Reaper Grimm
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > New Map: The Great Urban Battle (2 or 3 playtesters needed)

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 02:43. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
pcorf

This is a new map (Boom/Zdoom compatible) I have been working on since October 2012. It is ready for playtesting. It needs to be playtested because I know I suck at the gameplay.

Send me a PM and I will send you the link to the file.

Here are some screenshots.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/312410_10151618419788942_294172476_n.jpghttps://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/226789_10151618419903942_1722090267_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/27279_10151618419928942_1830926957_n.jpghttps://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/537462_10151618419953942_307245244_n.jpg

Last edited by pcorf on 01-15-13 at 14:04

Old Post 01-15-13 13:10 #
pcorf is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

Those are some massive benches. Also the narrowest four-lane roads I've ever seen :P

Shot 4 looks interesting.

Old Post 01-15-13 13:16 #
esselfortium is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
pcorf

esselfortium said:
Those are some massive benches. Also the narrowest four-lane roads I've ever seen :P

Shot 4 looks interesting.

Yeah its inside a dungeon after you beat the city.

Old Post 01-15-13 13:23 #
pcorf is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Spammer

I've been a big fan of yours since I played 2002ado in 2007. Would be glad to help with playtesting. :)

Old Post 01-15-13 15:06 #
Memfis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
pcorf

Memfis said:
I've been a big fan of yours since I played 2002ado in 2007. Would be glad to help with playtesting. :)

No worries. I sent you a PM with the link.

This is a very very big map. Over 1000 monsters and not a slaughter map.

Last edited by pcorf on 01-15-13 at 15:38

Old Post 01-15-13 15:31 #
johnfulgor

Hello,
I will gladly test the map with Brutal Doom.
Can I have the link?
Thank you!

Old Post 01-15-13 15:42 #
johnfulgor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
pcorf

johnfulgor said:
Hello,
I will gladly test the map with Brutal Doom.
Can I have the link?
Thank you!

PM sent with link.

Old Post 01-15-13 15:48 #
pcorf

I have fixed a few teleporter problems and made a few changes myself. For example only Cacodemons and Lost Souls teleport to the roof of the small chapel on the eastern end of the map just south of the 6 key skull switch. I am happy with the ammo balance.

Replaced the 4 Imps with blue flame sticks on the brown building just south of the RL building as those Imps were hard to kill. I added more enemies to the areas outside the map where the monsters teleport in after grabbing the keys.

Added a voodoo doll so the Lost Soul traps in the underground dungeon only open once the bridge sections have been raised.

Old Post 01-16-13 18:05 #
Memfis
Forum Spammer

pcorf said:
I am happy with the ammo balance.

Well, don't you think it's a bit boring how the player can easily stock up with lots of ammo by simply running around the street? To me tighter ammo balance would make things a lot more exciting. I just feel overpowered when I have maximum of everything. Maybe make the player look harder for ammo, make him feel unsafe in this big infested city?
I understand that it is difficult to balance large nonlinear maps. But it might be worth it.
btw are these your drawings in the subway station? I remember seeing similar pictures on your website. :)

Old Post 01-16-13 19:00 #
Memfis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
grouchbag

I would like to test if I may,please.Thank you!

Old Post 01-16-13 19:02 #
grouchbag is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
killer2

Not promising anything since I might be busy the upcoming days, but I'd like to have a shot at beta-testing too. I really liked WoS.

Old Post 01-16-13 19:48 #
killer2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
General Rainbow Bacon
may have been DoomHero85 at some point

I can def beta test if you need another.

Old Post 01-16-13 19:50 #
General Rainbow Bacon is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
pcorf

Memfis said:

Well, don't you think it's a bit boring how the player can easily stock up with lots of ammo by simply running around the street? To me tighter ammo balance would make things a lot more exciting. I just feel overpowered when I have maximum of everything. Maybe make the player look harder for ammo, make him feel unsafe in this big infested city?
I understand that it is difficult to balance large nonlinear maps. But it might be worth it.
btw are these your drawings in the subway station? I remember seeing similar pictures on your website. :)

Yeah. They are my drawings in the station.

Yeah its extremely difficult to get the ammo balance right and gameplay has never been my strength. I think there may be a bit too much ammo as mentioned. But the ammo comes in useful. I might consider replacing some boxes of bullets with rocket boxes and removing some ammo too. I am just wanting some basic suggestions.

Old Post 01-17-13 03:06 #
Obsidian
Forum Staple

Alright if I test? :)

Old Post 01-17-13 03:41 #
Obsidian is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
darkreaver

Maximum lols @ the "realism". Last screenshot looks cool

Old Post 01-17-13 03:47 #
darkreaver is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
pcorf

Note: I will upload version 2 of Urban Battle for playtesting early next week. The goal is to release it later this month or early next month.

Old Post 01-17-13 04:06 #
pcorf

Still sorting out the gameplay, esp the ammo balance. I am pretty happy with that so far.

I have decided to turn the streets into two lane streets as they looked a bit odd as very narrow four lane streets. This has reduced the amount of linedefs by over 1000. The streets have just a single ----- running through their middles.

The map will be released onto my website within the next week or two (once I am satisfied) and uploaded to idgames.

Old Post 01-27-13 07:04 #