User Profile | New Blog | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | Member List | Search Forums | Register | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Morons > Post Hell > UAC Ultra 2 - Episode 1: Breed of Decay [40oz mongs up his own project thread]
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 12:24.   
40oz
Forum Spammer

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/4246/opimg.png

UAC ULTRA 2 - Episode 1: Breed of Decay

This is episode 1 of 5 of UAC Ultra 2.

The episode features all six levels of the first episode plus a bonus preview of the first level of Episode 2 - Sudden Death!

Screenshots!

E1 MAP01: Super Entryway
E1 MAP02: Promised Land
E1 MAP03: The Confines
E1 MAP04: Emergency Route
E1 MAP05: Protocrux
E1 MAP06: Heresyte Machine
--BONUS--
E2 MAP07: This is Not A Drill

UAC Ultra 2 is intended for all Boom Compatible source ports. It is designed to be playable (and play well) on Single Player on all skill levels (including Nightmare!), Cooperative, Survival Cooperative, Nightmare Coop, and Deathmatch.

Don't hesitate to try it on lesser skill levels on your first run. The difficulties you select in UAC Ultra 2 hardly change the volume of monsters. The harder skill level you choose, the more difficulty you'll have obtaining weapons and armor (You're expected to know where the secrets are). On Easy, you may find a green armor and a shotgun in the starting room; on Hard you may be expected to run down a hallway, awakening monsters and activating closet traps and unlock a secret tunnel to get those same items.

Search for secrets! Each level has an abundance of large DTWID-styled secret areas. In many levels, completing them without finding any secrets may also result in 30% or less kills, and only reveal about one third of the map.

IMPORTANT NOTE!: If you intend to play UAC Ultra 2 on -solo-net or Survival Cooperative it is advised that you play on skill level 1, for increased hordes of monsters and for the doubled ammo and halfed damage (Armor Items are removed for this skill level.) Skill level 3 is suitable for standard coop with respawning items. Skill level 4 does not have additional coop monsters in order to preserve the levels as 'Nightmare friendly.' It is highly encouraged that you give Nightmare a chance, the levels were designed with Nightmare in mind!

Show me your screenshots of intermission screens, deathmatch duels, and coop massacres (and bug reports too, hopefully not though!) And send me your speedrun demos, Tysons, Nightmare playthroughs, and UV-Maxs! I'm eager to see them!

Happy Columbine School Shooting Day! KILL 'EM AAAAALLLL!!!!!

Old Post 04-20-13 21:24
40oz is offline Profile || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
schwerpunk

Dear God, downloading!!!

EDIT: Just played the first level in prboom, and it feels nice. Definitely enjoying the gritty aesthetic so far.

Last edited by schwerpunk on 04-20-13 at 21:40

Old Post 04-20-13 21:26
schwerpunk is offline Profile || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Da Spadger

40oz said:

Classy.

Old Post 04-20-13 21:32
Da Spadger is offline Profile || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jimmy
doesn't rhyme with MIDI :(

Whoa! It's been a while. Very excited to play this, will do as soon as possible.

Last line of the first post isn't in terribly good taste, though. Might be an idea to, like, not say that shit.

Jimmy's Blog of Death - I make terrible posts here.

Old Post 04-20-13 21:36
Jimmy is offline Profile || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Seele00TextOnly

40oz said:
http://i.imgur.com/jzISCBm.jpg
Way to instantly derail your own thread.

Old Post 04-20-13 21:41
Seele00TextOnly is offline Profile || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
dew
experts

40oz said:

/deletes his nm demos. ugh.

Old Post 04-20-13 21:41
dew is offline Profile || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ribbiks

neat. my only immediate complaint is that it's often difficult to read your health using prb HUD, though I guess I could suck it up and play with the normal statbar

Old Post 04-20-13 21:42
Ribbiks is offline Profile || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Snakes

40oz has a history of making light of shootings, so I can't say I'm surprised at all. I expect this nonsense from him.

Downloading anyways. Unlike Phil Fish, 40oz has actually made something worth playing, douchery put aside. Posting bugs and notes in spoilers as I find them.
Spoiler:

Notes:

MAP01:
Nice little starting map. Simple enough of skill 4 with a clever secret or two. Balance is just dandy so that you only probably need to find one of the weapons/power-ups to get through with no problems. I like the long secret path to the shotgun as well. I see your deliberate avoidance of 45 degree angles is as severe as I thought it'd be. Nice looking map, but visually I don't feel quite as immersed as I did in the original.

BUGS:
-Linedef 1950 should be flagged 'secret'

Map02:
First run through, I finished with a closing number of something like 45/12/22. Not to be a nit picker, but could you please mark your exits somehow? I had no idea that map was about to end. Otherwise, it was a quick, fun little playthrough. Ceiling lights near the start look a bit goofy as the flat gets cutoff by the rest of ceiling. Also, am I mistaken or is that SOAD's 'Jet Pilot' as the midi. Made me heh.

BUGS:
-Linedef 1509 should be flagged 'secret'

Last edited by Snakes on 04-20-13 at 22:23

Old Post 04-20-13 21:53
Snakes is offline Profile || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
RottKing

40oz said:
Happy Columbine School Shooting Day! KILL 'EM AAAAALLLL!!!!! [/B]

Congrats on pissing off and alienating a bunch of people, 40oz. Also, the black and white screenshots are lame, just make them in color ffs. Looking forward to playing this though.

Last edited by RottKing on 04-20-13 at 22:03

Old Post 04-20-13 21:55
RottKing is offline Profile || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
40oz
Forum Spammer

oh please :P

Old Post 04-20-13 22:05
40oz is offline Profile || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
schwerpunk

The black&white screenshots are what initially sold me on downloading this, but then, I am heading the Monochrome Project, so maybe I'm biased. :P

Old Post 04-20-13 22:34
schwerpunk is offline Profile || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Spammer

FDAs
This wad is like a nightmare. You're running directionless in dimly lit monotonous black environments, you hear sinister music in your head and there is stuff that tries to kill you everywhere. Can't say I enjoyed the gameplay much, mostly it's just simple E1 style action. Rarely it gets tense when you run out of ammo/health but overall there is nothing interesting for me. But the nightmarish feeling, whether intentional or not, was pretty damn awesome. You certainly have created something unique.
Who made the music btw?
Oh, and if you want to appeal to as many doomers as possible, please make the smooth animation stuff optional.

Old Post 04-20-13 22:44
Memfis is online now Profile || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
[WH]-Wilou84

My FDAs for the first 3 maps : http://www.mediafire.com/?bqsjp9s8261fw2v
( PrBoom 2.5.0, Ultra-Violence, complevel 9 )

Great work so far, I love your new palette / textures ( particularly the green tints ).
The atmosphere is unique, and definitely enjoyable.
I'd have picked a more "eerie" and slower soundtrack maybe, to try to reinforce the dark atmosphere.

I was a bit disoriented by the weapon animations ( I guess it's an edit of Perkristian's enhanced animation sequences, that's cool but I don't use this kind of stuff to be honest ), but after a while it went better.

The maps are non-linear, which is always a plus, but maybe too easy and "empty" as of yet ( aside from the beginning of map 03 ). I recall the opening maps of the first UAC Ultra seemed harder, to me at least.
There were multiple places where Demons & Spectres were useless ( see FDAs ). By "useless", I mean that they couldn't even reach the player and could be easily picked up from afar.

I liked the multiple secrets.

I'll go back to playing
Brilliant work, 40oz.

Old Post 04-20-13 22:45
[WH]-Wilou84 is online now Profile || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Urban Space Cowboy

40oz said:
You're expected to know where the secrets are
Then they aren't very secret, are they?

