Spider Mastermind
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > New monster ideas

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 08:52. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
General Rainbow Bacon
may have been DoomHero85 at some point

So I've always liked to come up with new monsters in my head and where I'd use them in maps. A lot of cool monsters have been made over at Realm667, but there are a few ideas that I'd still like to see made.

Exhuminator: A mechanized arch-vile that shoots bursts of fire resurrecting monsters in it's path. Also having some kind of fire attack that is not single target, along with the one attack we all know and love.

Wingturret: A flying chaingunner.

Scout demon: A monster that never actually attacks you but after it sees you it goes around and "wakes up" other monsters.

Old Post 01-16-13 19:00 #
General Rainbow Bacon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Jimi

Thief monster would be nice too.. Steal your weapons, armor or powerups and then attack you with them. Could be like a thief imp.

Old Post 01-16-13 19:10 #
Jimi is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
General Rainbow Bacon

Yeah, I agree.

Old Post 01-16-13 19:10 #
General Rainbow Bacon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
PRIMEVAL

The thief concept reminds me of the Gremlins from one of the Quake mission packs. Would be cool to see.

Old Post 01-16-13 19:34 #
PRIMEVAL is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
grouchbag

I like your ideas too.I sure wish someone would have finished the Doom Monster Creator,though.It would have been a lot of fun to use.Good luck in making your monsters.

Old Post 01-16-13 21:37 #
grouchbag is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
BaronOfStuff

I think something like the 'Scout Demon' could be quite a nightmare (or even just plain pointless) if used incorrectly, but could also potentially make for some very interesting situations.

Old Post 01-16-13 21:59 #
BaronOfStuff is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Phobus
Forum Staple

Using ACS it is quite easy to make a scout monster. Either have something run to a switch when it's activated, or put a "monster walks over" line to trigger an ambush (I did this in Coils of the Twisted Tale, just before the big spire battle), or even have it activate/teleport in other monsters on death.

Old Post 01-16-13 22:22 #
Phobus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Obsidian
Forum Staple

I had this huge convoluted idea for a boss called the Lord of Putrefaction once.

First form: Shoots a wave of red Baron balls and also teleports.

Second form: Shoots 2 waves at a time instead of 1 and spits Flesh Spawns at you. Also retains teleportation.

Third form: Shoots 2 waves followed by a ball of acid, spits 3 Flesh Spawns at a time and also has a spitting attack akin to the Cyberfiend. Can still teleport.

If only I was half-decent at making sprites...

Old Post 01-16-13 22:29 #
Obsidian is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ragnor
I do see the humour in a mod sneakily changing my title

The original Cacodemon that was taken from a D&D book. Oh god that thing would be amazing.

Old Post 01-16-13 22:51 #
Ragnor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
BaronOfStuff

Ragnor said:
The original Cacodemon that was taken from a D&D book. Oh god that thing would be amazing.

The Astral Dreadnought? That would require one fucking HUGE map...

Old Post 01-16-13 23:12 #
BaronOfStuff is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
General Rainbow Bacon

No I think the original monster that the cacodemon is based on is the beholder. Fucking crazy awesome monsters I might add.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beholder

Old Post 01-16-13 23:18 #
BloodyAcid

General Rainbow Bacon said:
Wingturret: A flying chaingunner.

My first thought was a severed head with two chainguns attached to the chin with white wings.

Old Post 01-16-13 23:20 #
BloodyAcid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
General Rainbow Bacon

Just looked at the Astral Dreadnought, okay, so those things are terrifying too.

Old Post 01-16-13 23:21 #
Unholypimpin

A mancubus with 4 arms would be pretty sick, perhaps even a grim reaper type monster.

Old Post 01-17-13 00:28 #
Unholypimpin is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ragnor
I do see the humour in a mod sneakily changing my title

The "astral dreadnought as a monster" would pretty much just be a "fullgrown" caco, with arms and a tail, and bigger. Although you COULD make a massive map for it, like say, a space station that ends by a large exploded area open to space, where the astral glides in from space, growing closer and closer..

I like how it eats souls, makes it the opposite of the Pain Elemental...or makes the Pain Elemental a later stage of its life or a mutation? Oh man, the sheer ideas I have right now..

Old Post 01-17-13 00:38 #
Ragnor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote