Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Switcheroom! Or, what if E1M1 was E3M1? (Release Candidate 3, aiming for whenever)

LOL, you got me there Jaws in Space. I could've sworn all textures I used were Ep1 ones.

By the way, I played through Eps 3 and 4. My remarks:

E3M4:

- In this place, there is no height difference between the blood and the floor.

E4M2:

- Seems like the normal exit door will open just once (?), so if it closes you won't be able to access it again.

E4M4:

- This.

E4M6:

- There are 2 pinkies stuck in one of the monster closets that open after picking up the blue key.
- No tag 666 in this one? :(

E4M9:

- The blue key pole is tagged as an exit (it probably doesn't matter anyway).

Overall, excellent job guys. It is a really solid and entertaining megaWAD we have here :D

PS: as a side note, I must admit that, even though it's not very 'classic Doom'-like, I really enjoyed the zombiemen slaughterfest in E4M5 :P

Fernito said:

E4M2:

- Seems like the normal exit door will open just once (?), so if it closes you won't be able to access it again.

Thanks, I'll make sure to remove the normal door tag on the back side, so it'll just stay open.

Okay, was able to do a run through E1. Fernito and Jaws in Space covered a lot of the issues (non-E1 items, teleport traps, and textures) so my stuff is relatively minor.

E1M1 (E3M1):
- In addition to the use of the non-E1 "DOORHI", I also don't like the use of DOOR3 as a real door, since (to my knowledge) it is only ever used as the "locked door" at the start of levels so it feels out of place here.

E1M2 (E4M2):
- The bridge that rises up doesn’t have its textures aligned with the wall, which causes a weird texture alignment by the DOORHI.

E1M3 (E3M3):
- Why use the exit door texture INSIDE the exit room (right after ... a real exit door?)

E1M9 (E2M9):
- The STARTAN3 textures in the last corridor could use some aligning

E1M5 (E2M5):
- Some of the computer panels are pretty misaligned (linedef 1044 and 1052)
- The top of the BROWN96 and the brown cage textures in the imp cage don't line up, which makes it looks really weird (I'd just move the BROWN96 down to match, personally).
- You were pretty fastidious about using FLAT20 to avoid floor rule violations, but Sector 211 doesn't have it

E1M7 (E3M7):
- Floor rule violation on both red doors

E1M8 (e2m8):
- Why not mark the soulsphere as a secret? 0 secrets as is, which is usually a no-no.
- Only 2 barons? I know that this is keeping with the original, but with such a huge map it seems... lame. Maybe 4 (one for each corner?) I dunno.

Magnusblitz said:

E1M3 (E3M3):[/B]
- Why use the exit door texture INSIDE the exit room (right after ... a real exit door?)

To emulate a "transitional chamber"? It seems to be a nice and valid choice to me, even though such a thing doesn't make appearance in actual E1.

On the other hand, the texture clash in that room isn't the best.

Any changes to e1m1 (e3m1) will also need to be made to e2m9 (e3m9).

Death Egg: Are individual mappers to make the changes and re-submit, or will you co-ordinate the changes?

Magnusblitz said:

E1M5 (E2M5):[/b]
- Some of the computer panels are pretty misaligned (linedef 1044 and 1052)
- The top of the BROWN96 and the brown cage textures in the imp cage don't line up, which makes it looks really weird (I'd just move the BROWN96 down to match, personally).

As I already mentioned a couple of times, misalignments were left as they are as a homage to the original E1M5 (here is a screenshot of the computer room in original E1M5, showing many misalignments; whether or not they were intentional, that doesn't change the fact that they are there :P).

Anyway, if that bother too many people I have no problems fixing that.

- You were pretty fastidious about using FLAT20 to avoid floor rule violations, but Sector 211 doesn't have it [/b]

Was I? I really can't remember mentioning anything about that :P Anyway, yeah, I agree, I can fix that.

Fernito said:

As I already mentioned a couple of times, misalignments were left as they are as a homage to the original E1M5 (here is a screenshot of the computer room in original E1M5, showing many misalignments; whether or not they were intentional, that doesn't change the fact that they are there :P).

Anyway, if that bother too many people I have no problems fixing that.

Yeah, I remembered discussing all the STAR misalignments, didn't remember anything about the computer textures. Those really stood out for me because they were vertically misaligned as well as horizontally (there are some other spots which are horizontally off that I didn't mention).

