Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

DM Revival - MANAGEMENT HELP NEEDED

Don't stress Omega - misunderstandings happen :) As a tip, it's often preferred if you used "edit" to post several things on most forums.

I don't mean to come accross as harsh at all, I hope it wasn't taken that way. These things happen! There's no release deadline, so literally every wrinkle will be ironed out by the end, be assured!

Doomkid92: I replaced texture "RWDMON1" which is the mouth of the icon of sin with my signature... I noticed that in map 18 that my custom texture is used and it is badly out of place. Can you create a new patch name of the texture?

Sure thing DG93 - I noticed it too, it will be fixed up.

Don't forget to vote on which maps you like, people! I've gotten a few votes between all the forums, but I still haven't heard back from most. Everyone's feedback counts :)

I'll exten voting til May 15th, after that, the new condensed maplist will be chosen, and a rotation shortly afterward.

We're almost to the home stretch!

Hey guys, my internet was out the last few days, but I'm finally back.

@TMD: most people have PM'd me their votes through here or the Zandronum forums. I'm happy to say since the last post there have been a few more votes sent my way!

Progress has been slower, mianly because of me. I'm fairly set on which maps should stay and which should go, especially after counting up the opinions that have been sent in. A few members have pulled their maps out of the set - There's a lot more breathing room with a 25 maps here, and average quality seems to be much higher now too.

The next step will be detailing and fixups of the remaining maps. Some still haven't been made fully cross compatable, which means having another team member help me detail, add player starts, and ensure it the whole thing runs properly in Zandronum, ZD and Odamex will be most helpful. W1D3A55 has already offered a lot of assistance in this region, but more sets of eyes will find more bugs and flaws.

:)

Okay everybody! The new refined map list is here after tallying up everyones votes and opinions. It is as follows:

-DMR01
-Training Center V.2
-oT_War
-Entrymake (Originally Entrymake 3)
-"Actual Map" (Needs to be renamed)
-Roots Bloody Roots
-Generic UAC Base
-Weapon Research Facility
-"Enzo 01" (Needs to be renamed)
-Splatter House
-Horto Bellatorem
-Skull Crusher
-Deathmatch Prison
-The Crematorium
-R. Dungeon
-No Fun Zone
-"JP DM" (Needs to be renamed)
-Entrymake 2
-Suicide House.AVI
-"Enzo 02" (I can't remember his new mapnames D: )
-Spaceport
-Judgement
-Hell Halls
-You're In Hell
And finally, The Grand Void.

Block Fort (and maybe a few others) will end up as secret maps.

I hope everyone is happy with the new map selection! What's left on the 'to do list' is to detail these babies up, and a few more important things like
-Adding player starts
-Adding exits
-Fixing any remaining texture issues. W1D3A55 has helped a lot with this, but more help is always good.

Screenshots of progress soon!

Nice lineup. On my map, I've been thinking that something like "UAC Testing Facility" would work for a name.

That name should fit right in, Joe. I'll have it renamed soon. I'm glad you guys approve of the new list! Seriously, choosing maps to keep and remove is a tough process where not only do you want to keep all fun maps, but you don't want to dis anyone's hard work.

The lovely guys over at Odamex are hosting DMR_Beta.wad on Saturday for Nitro #91, I hope to see some of you online!

http://odamex.net/boards/index.php/topic,2240.0.html

Sounds cool dude, I think i'll join in on the online action Saturday. Maybe i'll record it while I play.

You realize they have the old beta, right?

Doomkid92 said:

Okay everybody! The new refined map list is here after tallying up everyones votes and opinions. It is as follows:

-DMR01
-Training Center V.2
-oT_War
-Entrymake (Originally Entrymake 3)
-"Actual Map" (Needs to be renamed)
-Roots Bloody Roots
-Generic UAC Base
-Weapon Research Facility
-"Enzo 01" (Needs to be renamed)
-Splatter House
-Horto Bellatorem
-Skull Crusher
-Deathmatch Prison
-The Crematorium
-R. Dungeon
-No Fun Zone
-"JP DM" (Needs to be renamed)
-Entrymake 2
-Suicide House.AVI
-"Enzo 02" (I can't remember his new mapnames D: )
-Spaceport
-Judgement
-Hell Halls
-You're In Hell
And finally, The Grand Void.

Block Fort (and maybe a few others) will end up as secret maps.

My map's a secret?

Hey Doomkid92: So I played Beta 4 online using Odamex with some dudes from Europe and I they highly recommended to me that I should change some of the weapon layouts in Map 14 "Spaceport." They didn't like searching for weapons in hidden places. In the next Beta, can you add more weapons near player spawn spots? I think they wanted a few more super shot guns.