Old Post 04-21-13 04:16
Urban Space Cowboy is offline Profile || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
scalliano
This door is opened elsewhere...

40oz said:

Downloaded before I read this sentence. The word "cunt" is insufficient.

Old Post 04-21-13 04:43
scalliano is offline Profile || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Xaser
Forum Staple

I really don't get why one would feel the need to blatantly post such a thing in order to generate controversy/attention/whatever. This is UAC Friggin' Ultra 2 -- it doesn't need anything extra to get massive attention anyway. :P

tl;dr: stop that

Old Post 04-21-13 06:15
Xaser is offline Profile || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jimmy
doesn't rhyme with MIDI :(

Having just played through it all, I have a lot to say. First of all, good job to everyone involved in the project. I would say that unfortunately it wasn't entirely to my personal tastes, but I will explain why.

The new textures for the most part look good, though the green, unanimated slimy texture which is used for teleporters is... strange to say the least. (Particularly here - I mean, what?) There's a diagonal stripey flat used a lot which I don't like very much. I also don't understand the purpose of the Doom 2 map list appearing very clearly on that one computer texture. (It perhaps would've worked if the font was 1 or 2 pixels smaller so you had to have a really keen eye to make it out.)

Also, the status bar is almost illegible. I can only just make out the words "ammunition" and "life" on it, and the numbers are the blackest shade of black I've ever seen.

The environments created by the textures are clearly very well put together, but for some reason I just didn't find it as engaging as the first UAC Ultra. Virtually everything is grey and really roughened, with a smack of brown and green thrown in to make it look military, but the overall aesthetic of the mapset is kind of bleak and cheerless. I certainly felt as if I was immersed in a new and unique environment, but... I didn't really want to be there after a while. It was lacklustre. Not in the "generally bad" sense of the word - in the sense of lacking lustre. I just couldn't find a lot of appeal in its visual department (though the new blues are pretty cool). I'm pretty sure I had to open a wall that was not a door in order to progress through the rest of MAP04. Oh yeah, and this happened.

The layouts don't really fare a whole lot better, in my view. The majority of the maps look simply like deathmatch maps - Hellbent layouts, in particular - just filled with monsters. A lot of the indoor rooms are non-orthogonal and kind of forgettable, and oddly open and spacious when you have map names like "The Confines". A couple of outdoor areas were pretty cool, though.

One thing I noticed is that some of the lighting choices don't make a whole lot of sense.

The gameplay seems to be fantastically non-linear with lots of interconnectivity, almost to the point where it feels sandboxy and loopy. I didn't really get lost, but I did find myself thinking that some of the rooms just seemed outright superfluous to requirements. I'm fairly certain I could've skipped quite a few of them and I probably would've enjoyed the mapset a bit more had I done so. Perhaps this mapset would've benefitted from it just being shorter.

The music is all death metal MIDIs. They sound really daft, to be honest. When the guitars are playing 32nd notes at 200bpm, it kind of makes my ears want to escape my head. After a while it got really grating and I had to change it. Honestly, after UAC Ultra's wonderfully atmospheric and quirky Abuse MIDIs, why was this direction taken with the music? This is noticeably darker and grittier than the first UAC Ultra, so slow and ambient music would've fit this like a charm. The monster placement certainly doesn't seem any more frantic or slaughtery than the first, so all things considered, the high-speed metal shredfests just seem like a rubbish choice in general.

The weapon behaviors have been changed slightly. Not for the better, in my opinion. The pistol looks jerky, the shotgun uses PK's smooth animation when the rest of the weapons don't, the chaingun looks glitchy and weird, and the rocket launcher actually fires sooner than normal, which jars a bit.

The novelty started to wear thin around MAP04, and MAP05 and MAP06 were perfectly forgettable. The music had just gotten stupid by that point and the maps were getting bigger but not really any more memorable. Past that point, finishing the mapset felt tiring.

