Mancubus
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > [DOOM2]Bellatrix

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 11:22. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
franckFRAG

Hi!

Yesterday evening, I began a little vanilla map, I finished it today.

A few inspired by memfis's map :)

Screen => http://i14.servimg.com/u/f14/11/63/08/76/screen11.jpg

DL (last version, map01 and 02) => http://www.mediafire.com/?vj2o1vljat6zcgw

Last edited by franckFRAG on 02-02-13 at 20:44

Old Post 01-13-13 16:28 #
franckFRAG is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
gggmork
If you can make any sense of this post, congratulations

Fun short blast through map, monster threats from multiple directions which I tend to like, not too hard but I died anyway, looks good. Took forever for me to find the key because I'm hopeless at fda:
http://filesmelt.com/dl/bellatrix-01-fda-ggg.lmp

Old Post 01-13-13 16:51 #
gggmork is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
omegamer

Wow really really nice map, I'd like to see a MegaWAD with only such maps!

Old Post 01-13-13 16:56 #
omegamer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
kristus
Megablast!

My family used to have a boat named Bellatrix.

Old Post 01-13-13 17:00 #
kristus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
EvilNed01

Fun, nice little map. I enjoyed it. Felt solid.

Old Post 01-13-13 17:53 #
EvilNed01 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Phobus
Forum Staple

I love all of these little maps we're getting these days. Solid, dependable Doom-y goodness. Good work!

Old Post 01-13-13 18:13 #
Phobus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
marysson
Mini-Member

That was fun! I died right before the exit, but I will try again.

Old Post 01-13-13 18:19 #
marysson is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ribbiks

nice map, here's another fda if you're into that sort of thing. good choice of midi.

I'd definitely play more maps like this :)

Old Post 01-13-13 18:42 #
Ribbiks is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Spammer

How nice to hear that my maps inspired you. Beautiful level, I really liked the design. Here is a FDA.

Old Post 01-13-13 19:26 #
Memfis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
marysson
Mini-Member

Ribbiks said:
nice map, here's another fda if you're into that sort of thing. good choice of midi.

I'd definitely play more maps like this :)

I agree.

So what _is_ it about maps like this that are so fun?

Old Post 01-13-13 19:31 #
marysson is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
ASD

Have you tested this on doom2.exe? I'm getting the Z_Free -error message.

Old Post 01-14-13 13:30 #
ASD is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Spammer

I found a jump that you probably didn't know about and recorded a max demo. :) - http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1138596

Old Post 01-14-13 17:16 #
Memfis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
franckFRAG

Thanks for FDAs :)

gggmork said:
Fun short blast through map, monster threats from multiple directions which I tend to like, not too hard but I died anyway, looks good. Took forever for me to find the key because I'm hopeless at fda:
http://filesmelt.com/dl/bellatrix-01-fda-ggg.lmp

With a lot of haste, the map seems more difficult :P

I was amused seeing how you took time to find the key x)

omegamer said:
Wow really really nice map, I'd like to see a MegaWAD with only such maps!

I am tried to make a megawad, but I tend to drop my projects. (Even if I created my maps in 2 days). :s

kristus said:
My family used to have a boat named Bellatrix.

Originally, the wad was called "Orion", without any reason, it is the first name which came to mind me. But, I preferred to know more about "Orion" I found the name of "Bellatrix" which is a star of the constellation of Orion. :) Maybe I shall create a new map, with the name of another star, of this constellation :) To make then a small compilation.^^

Memfis said:
How nice to hear that my maps inspired you. Beautiful level, I really liked the design. Here is a FDA.

I like very much your maps, by their architectures, and especially by this impression of serenity. It is what I wanted to retranscribe in my map :) I think that the music contributes to it a lot, I found it by chance in my HDD. x)

ASD said:
Have you tested this on doom2.exe? I'm getting the Z_Free -error message.

The map works well on Chocolate Doom, but I didn't test on doom2.exe, that means this error? I don't know it :s

Memfis said:
I found a jump that you probably didn't know about and recorded a max demo. :) - http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1138596

Ah nice trick!! I was not on that this trick was possible. :)

Old Post 01-15-13 11:29 #
franckFRAG is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
franckFRAG

Hey!

I finally released the second Bellatrix's map!

http://i14.servimg.com/u/f14/11/63/08/76/screen25.png

I however don't found a music which corresponds well to this map, I would have wanted a music in the same vibrate that the first one map. BTW, the map01 music is not well read on Zdoom, it is also because of the format, that the wad crash on doom2.exe, I shall soon rectify that.

(map01 and 02) DL => http://www.mediafire.com/?vj2o1vljat6zcgw

Last edited by franckFRAG on 02-02-13 at 20:20

Old Post 02-02-13 19:32 #
Memfis
Forum Spammer

Fun, very nice outdoor area. Here is a FDA. After I reached the exit I tried to find all secrets, that probably will be boring to watch.

So you need a midi for this map if I understand correctly? If so, you could take a look at Anigav wads, they feature music in a similar style.

Old Post 02-02-13 20:20 #
franckFRAG

Thank you for the link, I put generally one hour to find a music which suits me :P

No, your FDA is not boring toward the end, I have absolutely wanted to see if you would have find all secrets, I doubted, but finally, you found them all :P

Old Post 02-02-13 22:09 #
Not Jabba

That new screenshot looks great. It reminds me of kaiser_22.

Old Post 02-02-13 22:24 #
Not Jabba is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

franckFRAG said:
BTW, the map01 music is not well read on Zdoom, it is also because of the format, that the wad crash on doom2.exe, I shall soon rectify that.

I don't understand. How isn't is read correctly in ZDoom? It seemed fine to me.

Incidentally, what song is it and where does it come from? The metadata says it was converted from XMI, so it was presumably from some old game...

Old Post 02-02-13 22:39 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Obsidian
Forum Staple

Now THAT was fun. You gonna upload these to the archive?

Old Post 02-02-13 22:45 #
Obsidian is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
franckFRAG

The music is read on Zdoom, but with some "holes" However, on other port as PrBoom, or Chocolate Doom, the music is read without holes, you are right for the music, it is at the origin of an old game : " The 11th Hour ".

edit, @ Obsidian, nah :P again some maps moreover, I have a lot of idea for news maps :)

Old Post 02-02-13 22:48 #
Ribbiks

fda, nice little map. I would consider changing the imps+block_sound lines after the YK door, you can just sit outside the room and pick them off one by one without the others waking up.

Old Post 02-02-13 23:10 #
Ribbiks is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
schwerpunk

Played it a couple times on HMP, but didn't get past a few minutes. Might try it again on ITYTD, or with Buddha mode on. But it's fun. Nice feel, nice look, nice music; tight ammo and health (so far).

Question: is this switch in the first room intended to be activatable from the floor?

Old Post 02-03-13 14:49 #
schwerpunk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote