Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
schwerpunk

[RELEASE] Monochrome Mapping Project (latest fix August 1st, 2013)

nice work! I'm curious to see the wad :).

2. The music track is set in the mapinfo. You can change your track there.
5. Due to the mapinfo we don't actually need the two files but they do no harm.

Da Werecat said:

I was messing with the wad today.

1. All patches were reloaded. Now you can warp to MAP05 with PrBoom+ using command line. Multipatch sky was preserved, custom markers were not.
2. Lumps were grouped by type, so the wad is not a random mess anymore.
3. Flats were reloaded too, because it was easier to do than to scoop them around the wad. PNGs were preserved, markers were not.

During this 'cleaning up', I saw a few more oddities.

1. We have two ANIMDEFS lumps. Nothing bad about it, I believe.
2. We have two D_RUNNIN lumps. No wonder the music track on my map is wrong.
3. Still two MAP04s. 'Nuff said.
4. Some maps have more lumps than they should.

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae293/da_werecat/huh.png

5. Do we need intermission level names with ZDoom? There are two of them - MONIL01 and CWILV00.

My current connection speed sucks, so no download link for a while.

[UPDATE]

LOL, this wad is almost ten times smaller when zipped.

http://www.solidfiles.com/d/ee01ed4e94/

I wonder what bugs I have introduced.

Thanks, Da Werecat! New version added to OP.

@ everyone: text file will be here in two hours (a house sell calls delay). I ask everyone to take a look at it and advise me of the changes you wish to make. Finalized wad with all maps is coming too, Scientist is including the last map into it. Then ... it'll be finished, I guess.

The "Ultramarine" map was not properly tested. I realized it when I swam into the seemingly important secret area and found it completely empty.

All of the things that are supposed to be there won't spawn on skill levels lower that UV. It sorta explains why there are so many little dead ends with tough monsters and no reward for the player, although I didn't check.

@ Da Werecat: I have put Corsair a little under pressure to finish, if not to rush this map out before the deadline. He gave me the map knowing it had here and there little things he couldn't possibly fix so fast. AFAIK, the map plays great on UV. One error is displaying at some point with no real effect on the game. The rest of the play is as is, and becomes a matter of tastes. Should anyone feel strong enough to resolve the little matter, PM Corsair and have a chat with him. The idea was to at least have it on the first release :) I will have a check of it on lower skill levels this evening.

@ everyone: this is the text file. PM-me every things you want to change. Music credits is now. Of course, don't PM me the spots where schwerpunk's signature is required :)))

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m570/bfgbfg/textfile.jpg double zoom it

Shit. I knew it is already unbalanced, but that was oversight. It is supposed to show on easier levels, too.

And I think I should remove random item placement depending on difficulty. Unnecessary burden.

The errors on the singular sliding doors... I don't know why, but the activation lines on the doors show the errors. It was connected to speed, which was 32 and showed this number on errors as a polyobject number, even when I don't have that.
Simple fix was to put the lines on site where doors are activated. So... Solved, I guess.

I had a brief look at the Ultramarine map. It's a great map! ...Some minor issues though:
-In the opening room there are some shotgun guys at unreachable places. This means you can't get a 100% item score.
-I couldn't figure out how to lower the platform with tag 19 in front of the sliding door... Maybe I didn't look long enough :).
-The map is really dark. Personally I would increase the light level throughout the map. But that's matter off taste.

Anyways it's a fantastic map!

Scientist said:

-In the opening room there are some shotgun guys at unreachable places. This means you can't get a 100% item score.
-I couldn't figure out how to lower the platform with tag 19 in front of the sliding door... Maybe I didn't look long enough :).
-The map is really dark. Personally I would increase the light level throughout the map. But that's matter off taste.

I was thinking some access to there, but decided not to, because lazy y'know.
By the way, crouching and jumping is more than allowed in map. In fact, you can't get some secrets without that.

It's supposedly lower from that place left to bridge, where some imps, a mancubus and a pain elemental resides, goes with linedef action 80 (I got carried away to learn some scripting. :P) It works on me.

I am not totally sure, but the CEIL4_1 is quite dark, so it can feel bit too dark. Didn't want all look too bright so got that texture to apply some contrast.
In ZDoom it looks bit too dark, GZDoom is fine, but I suppose notch or two in brightness could do bit trick.

Thanks for feedback by the way. :)

@ Corsair: I, for I, really like it this dark. After a little while, everything is fine. If you play the map at night, WOW. After a lot of "bright" greay/white maps in the wad, this deep-dark ultramarine does it completely for me :)

Also, am I reading that the map is now almost bug free ? As soon as it is, please forward it to Scientist so that he can finalize this wad :)

@ Scientist: Sorry I made you do it twice ... I feel very little. You can send the final version to schwerpunk directly. I will forward him the text file. No major bugs are to be found in the wad no more. I feel confident (even if I keep on searching).

Thanks everyone

Beta 2, folks.

I think all the errors and bugs should be squished by now, but never knows what shows up...

Brightness is raised universally by 16 units, bit brighter, but still moody.

And items are no more restricted by difficulty, so in every place should have stuff for grabs. Monster placement is same as ever.

I don't know if I care to do final version, but please, give a bit feedback, either in PM or in here (if permitted.) :)

@pfl forgot to check PMs (again!) Thanks pal. :)

CorSair said:

Beta 2, folks.

I think all the errors and bugs should be squished by now, but never knows what shows up...

Brightness is raised universally by 16 units, bit brighter, but still moody.

And items are no more restricted by difficulty, so in every place should have stuff for grabs. Monster placement is same as ever.

