Thanks again for the feedback.
Phendrena: Just finished a playthrough of v0.2. Let it be noted that I'm a bit hung over today, and your map didn't help my headache, lol (meaning it's very bright, is all). :P
1) the new detailing looks slick - I especially like the checkerboards.
2) the secrets are perhaps a little too well-hidden. I had to cheat to find them. Maybe make one of the arms on the 3D platform longer, to hint that there is an illusory wall ahead?
3) I pressed the 'wrong' button near the berserk pack, but nothing happened, then I tried pressing the other button and I got stuck in there. Not sure what was supposed to happen. idclip'd out and there was a Baron in the courtyard. That was a nice consolation.
4) It's not entirely clear to me what the secret button (the one in the building of the second main area) does.
5) the SSG secret room looks incredible. I'd love to see more of this kind of black room with little white details. I wanted to stay there. And not just because the darker tones were easier on my headache, heh.
6) love the new SoulSphere tease.
Overall, the map does feel pretty experimental. You're trying all sorts of neat tricks, which is great fun, but it makes it hard to detect if the map has an overall visual theme. Every new area seems to introduce many new art styles. Gameplay-wise, it feels like a daltonian's fever dream (hm, that's a decent name for a map...). Finally, I get the feeling that this entry is you mostly stretching your legs, and that if we see a second entry from you it would be a lot more focused.
After reading and the reading again your points above I went back and had another look at what I've done so far and then re-examined what I originally set out to do - create a map using Da Werecat's Black & White textures. In the first room and also the first outside area there is a good and visually striking contrast between the two colours. Moving inside keeps the same contrast but adds the patterned floor texture into the mix.
Moving into the second outside area and comparing it to the first, on first glance isn't that bad however I let black & white stripes move in and it doesn't match what I started with, this onslaught of stripes continued inside and frankly just looks crap with the way I used the texture.
So, all this has changed. The overuse of stripes has gone and we are back to contrasting Black & White - it looks so much better.
Onto some of the other points:
1, 5 & 6) Glad your enjoying these bits. There will be more of the black with white edging (I originally considered constructing a maze like map just with that style and I may yet). Ahhhh, the SoulSphere.... He get's around........ ;)
2 & 4) The Secrets - As you will see the arms of the upper section now meet the wall on both sides, but remember 'X' marks the spot (look at the entrance to the secret). The secret switch has gone. The secret area is still there but it should now be 100% clearer what that switch did.
3) The 'wrong' button - Pressing the button gives the on screen HUD message and spawns the baron. The other switch should raise the platform to allow you to exit that section. I've adjusted the platform and it should now work as intended.
I've not uploaded the revision yet as the other half nicked the laptop and made me walk the dog so I'm typing this on my phone!!! I'll upload the revision and some more screenshots later on.
Did you get the Chainsaw btw???
Manic Miner DOOM A WIP Megawad
Monochromatic Nightmare WIP, for the Monochrome Mapping Project