Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

megawads without final boss?

Are there any notable ones? Can you even have a megawad that ends at map 30 without a final boss, that goes on to display the end screen + cast of characters? (at least without being a zdoom wad or using scripting) - I've never seen a megawad where you just get to the exit and finish.

The commercials megawads, Hell to Pay and Perditions Gate both use the Boss Shooter.

But both have you racing to the exit before you are overwhelmed, rather than killing a Romero head.

10 sectors, 1st release of Scythe 2 and... unfortunately that's all I can think of. I'd like to know the answer as well :)

When you say boss, do you mean only the Icon of Sin? If that is the case then Hadephobia doesn't exactly have a final boss.

invictius said:

Are there any notable ones? Can you even have a megawad that ends at map 30 without a final boss, that goes on to display the end screen + cast of characters? (at least without being a zdoom wad or using scripting) - I've never seen a megawad where you just get to the exit and finish.

A.L.T. doesn't have a boss shooter finale, though it does have a metric ton of Cyberdemons.

For that matter, neither does Cyberdreams, though that's understandable.

Kama Sutra (at least if you're a kid), Doomworld Megawad Project 2012, Newgothic movement 1, Surge, Back to Saturn X E1.

All that comes to mind is GBA Doom and that's not a megawad nor is it pc related.

kmxexii said:

A.L.T. doesn't have a boss shooter finale, though it does have a metric ton of Cyberdemons.

I never understood how you were supposed to beat that area with the Cybers...could you explain it to me please? I kind of just skipped it (yeah, skipped the end...I know, I know).

killer2 said:

I never understood how you were supposed to beat that area with the Cybers...could you explain it to me please? I kind of just skipped it (yeah, skipped the end...I know, I know).

I don't remember how to lower the exit teleporter, but I think it involved running around in that inner area with the ankh relief. It may require multiple line passes. I think I was just waffling around and saw that it had happened.

SLIGE wads are pure class.

I really like the idea of a very difficult test of Dooming ability for the last map rather than an actual "final boss" so to speak, but you don't really see it that often.

My rot90fix megawad doesn't have a 'boss', but thats only 20 maps.

I think the /idgames definition of megawad is 17 maps or so.
If I ever make a megawad, the last map definitely will not have Icon of Sin. Maybe it will be an excruciatingly difficult long map or maybe I'll put a super easy KDitD style map at the end just as a joke, but no boring shoot a rocket in the hole action. I don't understand why people keep making such maps, IIRC it was already done in 1994 in some obscure wad...

I don't have an issue with the Icon of Sin being used as a 'final boss', but I'd prefer it if there was a lot of stuff to get through before being allowed to kill it. You know, just top off an otherwise regular map with the obligatory Icon battle.

But for Christ's sake, away with the lower/raise platform gimmick.

Scythe, Scythe 2 (I think), Slaughterfest 2011, Slaughterfest 2012, Survive in Hell and Clausterphobia 1024-2 are all megawads where MAP30 is missing the infamous Icon of Sin fight.

Survive in hell is an excellent example which creates a completely different doom 2 end boss battle.

BaronOfStuff said:

I don't have an issue with the Icon of Sin being used as a 'final boss', but I'd prefer it if there was a lot of stuff to get through before being allowed to kill it. You know, just top off an otherwise regular map with the obligatory Icon battle.

But for Christ's sake, away with the lower/raise platform gimmick.

or go through a regular map with demon spawners spawning new monsters such as Ostoyae Anomoly (Hadephobia Map20).

@Nevan - i think there ARE Demon Spawners in that map - but you don't damage an IoS to win the map.

Are we talking about romero heads or spawn shooters? I use romero heads on any map slot but I never use spawn shooters in my megawads.

Nevan said:

1994 Tune-Up Challenge, challenging MAP30 map without IOS.

There was still the "spawn various demons" aspect. Just no clear object spawning them.

That was a great map btw.