Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mrthejoshmon

lets make a BAD megawad.

mrthejoshmon said:

-it does not matter what IWAD it is for, unless its heretic, strife, hexen or any other non doom Zdoom compatible IWAD
-has to be Zdoom or limit removed, I am a Zdoomer not a vanilla player!

I'm pretty sure all of those wads will run in zdoom. Also, what do you mean by "has to be Zdoom or limit removed"? Will the level be rejected because the map format is Doom 2? Or if it doesn't have at least one zdoom feature or boom linedef action? A level will still run in Zdoom if it happens to be vanilla compatible. That's a silly requirement.

I suppose a megawad of everybody's garbage levels could at the very least be used to establish the bottom of the barrel. We can all gaze upon this wad as examples of how not to map. Yeah, that's it.

Pavera said:

1: is Doom 2? Or if it doesn't have at least one zdoom feature or boom linedef action?

2: I suppose a megawad of everybody's garbage levels could at the very least be used to establish the bottom of the barrel. We can all gaze upon this wad as examples of how not to map. Yeah, that's it.

1: looking at that it came out wrong, let me rephrase: no features that source ports use that will absolutely murder vanilla, as in no skulltag exclusive stuff ect... basically vanilla compatible!

2: I was looking for this to suck, its easier making crap than making gold right?

EDIT: its also for doom, I doubt hexen, heretic and strife wads will work well with that

Memfis said:

Meh, I would be more interested in making crap maps from scratch.

maybe I should change the rules then... done, go make some crap!

I preferred the other topic where an idea to make something playable out of shit maps was thrown around.

If I want to play 1994-esque crap, I'll scour the archives and shovelware sets.

Memfis said:

Meh, I would be more interested in making crap maps from scratch.

I once thought about creating a community project called Rubafest which would be for people to make maps which break many of the rules of wad making we have come up with over the years just like Ruba did. Thought it might be a good idea :P

cannonball said:

... Thought it might be a good idea :P

it is :)

BaronOfStuff: I thought that was a good idea too, just I am more into playing bad wads, its a strange sense of satisfaction...

i have a similar idea of making a community project or better a map challenge about creating a doom level in the most similar criterias of 1994 standards and even substandards (actually i even think to do maps like in the 1994, using DEU or similar dos editors of that times, but i think is too much)...

walter confalonieri said:

i have a similar idea of making a community project or better a map challenge about creating a doom level in the most similar criterias of 1994 standards and even substandards (actually i even think to do maps like in the 1994, using DEU or similar dos editors of that times, but i think is too much)...

I actually want to see some of those maps!

Seems like it would be a waste of precious mapping energy to focus on the output of bad maps. Why not just spend that time making good maps instead? Or like.. go outside or something.

Pavera said:

Seems like it would be a waste of precious mapping energy to focus on the output of bad maps. Why not just spend that time making good maps instead? Or like.. go outside or something.

its god damn cold out, and every time I try to map it finds a way of breaking the map entirely, so I just decided to make broken crap, besides nobody else would ever do this.

There's sure a place for me in this project! I've done lots of bad and "bad" stuff, like:
- idiotic.wad speaks for itself, it was my first PWAD... and my eleventh map :/
- a bunch of slaughtermap pieces stick together. I can't make, can't play and don't even like slaughtermaps, yet I had a dumb idea of doing a SF entry thrice.
- two intentionally 1994 styled maps, but with good gameplay. I wanted to do a megawad out of these myself but I'm not sure. That maps include:
* big weird thing with badass multidimensional cratemaze.
* hell map with something looking like a hellish version of football.
* wild west'esque map with ZIMMER cactuses, Cotton Eye Joe midi and pistol enforcing gameplay. Actually not '94 at all, so I said "two" and not "three".

There are also my brother's maps. Three. Mega newbie, impatient and doing maps in one sitting. He made three maps, but I'd probably combine them in one as well.

I hope that sounds good?

And I love the "break rules" idea, the creativest thing ever. How about a map with two normal exits? With dormant enemies as bridges? Set up in a supermarket, on a desert, inside car engine or in a dream?? With fruits battling against vegetables???

Scypek2 said:

1 There's sure a place for me in this project!

2 ZIMMER cactuses

3 There are also my brother's maps.

4 I hope that sounds good?

5 How about a map with two normal exits? With dormant enemies as bridges? Set up in a supermarket, on a desert, inside car engine or in a dream?? With fruits battling against vegetables???

1 glad to hear!
2 you sold me on that one :)
3 sounds like what I am looking for
4 yes, it fits the idea perfectly
5 I like that idea, in fact the enemy sprites should be fruits and veg!

please submit DL's for the maps, they sound just what I am looking for!

mrthejoshmon said:

please submit DL's for the maps, they sound just what I am looking for!

I'm gonna sent all the stuff tomorrow.
I forgot one where you swim on a draft-like thing, it was a 1 hour speedmap, not bad at all though.

kmxexii said:

Just wait a little while and this guy should have you covered, josh

Edit: then again, I think this violates the first rule you posted

damn, that was exactly what I was looking for, but has custom monsters, which would totally clash with the vegetable and fruit enemies :D

gggmork: oh this isn't a contest, but that would be equally interesting, but hell that is professional bad mapping... (how the hell does that work?)

cannonball: gotcha! this is perfect!

Scypek2: ok, I will look forward to them :)

You'd most likely make a bad megawad even if you tried to make good one, so feel free to remove the 'BAD' from title, it'd have the same effect anyway.

j4rio said:

You'd most likely make a bad megawad even if you tried to make good one, so feel free to remove the 'BAD' from title, it'd have the same effect anyway.

I am going to take *that* as a complement

mrthejoshmon said:

would totally clash with the vegetable and fruit enemies :D

you mean vegetable/fruit enemies in the whole wad?! :D actually why not, and for custom enemies one can always do some DECORATE and then join it all together.

Edit:

Megalyth said:

Let's not.

Let's yes. Duh.

Maybe I'd make some silly sprites for armed fruits. I'm a 1337 spriter, you can search for "santa's revenge" to see.

Scypek2 said:

you mean vegetable/fruit enemies in the whole wad?! :D actually why not, and for custom enemies one can always do some DECORATE and then join it all together.

its going to turn out even worse if I even tried that... wait... that could be a useful side effect!