Doomkid92 said:

(I can't remember [Enzo's] new mapnames D: )

>:(
- Outpost 17
- Soul Recycler

Edit: if someone would be so kind to do so, could someone replace the compblue on my second map (the big one) with a waterfall texture? I've seen waterfall textures in maps before which looked basically like blue acidfall textures, but because they looked just like the bloodfall and acidfall textures I took for granted that there would be a waterfall texture just like it, but there exists none in the DOOM2.WAD.

doomguy93 said:

can you add more weapons near player spawn spots? I think they wanted a few more super shot guns.

I think a few maps need some minor weapon tweaks. I sure can :)

joe-ilya said:

My map's a secret?

I'm sorry to say that it was voted out. Any maps not on this list did not make the cut, but don't be dissappointed - this is a chance to refine and improve your DM mapping style!
(I didn't recieve a vote from you, by the way! Every vote counted, I only recieved about 10 author's opinions/map votes in total.)

TheMionicDonut said:

You realize they have the old beta, right?

DMR_BET4.zip was the last public release, I believe (hope) that was what they used although it still has a fair share of glitches.

Enzo03 said:

>:(
- Outpost 17
- Soul Recycler

(D'oh!)

Enzo03 said:I took for granted that there would be a waterfall texture just like it, but there exists none in the DOOM2.WAD. [/B]

I can fix that up for you, no problem. :D

You guys will be happy to see W1D3A55's improvements/fixes on some of the maps, too. I'll post screenshots soon, I'm posting this all right before work. :P

I managed to squeeze in half an hour of playing this during yesterday's demo/preview on Odamex (RJY and company handed my ass to me repeatedly--man am I out of practice...) Anyways, while waiting for the file to load, I was reading their comments from the chat/ The one comment that stuck out, was that they thought a lot of the maps were single player maps modified for DM instead of dedicated DM maps. This was from the older beta with 29 maps--830-9pmEST

I sent to your email the latest updates to the maps I'm working on.

Uh, I'm sure the beta used on the Odamex servers have more than 29 maps... ...after all, my second map was map30 and not the last map.

Speaking of Odamex, I'm actually not sure I want to touch it with any shorter than a 39 and a half foot pole. It's not the port that's the problem, but I tried playing some coop servers and found some idiot kids telling me to leave because I ruined the game (they played like someone who never played Doom before). There was some narrow hallway where they managed to get on both sides of me and trap me and, upon trapping me, decided to start throwing out loads of insults.

Not a very good first impression.

But I digress.

Enzo03 said:

Uh, I'm sure the beta used on the Odamex servers have more than 29 maps... ...after all, my second map was map30 and not the last map.

You might be right, I really wasn't paying attention to that.

Enzo03 said:

Not a very good first impression.

But I digress.

I'll echo Doomguy93 on this one, every time I've managed to find players on Odamex they've been really nice oldschool Doomers.. I can't believe the trolls have made their way into Oda, figured they'd stick to the more popular ports.

Back on topic, in 2-3 days I'll be sending out the new condensed .WAD to you guys to give us all a clear view of what's left to fix and finish.

Hey Doomkid92, if you're still working on your E1M1/Map01 fusion, check out the first map of DWANGO7 (just saw this yesterday).

Oh man! That's a really good combo map.. (How have I missed D7 for all this time?) I'll really have to step up the game on my map. Thanks for showing me this!

A VASTLY IMPROVED DMR BETA APPROACHES:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ududvzy09zc29fb/DMR_v_9A.zip

Things that have changed:

-Player 1 starts added to most maps
-Some serious texture issues have been resolved. There are very few maps that don't run perfectly in Zdaemon and Odamex.
-Detailing added. Some maps are still very sparse, but we're working on it! W1D3A55's help in this region has been awesome.
-Smaller map rotation. The list of selected maps is above, and with the exception of 2 maps is still the same. We're at a nice clean 30 map list here. (Maps 1-28, then secret maps 31 and 94.)
-More DMR logos replacing UAC ones, just another detail.

So what's left to do? Detail the less visually-inspiring maps and make sure there are -zero- texture errors on all 3 ports. After that it's a bit of WAD polish, removing unused data and such.

I think I can safely say were at about 80% (or more) with this. The more help I recieve with detailing, error fixing, etc - the better!

:)

Is the link broken? I am unable to download the latest beta

I like this beta a lot and I approve of the map rotation :)

My custom texture is gone for some reason? And it the mouth of the icon of sin is in its place in both of my maps lol

Overall I really like the way you added the lighting in my maps, especially in spaceport. It gives it a nice atmosphere. The weapon placement is also much better too!

I spotted a missing texture in map 05 right by one of the blue fire torches.

Also my map horto bellatorem still doesn't have the red sky patch.

doomguy93 said:

the icon of sin is in its place in both of my maps lol
[...]
Also my map horto bellatorem still doesn't have the red sky patch.

How do I keep missing these? Will be fixed up, don't worry. (I was trying to remember if it was orange or red earlier, I just took a guess, but I was wrong!)