Monster and item placement seemed well-balanced on the "Memento Mori" skill setting. No complaints there, but I didn't find a chaingun until MAP03 (after I'd found a rocket launcher in MAP02) though I don't know whether this was intentional - and didn't find an SSG until far later. Could've used it a lot sooner and then perhaps progressing through the maps wouldn't have felt as chorish.

I liked finding the secrets. Didn't get them all, but the ones that I did get were pleasing - switches that opened little panels a short distance away, in particular - though the switch textures themselves often completely blended in with the surrounding computer panels... even the non-secret ones at times.

Okay, everything summed up, this is at best an okay mapset in my view. A little bit disappointing but nothing horrible.

Oh, wait - the bonus level.

I just can't get over the anti-ending to this map which basically ruins the whole mapset for me completely. It's perhaps the worst ending to a WAD I have ever witnessed in my life. Not only am I treated to more really bad MIDI grindcore throughout MAP07, but the Icon setup is just... ridiculous. I'm forced to preserve my rockets (and there's no indication that I have to, but it's absolutely essential for the setup here), as when I get to the shooting point, I'm trapped there. No teleporter or doorway leading out, nothing. All I can do is fire rockets at the Icon - through some incredibly visually obstructing metal bars, so it's easy to miss - and if I don't have enough to defeat it, I have to wait for something to kill me. I also have to pray that there's no lost souls, cacodemons or pain elementals that can easily get in the way and force my autoaim onto them, so I have to gamble on the boss cube lotto for that one. Finally, when the final fight is done, it's not the end. You walk past the icon (which okay is sort of a neat idea), and... have to beat one more area before getting to the exit switch? Really? Oh, wait - it's not an exit switch after all. IT KILLS YOU. It kills you instantly, and immediately forces you back to a previous savegame, leaving you trapped in this woeful, torturous map for all of eternity. ALL OF MY HAITI.

I can't rate this WAD highly after that. That ending has made the previous six maps, which were already sluggish in gameplay and lacking in visual appeal, seem like a wholly pointless exercise. There's no finish to this mapset. No goal for the player to reach. No reward after beating the dreadful Icon fight. Just... a switch that triggers instant death. At first it was underwhelming, now it's just downright insulting.

My hopes for Episode 2 are dubious.

Jimmy's Blog of Death - I make terrible posts here.

Old Post 04-21-13 08:27
Jimmy is offline Profile || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Csonicgo

I couldn't even play this mapset. Sorry. I tried.

Last edited by Csonicgo on 04-21-13 at 09:06

Old Post 04-21-13 08:42
Csonicgo is offline Profile || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
dew
experts

i actually like the wild non-linear layouts even though i often don't know where i'm headed. it feels alien and disturbing and quite unique. the dark uniform texturing helps... but often too much. map04 in particular is an evil maze and you take away the automap... i found myself getting lost in a cleared map, because i took a wrong turn. this would be utterly catastrophic in nightmare, heh. i think some maps would benefit from a beacon, a standout visual element to reference my position from. the blue key pillar in map05 works excellent, although that map is a bit smaller and simpler than the previous mazes. if you don't want to touch architecture, perhaps add some outstanding colours to what you already have in "crucial points".

i'm okay with UV not being cutthroat. it is a misconception in the doom community that UV has to strain even the most skilled among us - the goal may be to create an easier wad overall, or use -solo-net as the next difficulty, or even (in your case) to enable nightmare gameplay. that's more of a note to the others, not you, of course. :P i described the UV gameplay as sort of dbimpactish, but the more i think about it, that's not correct - uacultra2 e1 feels like visually bleached and darkened, monster-filled fava beans on steroids.

Old Post 04-21-13 11:35
dew is offline Profile || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
walter confalonieri

when i come back at home i download this....

Old Post 04-21-13 12:03
walter confalonieri is offline Profile || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Chex Warrior

Very cool so far, only criticism is the status bar is nigh unreadable.