I have made a version of the wad that removes all non E1 textures from the first 9 maps. I didn't add any new textures to the maps, I just used ones that were used elsewhere in the map. If you think I made your map terrible I posted a list of all of the textures used in E1 at the bottom of the previous page, if you want to fix it use only the textures listed there. Old, scroll down 10 posts

Jaws In Space said:

I have made a version of the wad that removes all non E1 textures from the first 9 maps. I didn't add any new textures to the maps, I just used ones that were used elsewhere in the map. If you think I made your map terrible I posted a list of all of the textures used in E1 at the bottom of the previous page, if you want to fix it use only the textures listed there. Switcharoom with fixed textures

As long as I remember, E1M3 kinda needed it back in March or so.
[EDIT] I don't know whether it makes a difference, but in the original Ultimate Doom IWAD, FLAT1 is declared as an E1 flat, despite being never used anywhere. [/EDIT]

Okay, onwards through Episode 2...

E2M2 (E1M2):
- More of a personal pet peeve, but I don’t like how the far eastern area looks "outside." The guy hanging from the ceiling looks like he's just hanging in a black void. Maybe change textures or something?
- In secret area to the far left, the grey parts on the sides of the stairs don’t match. Image
- Any reason linedef 2358 (lift to some shells) works only once?
- Lots of floor violation rules, but they’re all in secret areas, so meh

E2M3 (E1M3)
- Floor violation rule in the secret area leading to the plasma gun – easily fixable, just extend the grey brick to the step

E2M5 (E4M5):
- Some bad texture alignment needed on vines where you first enter outdoor area. Image
- Also on east wall of this area. Image
- Floor texture rule violation on skinny red door
- The brown/blue comp texture on outside of berserk area aren’t aligned on windows. Image
- Alignment of vines on outside of window you jump through to exit Image

E2M9 (E3M9-style remake of E1M1)
- I’m kinda bothered by the instant-dropping fake exit, would think it should be slow like E3M9 originally

E2M6 (E3M6)
- Cacodemon at start by RL is stuck
- The vines bleed into the ceiling/floor, I think this can be fixed by changing the light level or height between sectors Image
- One of the doors is unpegged and so scrolls instead of looking like a door. Image
- Also, don’t think id ever used white teleporters as teleports (just exit ones) – use red ones instead. Not just on this map, other maps do it too (E2M7... E1M4?).

Magnusblitz said:

E2M9 (E3M9-style remake of E1M1)[/b]
- I’m kinda bothered by the instant-dropping fake exit, would think it should be slow like E3M9 originally

The original can get away with it because it's going to unveil a cyberdemon. This level can't use a cyber, and frankly a slow reveal of a few barons isn't very exciting (I tried it). Instant drop at least gives the encounter some immediacy.

But if the consensus is that it should be slow, then the change can be made.

Capellan said:

The original can get away with it because it's going to unveil a cyberdemon. This level can't use a cyber, and frankly a slow reveal of a few barons isn't very exciting (I tried it). Instant drop at least gives the encounter some immediacy.

True, and I figured that was why you did it (no Cyber and wanting to make it more "shocking"). Still, I felt like there were enough barons that it still would work on a slow drop, but, hard to say without seeing it in action myself. Up to you.

Had a look at the changes by Jaws in space and I guess I'd ask if maps e1m6 & e1m9 can have some of the non-e1 textures back? ;o) - mainly the brown96 an stone2 light variants - since now they have no lights there at all.

I understand the comment about avoiding stuff that breaks the e1-feel but I think there are some textures that fit e1 without necessarily being on a finite e1 only list. I would say the same for some of the other maps. I think the intent is more to avoid very obvious non-e1 content like wood/hell/sp rock textures/flats.

traversd said:

Had a look at the changes by Jaws in space and I guess I'd ask if maps e1m6 & e1m9 can have some of the non-e1 textures back? ;o) - mainly the brown96 an stone2 light variants - since now they have no lights there at all.

I understand the comment about avoiding stuff that breaks the e1-feel but I think there are some textures that fit e1 without necessarily being on a finite e1 only list. I would say the same for some of the other maps. I think the intent is more to avoid very obvious non-e1 content like wood/hell/sp rock textures/flats.

Agree with this.

Magnusblitz said:

E2M5 (E4M5):[/b]
- Some bad texture alignment needed on vines where you first enter outdoor area. Image
- Also on east wall of this area. Image
- Floor texture rule violation on skinny red door
- The brown/blue comp texture on outside of berserk area aren’t aligned on windows. Image
- Alignment of vines on outside of window you jump through to exit Image

These issues were fixed in the wad I posted above, except for alignment of the comp texture.

