promise but I feel the points I made should be taken into account to give a better product :)

Thanks for the feedback.

PS

And thanks for actually owning up to your review, unlike the two cowards. :P

Here's some feedback after 6 maps. Yes, only 6 maps.
Levels: are small, i had a feeling that these 6 levels that i've finished could've been easily combined into 3.
Exits: Okay, i can understand when the exit is a line in front of a fake next level, but what's the point of teleporting the player right in front of the locked exit door? Why not let him at least touch it? This is really hurts immersion and contributes to the suspicion that levels are too small.
Stairways: GOD. DAMN. Couple of times i almost broke my neck while trying to follow the tilting view.
Details: almost zero details, and those that are present are crude, like giant thrones.
Texturing: i was really disappointed with the use of METAL texture for rising stairs and platforms. Considering how many there are rising stares not using a new and pretty texture is a major flaw. Same with the stock switches, small ugly boxes with random textures like green hexagons on MAP02. Some parts are down right ugly, like the start of the MAP04: orange AND red floors, green marble, STUCCO castle walls.
Features: the maps that i've seen lack features that i'd expect from something castle-themed. For example, on the first map there is Invisibility atop of one the houses outside the castle. How do you get it? You jump from he castle walls to the roofs? No, you walk up to the house wall and press use, which lowers the wall. Disappointing.
Gameplay: there was not a single encounter that made me interested in the rest of the megawad and action on these 6 maps was quite diluted. The environments are not used to their full potential encounter-wise.
Secrets: so, there's a secret marked by a candle on each map, huh?

MORE WORK IS NEEDED

Thanks for the feedback.

"Levels: are small, i had a feeling that these 6 levels that i've finished could've been easily combined into 3."

Compared with "anonymous" comments:

"This megawad was boring. The levels were ginormous for its own good. Amateurish at best for the level design. 1/5"

Which is it, too big or too small, heh?

Zahid said:

Suggested complevel?

I used complevel 9 for the demo I did, but I think someone with more knowledge (memfis) might be better to ask.

Which is it, too big or too small, heh?

For example, the part of the MAP02 that the player sees from MAP01 is almost the whole level. The third map is linear and short, i can remember all areas one by one.

Who knows what that fucker meant, it's not like he specified which levels were ginormous or what he considers ginormous or why is it bad. This is why archive comments provide 0 useful feedback for level makers.

Harmata said:

For example, the part of the MAP02 that the player sees from MAP01 is almost the whole level. The third map is linear and short, i can remember all areas one by one.

Who knows what that fucker meant, it's not like he specified which levels were ginormous or what he considers ginormous or why is it bad. This is why archive comments provide 0 useful feedback for level makers.

True dat.

Level 2 was very small size-wise, but I thought finding the four switches would add some length to it. A friend of mine couldn't find them, so he had me put torches in as hints...maybe it is too easy now.

"Exits: Okay, i can understand when the exit is a line in front of a fake next level, but what's the point of teleporting the player right in front of the locked exit door? Why not let him at least touch it? This is really hurts immersion and contributes to the suspicion that levels are too small."

Wait, which level are you talking about?

Gameplay: there was not a single encounter that made me interested in the rest of the megawad and action on these 6 maps was quite diluted. The environments are not used to their full potential encounter-wise.

Ok, aside from the comments about switches and color choices, etc, this comment is something I definitely do want to fix; gameplay being most important to me.

Can you give me an example of an area/encounter that could be different and better, in your opinion?

Thanks!

Well, for one thing, you could totally increase monster counts by a factor of 3 and still have room for more stuff in each room. For rooms the size you have them, there should me more things to kill.

General Rainbow Bacon said:

Well, for one thing, you could totally increase monster counts by a factor of 3 and still have room for more stuff in each room. For rooms the size you have them, there should me more things to kill.

You didn't get to map 12 yet, did you? ;)

Ok, I've added a lot more monsters. I'll wait to re-upload until I change additional things though based on more feedback.

@marysson:

No, no I didn't. I'll check it out.

E: Played map 12. Still easy. Make more of them chaingunners and toss some upper level monsters in those rooms : revenants, archies, hellknights, etc...

Make it more challenging, a room full of zombiemen is still pretty easy.

Can you give me an example of an area/encounter that could be different and better, in your opinion?

In general, encounters are very crude and bland, just look at the giant box with demons on the first map. The encounters and details rely on map's layout, this is why it's better to plan them when you are designing the layout, because otherwise you'll be limited by the layout.

MAP01: Instead of placing 6 houses in 2 rows why not create a castle village inside and outside the castle and arrange some street fights?

It would be cool to fight atop of all castle walls, around the courtyard.

A visit from a high-tier monster like Mancubus would be nice.

MAP03: I'd removed corridor with Barons completely, because the biggest challenge is not them but the door that kept getting between my rockets and Barons. The Cacoes appear in the same way as demons on the first map. In the same lame way.

MAP06: The HKs and Barons above the "throne room" which is filled with HKs and Barons are redundant, Revenants would perform better. Cyberdemon is pointless, i understand what you wanted to show but it wasn't worth it. Besides, the player as the king is cool too.

One Imp in each far away tower is just silly. What did you even expect from them? Same for the Imps above the yellow door.

Ok, I've added a lot more monsters. I'll wait to re-upload

Oh yeah bro you do that, you really do that.

Harmata said:

In general, encounters are very crude and bland, just look at the giant box with demons on the first map. The encounters and details rely on map's layout, this is why it's better to plan them when you are designing the layout, because otherwise you'll be limited by the layout.

MAP01: Instead of placing 6 houses in 2 rows why not create a castle village inside and outside the castle and arrange some street fights?

It would be cool to fight atop of all castle walls, around the courtyard.

A visit from a high-tier monster like Mancubus would be nice.

MAP03: I'd removed corridor with Barons completely, because the biggest challenge is not them but the door that kept getting between my rockets and Barons. The Cacoes appear in the same way as demons on the first map. In the same lame way.

MAP06: The HKs and Barons above the "throne room" which is filled with HKs and Barons are redundant, Revenants would perform better. Cyberdemon is pointless, i understand what you wanted to show but it wasn't worth it. Besides, the player as the king is cool too.

One Imp in each far away tower is just silly. What did you even expect from them? Same for the Imps above the yellow door.

Oh yeah bro you do that, you really do that.

I've implemented all of your suggestions after thinking about them for awhile, to include expanding level 2 with two new areas. A lot more action has been included, but I also changed some colors and such. I'll upload in a bit.

Ha, I can barely get in the front gates of Map 1 on UV now...you better be ready for the updated version. :P

yeah, it's better now.

You gotta change the music for map 01 now though since I'm there longer. I hate it. It sounds like a cheap re-imagining of e2m1, just use it if that's the sound you want.