Old Post 04-21-13 12:13
Chex Warrior is offline Profile || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Avoozl
Forum Staple

My only complaint is that there doesn't seem to be enough ammo in UV mode.

Old Post 04-21-13 12:53
Avoozl is offline Profile || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Spammer

Jimmy91 said:
I can't rate this WAD highly after that. That ending has made the previous six maps, which were already sluggish in gameplay and lacking in visual appeal, seem like a wholly pointless exercise. There's no finish to this mapset. No goal for the player to reach. No reward after beating the dreadful Icon fight. Just... a switch that triggers instant death. At first it was underwhelming, now it's just downright insulting.

Yeah, you die at the end of your life so there is no point in living.

Old Post 04-21-13 13:53
Memfis is online now Profile || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
darkreaver

Jimmy91 said:
Just... a switch that triggers instant death. At first it was underwhelming, now it's just downright insulting.

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Old Post 04-21-13 15:10
darkreaver is offline Profile || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GBT3

You die at the end of Knee-Deep in the Dead, now that's downright insulting. What you expect from introduction, first episode, kind of shareware to full episode? Same rule applies to Doom 2 projects although much less frequent to stop your progress with such cliffhanger when only part is finished. I like "episodes" idea in Doom 2 but sadly, because continuous campaign and laziness of id there's no intermission map like Doom 1 (well you can always rename automap and intermission levels to E1M3 for map03 or E4M1 for map21) :P

Last edited by GBT3 on 04-21-13 at 16:03

Old Post 04-21-13 15:57
GBT3 is offline Profile || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
maggotjoe
Pistol Start

i like the theme of these maps!

Old Post 04-21-13 16:10
maggotjoe is offline Profile || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
[WH]-Wilou84

FDAs for maps 04 to 07 : http://www.mediafire.com/?hkx2cajo29j7qiy
( PrBoom 2.5.0 -complevel 9, Ultra-Violence etc. )

Favorite maps : 04, 05, 06

Pros :
- New textures / palette
- Dark atmosphere
- Non-linear maps
- Interesting layouts
- Clever secrets ( many of them )
- Escalating gameplay
- Attention put into difficulty settings ( okay, Nightmare it is then )

Cons / nitpicks :
- Modified weapon behavior, most notably the Rocket Launcher
- Map 07...
- Not enough ammo / armor at the beginning of map 05
- Some texture misalignments, a pity with such a texture set ( see FDA on map 06 in particular )
- The music kinda ruins the dark mood, but to each their own

Great stuff

GBT3 said:
You die at the end of Knee-Deep in the Dead

Nope, check the intermission text. It's a teaser for The Shores of Hell

Old Post 04-21-13 18:47
[WH]-Wilou84 is online now Profile || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GBT3

Yes you die, it's part of mechanic and shareware plot, not part of registered story. This is resolved in Shores of Hell with no mention of trouble during teleport to Deimos. Typical cliffhanger at that time (hero who is apparently killed, but somehow survived and is alive in later episodes of game or tv series).

Old Post 04-21-13 19:17
VylePhinder
Banned

40oz said:

I was gonna try this, but, eh, I pretty much don't like you or anything you do or represent, now.

Sorry to be so blatantly honest, but let's face it... What if someone tried to indulge in a tragedy where your children lost their lives?

It's not just in bad taste, it's downright immoral, on a sadist level. If BTK or Ted Bundy made maps, I wouldn't support them either.

Clearly you either have no soul or just need to very much grow the fuck up. Sry, I don't mean to insult you, but you insulted yourself and all of us with that statement.

I feel utterly disgusted now...

Old Post 04-21-13 19:37
VylePhinder is offline Profile || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GBT3

There's nothing immoral in what he posted, violence is joke in many situations with no apparent reason or political correctness trying to judge it.

First three levels are pretty disorienting but you can fast adapt to design and go with the flow. I like health/ammo balance except last map.

Old Post 04-21-13 20:16