As far as using non E1 textures in the maps, I am against it. There are other light textures, ceiling textures, lamps, & sky can all be used to simulate light. See E1M9 in the wad below as an example, I removed the lights in the nukage pool, but used sky instead because you use a sky light level of 208 which leaves you with pretty much the same effect.

Edit: Switcharoom latest version with Walters updated maps.

Switcheroom Release Canidate 2 is go. I apologize for the lack of appearances from me, I have a job and other irl things to attend to and they've made a great job of distracting me from this. If I forgot map updates in this please tell me.

Anyways, I'd like to announce in this post (and the topic name, which I'm sure you've all already seen if you're replying to this post anyways) that I'd like this to be uploaded to /idgames by December 9th or, preferably earlier. I want to kick beta testing into overdrive and get this thing out there before the cacowards so we have a shot at making it in time for Doom's 20th birthday.

I've updated the current wad with all the updates with the exception of the Episode 1 modifications by Jaws in Space, since I haven't had a chance to look at them and at least one author didn't want the changes made to their map.

Capellan said:

Any changes to e1m1 (e3m1) will also need to be made to e2m9 (e3m9).

Death Egg: Are individual mappers to make the changes and re-submit, or will you co-ordinate the changes?

Sorry for not responding earlier; I've been mostly leaving it up to authors themselves, but when it comes to about week or two before the intended release, I and others will likely be modifying others maps for bugs just so we can make it in time, especially in the cases of people who haven't been responding.

ALSO, I still need names for five maps! Icytux, Magnusblitz, Flamen0d, and Shadesmaster, if you're reading this, please submit your map names! If it comes to like a day before release and they still don't have names yet, I'll just name them myself.

Augh, of course, I forgot to include the actual url in the link... Fixed.

On a side note, I fixed the pinkies being stuck in the monster closet in E4M6.

Hmmmm since it seems that Switcheroom is aiming for a second release candidate in December, I think I will hold off my Let's Play of it until it's been polished some more!

But fear not, I will get around to this project in due course!

Magnusblitz said:

Okay, onwards through Episode 2...

E2M2 (E1M2):
- More of a personal pet peeve, but I don’t like how the far eastern area looks "outside." The guy hanging from the ceiling looks like he's just hanging in a black void. Maybe change textures or something?
- In secret area to the far left, the grey parts on the sides of the stairs don’t match. Image
- Any reason linedef 2358 (lift to some shells) works only once?
- Lots of floor violation rules, but they’re all in secret areas, so meh

Thanks a lot for the feedback. The black void was kind of a concession to E2M2 not having an outdoor area... don't remember a hanging guy; will take a look at that. Also, I thought I was pretty fastidious about FLAT changes... I'll take another look at that.

Not sure if I'll be able to make any changes for a week or two, though, as I presently am without access to my desktop, and DB is pretty spotty on my laptop.

Death Egg said:

Updated to Switcheroom RC2.1 then. Still would like it if someone could convince one of the big three multiplayer source ports to host this for a Survival night and/or deathmatch to see if there's any bugs in those formats.

Multiplayer Bugs:
E2M3 doesn't have multiplayer starts
E3M2 doesn't have multiplayer starts
E3M3 doesn't have multiplayer starts
E4M8 doesn't have multiplayer starts

Deathmatch Bugs:
E1M2 only has 1 deathmantch start
E1M5 doesn't have deathmatch starts
E1M8 doesn't have deathmatch starts
E2M2 doesn't have deathmatch starts
E2M3 doesn't have deathmatch starts
E2M4 doesn't have deathmatch starts
E2M6 doesn't have deathmatch starts, oops :P
E3M2 doesn't have deathmatch starts
E3M3 doesn't have deathmatch starts
E3M5 doesn't have deathmatch starts
E4M1 only has 1 deathmantch start
E4M5 doesn't have deathmatch starts
E4M8 doesn't have deathmatch starts

Death Egg said:

ALSO, I still need names for five maps! Icytux, Magnusblitz, Flamen0d, and Shadesmaster, if you're reading this, please submit your map names!

I included the map names under the links when I posted the maps, but I guess you missed em.

E3M3: "Phlegethon"

E4M2: "Their Torment Ascendeth"

I still have some fixes for E2M4 to make, and looks like I need to add some MP/DM starts for the other two maps as well; so, will have some newer versions of the maps coming soon.