Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
schwerpunk

[RELEASE] Monochrome Mapping Project (latest fix August 1st, 2013)

Well, as I predicted, the map is not complete by now. The map layout itself is about 75% done. (There's some work that needs to be done in the upper right corner of the map especially, and the map is not completable in its current form. The monster placement at the beginning of the map has been started but isn't really completed much farther past the gas station. Nonetheless, I figure I should upload what I have so far and get whatever criticism I can on what's been done.

Download

Also, I should mention that the track was created by my brother, who wants to be credited as TheKingLunar.

I'm guessing that May 6th deadline isn't happening then? If so, could you give us an estimate for when this will be ready for the public?
I'm eagerly awaiting this project to release; so much so that I'm striving to rush through my Coffee Break LP to free up time for it! (that and for the DMMegawad thread)

Well I originally said it would take another week at most, but I think I may be able to finish the rest within the next three or four days, maybe less if I'm lucky.

@ gggmork: interesting ...

@ schwerpunk & everyone: since we all want Death Egg's & Corsair maps in this first release, it's VERY hard to even ask for a precise deadline/release date [but soon]. That's one. Two, schwerpunk is the man of the project.

Well, ..., I will get back to work :). If your name appears somewhere in the upper paragraph, FEEL free to update/wise us. [EDIT I just saw schwerpunk's name is in that paragraph :)]

Thank you :)

@ Suitepee & entrants & other interested parties: Firstly, please pardon my absentee status from this thread. Secondly, huge thanks to pfl for picking up the slack. Re the deadline: It's been moved to the ASAPth of May, hehe. So now is the time to either hunker down and finish your map, or save it for later. Re the pending entries: I agree with pfl that we should wait for these last few entries before shipping the project, at least if there's any chance of them being finished before... say, mid-May.

@ pfl: Since you've volunteered to pack the megawad, and your activity in this thread has essentially saved the project from limbo, I'm leaving the final deadline in your hands. You've got more up-to-date experience with the new maps, so I think you're more capable of making an informed assessment of our progress. So yeah, if Doomworld has titles you've just been promoted to co-lead on this project. Godspeed.

P.S. Hopefully I haven't mentioned this before, but by way of excusing my absence, I'm serving as best man at my best friend's wedding, and the bachelor party is proving a chore to organize.

@ schwerpunk: :-))) from mine & the ones I attended for friends, these out of control happenings will rarely proceed the way they were intended :)Hey, I've had one of my friend chained for hours against a stop sign pole being the slave of ANY passer-by until the police came in (none of this was meant). Mine was suppose to be with THE FAMILY & they were all there (MANY) when I got suddenly kidnapped ... nobody ever saw me again ... Heh heh. Good luck & have fun. Lucky.

@ Everyone: Please give moderate signification to the "unupdated" list of entries (pending & others) from the first post; we are NOT CNN :) This will likely be replaced by DWMMP1.WAD on wednesday 15/05/2013. EDIT: just a few days more to add two more wonderful maps.

Achtung! Achtung!: If you wish to give this AWESOME project one nice Monochromatic map of yours or an update, well, this will likely be now :)

Not the 15 >:

Have a good Monochromatic Pistol Start countdown ... :)

I would propose some cut version of Monochrome Project, if there are people to eagerly await this. Also, if there are mishaps or errors in other maps, full/final version can be put out to fix those.

@ Corsair: at the moment, we have all expected maps in the box except TWO WONDERFUL ones, in progress. Since you & Death Egg have been present & dedicated for the project, it had to be considered; even more when I see where you guys are targeting at :)

This is not the new iPad. We can take the time to get this out with everybody on board. Family-like :)

There will be some absent maps from the pending entries list. Yes, some have forgotten or moved somewhere else. Who knows ...

Death Egg has evaluated it's completion remaining time. This extended extention will cover this period. It was extended a bit more to accomodate you also. A cut version of the wad, like you suggest, would just cut YOU. If you can give us something BEFORE the 15th, I would be very happy. Ultramarine Kingdom has got to be part of the original release :-) BUT, if it can't, well, DWMMP1.WAD will mutate into DWMMP1-1.WAD :))))

I would have the map turned in by now, but I'm trying to fix a bug that makes it incompletable. Otherwise, it's pretty much ready to turn in. On another note, I created my own version of monochrome weapons after seeing the ones in the OP, which are... really ugly. Download here. I also modified some of the projectiles so they weren't transparent anymore, as they blended into the background too much and made them difficult to see and dodge, but I'm a dumbass when it comes to coding so only half of the things are actually not transparent now. (Would be nice if someone else could get it to work for the other monsters as it makes it difficult to play sometimes)

Weird bug, Death Egg. I don't think I've seen that one before... Have you tried using ACS_LockedExecute instead? To make the script require the blue card, use tag '2' in the 'lock' section.

If you post the wad I can often tinker with the acs to figure out the problem/make it work. Maybe some other script is affecting something or who knows without seeing it all.
Really cool looking map by the way (downloaded your previous link, doesn't have script 6 or whatever in it though). Did you deliberately set ability to jump off or something? I'm wondering if I have something retarded set in my zdooms. I don't hear music either.
All unique textures have to be put in the main wad I guess, but I guess that's obvious. Maybe monochrome weapons or whatever mentioned could be separate bonus wads to optionally drag/drop with main wad.

I discovered the issue, which turned out not be anything to do with the script itself... I forgot to label the linedef as Repeatable Action, which resulted in the issue. And yeah, I had set jump and crouch off, mostly because jumping broke the map sequence at the bridge. (Jumping off results in you skipping a linedef that activates a script that spawns the monsters in the later part of the map) If this is an issue, I suppose I could try and circumvent the issue rather than remove the ability to jump altogether.

Paint the Town Red/Escape From Bumfuck Nowhere

I'm not completely happy with the results myself, but that may be because I'm pretty critical of my work now anyways. It's recommended that you play this in OpenGL rather than software, as software mode lends itself to graphical errors fairly often. Map is more focused on the battles and the scenery than it is on having a non-linear layout, so don't expect the map of the year or anything. I tried to have the focus be on the rocket launcher and the chaingun (and, if you can find the secret plasma gun, that too) so the shotgun doesn't show up till midway through the map, and the super shotgun is in a secret as well.

If there are any bugs, just let me know.

death egg: tried your map, i don't know why it is so laggy, maybe becouse my crappy intel video card does not support opengl rendering? otherwise i don't understand why... i don't see any 3d use here excluding the bridge.
the revenant's rockets are near invisibles here, but i don't think this is fixable here, unless someone create a greyscale monter pack i suppose...

died a few times for stupid mistakes (tryied to rocked launch a charging lost soul while PEs was shooting other ones at me, tryied to chansaw 20 demons at the same times, stuff like that, the last fight can be totally avoided, maybe locking the final house until the cybra is dead can help?

a final question: you can make a map utilize a different palette from onother one in the same wad?

Time passes by ... and for a little update.

- Still "harrassing" three authors for masterpieces maps. One declined ... :(

- Ordering of the maps is done. It could have been anything, really. Well, it'll be (subject to approval by Schwerpunk before release) a mix of surprises and unpredictable with a slight increasement of difficulty. None of the positions here are weak. Every slot is a winner :)))

- Packing the wad is virtually finished. BUT, still have some problems dealing with formats incompability. Working still on solving those. I'll get back here soon if I can't work it out alone.

- Title Pic is coming (Scientist).

Just quick note about my map:

I've hurried as much as possible, and now when looking closely, I think it is 80% done. Layout fully done, only things that needs to be finished is detailing and thing placement.
And because of 3D floors and minimal scripting, it needs least ZDoom (done in "ZDoom - Doom in Hexen" - format.) All textures are from Doom 2.

As for when it is finished, I don't have clue, since I have some jobs taking my time. But within this week if optimistic and dedicating my time for it.

@pfl: Woops, missed your PM. :P

@ Corsair: great news sir. Very good indeed. I hope I speak for everyone when I say that it's not a week, even two (since the first deadline) that will bother this release. Starvation needs quick actions. Doom needs time and quality :) ... PM whenever you're ready Corsair. Let's not publicise it before it's done :)

So a little more patience everyone. Thanks.

really nice :D

EDIT: tryed just for fun to convert some monsters to a more "monochromatic feeling", thats the results:

http://www.mediafire.com/?bxgk4bog55cv711

demons,imps,cacoes, barons and cybras converted well; the others were just orrible, so i didn't included them, if you like it i can make a less space consuming decorate for them, since they are just basic palette swap.

Scientist said:

I finished the titlepic :). I also made a Interpic and send them to pfl.
The rest of you can view them here:

titlepic
interpic

hope you like it ;)

Just, wow... I can't believe we're not paying you for this. Excellent work. I feel like we're legit now.

I indeed received the artwork. I'm giving schwerpunk a pre-release version within hours now, including a partial map 22: Ultramarine Kingdom by Corsair. Then you may need to IDCLEV23, for the final map ... pistol start. Monochrome. Mapping. Project. DWMMP1.WAD

I was supposed to get it done few days ago, but random jobs are random, and time just flies by.

But if I don't get recalled back to work today, it could be done in, say... six hours. If I get, make that double or triple.
But I might need help in difficulty levels, since I don't have time to do proper adjustments. Can be rather unbalanced.

But go ahead with the pre-release. No time better than present, I say.

And holy smokes, that inter/titlepic looks awesome.

I get your call Corsair. DWMMP1.1 is sent to schwerpunk now. Retain your breath ...

Sorry guys, gotta be brief. Wedding later. Played around, it was good. Not sure if skies were working, was too busy having fun. Lots of fun. Cruel to start off on 'Dada' map haha. I like it. Looking forward to all your thoughts.

Courtesy of pfl's whip-cracking and wad-packing, and all of your hard work, I proudly present Doomworld Monochrome Mapping Project pre-release. This bring us to update #16! I'll update the OP shortly. :)

EDIT: Thanks, scientist. I'll put that link in the OP if you don't mind.

Da Werecat said:

I was sorta expecting multiple PNAMES/TEXTURE1 lumps. :) But three different MAP01s?

Uh oh... This is why we have testing, hehe. Okay, so at least two maps aren't playing, then?

P.S. From here on out, I'll probably be AWOL until tomorrow.

Sorry for the mistakes in it; have had a tough time working this thing out as a first experience. I am thankful for Scientist's help on resolving theses issues for us ...