I don't know if I care to do final version, but please, give a bit feedback, either in PM or in here (if permitted.) :)

@pfl forgot to check PMs (again!) Thanks pal. :)

Well, I still can't beat it without cheating, but I think it might be possible if I could figure out how to get anything above a rocket launcher. A couple of little bugs... possible to get stuck behind this chair, but since the map is made for jumpers it's not a huge issue, and these doors are invisible, but it's easy enough to figure out (maybe it's intentional). There are still some dead-ends on HMP, but I thought they had to be intentional for sure, because it kind of worked. Almost all rooms had goodies to keep me going -- barely, hehe. :)

I'm just polishing up the .txt file, so PM me if you think of anything to put in there. Although pfl thought of pretty much everything (except including himself in the credits, the humble bugger). :P

@ schwerpunk: There is more places where you can get stuck and I found out that the jump/crouch features were enabled while figuring out how to reach the secrets. In the text file: CROUCH/JUMP ENABLED ON MAP 22 ULTRAMARINE KINGDOM. :))

I haven't tried, yet again, this newest version of it but this is, indeed, the "buggy" spot :).

I have asked Scientist [many things :))))] if he could place Ultramarine K in the wad when it's done. He's done it once to let everyone get a taste of it in the wad in it's beta stage.

@ Scientist: Are you still up for it, Scientist?

:))

D_MARINE and XPLASMA are the same.

My music track was removed from the wad. By the way, is it okay to use an Evilution track?

schwerpunk said:

Well, I still can't beat it without cheating, but I think it might be possible if I could figure out how to get anything above a rocket launcher.

Do you mean level in general, or the throne room fight? In throne room, there is two secrets that has BFG, ammo, armor and health.
Probably luck deems how you beat that room. Took me 5 tries, until I put archies to infight cyberdemon (In HMP/UV it would be appropriate tactic), and since Arch-viles turn on their attacker in heartbeat... Maybe I should have put more cover/space or just scrap the arch-viles from that room...

schwerpunk said:

A couple of little bugs... possible to get stuck behind this chair, but since the map is made for jumpers it's not a huge issue, and these doors are invisible, but it's easy enough to figure out (maybe it's intentional). There are still some dead-ends on HMP, but I thought they had to be intentional for sure, because it kind of worked. Almost all rooms had goodies to keep me going -- barely, hehe. :)

Yeah, I should've mentioned that you need to jump/crouch...
That invisidoor... In Zdoom, they show up, in GZDoom, they don't show up. What the heck...

@ Corsair: Re difficulty: I meant primarily the Cyberdemon & Archie fight, although I turned on Buddha mode before then. I could conceivably beat this level with enough scumsaving, but I wanted to get my feedback to you before 3AM tomorrow. :P :)

Re invisidoor: Weird. Is it supposed to be different than the other doors, because all of those worked poifectly.

Da Werecat said:

D_MARINE and XPLASMA are the same.

My music track was removed from the wad. By the way, is it okay to use an Evilution track?

If it's alright with /idgames, then it's alright with me.

Da Werecat said:

I don't see any reason not to. I remember AV using same track I have so...

@schwerpunk
Hmm. I think it would work best as a secret level due to increased difficulty.

Also, rather annoying fact: Maps that are completely white or black, are bit difficult, due to fact I can't see where the revenant rocket or hell knight plasma comes from. I realised this while playing DeathEgg's Paint the Town Red. :P

If we cannot find the trick to show these doors on GZDoom, three options:

- change/remove the doors
- a note besides "known bugs" :)
- might be a good time for a thread, here or there. Someone knows the answer.

EDIT: Found a little issue on Outpost Gamma, map 11: the door closes [near the start x700 y-210], after a while, leaving the player locked with an invisible door where homs are revealed on the sides. Does someone knows how to take care of that or do I contact Jaws In Space ... I think this is what CorSair had found himself.

In Outpost Gamma line #703 is set as special 1, it should be set as special 23 sector tag 2. It's only there for deathmatch so other players can reach that area.

@ Jaws In Space: Is that all it needs to make the door open from both sides and get rid of the homs ? :)

Am still very excited waiting to play the final version of this project! Was thinking about it whilst at work yesterday/this morning.

From the sounds of some of the bugfixing comments, I'm going to be in for some tough maps. Any slaughter-esque maps in this project? (have never beaten/really tried a 'slaughter' map)

@ Suitepee: There are definitely some punishing maps. I won't spoil it, but if your skill level is anywhere near mine you're in for some hair-pulling. :)

P.S. Still writing the text file pfl sent me. Including a note on this and future Monochrome projects now.

schwerpunk wrote:

Still writing the text file pfl sent me. Including a note on this and future Monochrome projects now.

Wow, are you heading towards a text file containing chapters ? :))))
Future projects ... I will begin my map at this moment ...

Text file is done, you guys can review it here. Just waiting on the release date and a fix on the invisidoor (or leave it in, and I'll note it as a bug) and the multiplayer-only door bug.

So close to being done!

Nice job. I think there is only one jump/crouch map in the whole set. I am on the final testing stretch. I will confirm this and the rest of my testing by this weekend. So far, important:

- Invidoor map 22
- One way door homs on map 11

This would be awesome if properly corrected by their respectives owner or some really kind helpers :))

Re the door bugs on maps 22 & 11: scientist is presently working on the megawad. He's been PMed about these bugs. @ Jaws in Space & Corsair - unless we hear otherwise from you, a very simple fix will be applied. So if you want some kind of special solution, now's the time to chime in. :)

EDIT: Playing through again and I'm having a really hard time finding the bugs, lol...