User Profile | New Blog | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | Member List | Search Forums | Register | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Morons > Post Hell > UAC Ultra 2 - Episode 1: Breed of Decay [40oz mongs up his own project thread]
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 16:36.   
Justince

Well I'm disappointed. Not in the project so much itself, or even that shitty 'joke'. I'm disappointed because 40oz didn't even have the confidence or pride in his own project to let it stand on it's own merit. Instead it becomes cheapened and embroiled in some stupid scandal over a tasteless quip about murdered teenagers. I'm sure you've made many 13 year olds chuckle and probably gave Sigvatard a chubby, but you've essentially ruined the image of your own hard work.

So yeah, if you don't give a crap about any of this why should we? As for UAC 2, I found it to be a real bore. Ugly, hideous textures that suck personality from every scene, bad music that makes me wish I was deaf, and tiresome gameplay that simply falls flat after the first few stages. I understand what you were going for with the non-linear gameplay, but it needs more work. DTWID achieved this far better unintentionally. I have high hopes for E2, maybe get more outside feedback before dumping this crap on us, huh?

Old Post 04-23-13 19:13
Justince is offline Profile || Click here to Send Justince a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Doomkid

Well, let me start this off by saying this mapset is worth checking out, for both the good and the bad. It's full to the brim with what-to-do AND what-not-to-do, which in itself is rare. 40oz is undeniably a better mapper than I am. Players will certainly find inspiration for your own maps in one way or another by looking through this.

* Judge this set based on what you think about it from a Dooming perspective, don't change your review simply because of 'jokes' that are thoughtless or offensive in your eyes. *

I'm a bit torn on the maps themselves - How can such awesome layouts be so heavily compromised by ass-gravy texturing? It basically suffers from what a lot of recent FPS suffer from, not enough color. As someone else mentioned, why are these bases so gritty and dirty, yet perfectly functional? Color serves to awaken the senses, and while the layouts themsevles did just that, the lack of color was simply off-putting. Doom's default texturing is a bit dirty, but not a mess of greyish-greenish pixels.

The music isn't that great, but it's definitely not as bad as some people claim. A little too fast and a little too heavy. Maybe the music wad should have been it's own separate file, to help reduce complaints in that region.

All of the maps are cool, if a little repetitive, but Map07 sucks. I mean it looks cool, but it sucks. Just delete it from existance and start fresh with a new Boss battle idea - but the map name itself is pretty badass, don't often see names like that for Doom maps.

Just to beat the dead horse, I'll state my thoughts on the "humor" present in some of 40's posts. I'm not super-offended like some others are, but.. All of us here at Doomworld are part of a niche-gaming scene, and being idiots towards one another only serves to further divide an already small community.

No matter how much acid you've dropped or 40 ounces you've slugged down, (c wut i did there) it's fairly uncool to make jokes about tragedy, but you're not the first to do it and you won't be the last. Everyone could stand to lay off 40 a bit - or not, since it's the internet and we put literally nothing at risk by being cuntfaces/acting 'too cool for school' online. (As opposed to voicing retarded-ass opinions in person, where someone could then react by beating the life out of us.)

Morality is a strange thing, in'nit? Who's to say a game like Grand Theft Auto isn't "in the wrong" - Someone who's freinds died in car crashes might not find the same enjoyment we find in GTA, but does that mean it should be disallowed? Definitely not. Though to be fair, GTA offers us a lot more than cheap shots at the dead. Maybe if a loved one is taken away from you before their time you'll actually understand the implications of what you're typing up. I personally haven't gone through something so horrible so I won't pretend to understand how it feels, and I don't really get a kick out of insulting morons like Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold anyway. They gave a bad name to DOOM back in the 90's and for that I just can't forgive them. (True story.)

TL;DR - STFU Doomkid and get to the point: Cool map layouts with boring texturing and lame music. 3.5/5, defintely not the "trash" some have made it out to be. Play it and see. Also learn to forgive and forget.

Last edited by Doomkid on 04-24-13 at 05:27

Old Post 04-24-13 05:12
Doomkid is offline Profile || Click here to Send Doomkid a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
40oz
Forum Spammer

Okay okay.

It appears as though I've jumped the gun a bit by releasing the whole first episode of UAC Ultra 2 as opposed to say, a sampler of one map from each episode instead.

As a level designer for Doom, I have a very strong commitment to creating levels that cater to every skill level, game mode, and most importantly, each demographic of the Doom community. As I move on to experimenting with more scenarios, layouts, and types of monsters, the challenges become greater as I attempt to create levels that work each way.

I believe many of those that posted here as great fans of UAC Ultra 1 may find Episode 2 to feature much more what they came here looking for, and I apologize that the first episode didn't deliver. Episode 2 will be much more true to UAC Ultra 1 in which it will feature large, rusty, heavy machinery, a darker, more ominous underground feeling, and of course, the entire cast of Doom 2 monsters, weapons, and items that didn't make an appearance in Episode 1. Episode 2 will also feature even greater and more dynamic layouts, with heavy emphasis on recreating that super shotgun murderfest many of you UAC Ultra 1 fans loved. There will also be plenty of rockets and plasma gun usage, as well as the deadly Doom 2 revenants, mancubi and pain elementals in great numbers, whilst avoiding things like doorway fights, and cluttering rooms with heavy monsters that would take longer to kill on Nightmare than they would to respawn (I'm experimenting with placing large monsters in locations in which they are awoken by sound, and meander into the places I want them to go, so as to respawn away from vital areas on Nightmare mode, but still pose as formidable defense for non-nightmare skill levels)

Episode 3 will be even more ominous, as it gets deeper into the planets core, with giant fissures in the floors, diabolical imagery, and twisted gnarled metal machines, with giant evil churches and castles summoning themselves within the base, creating a horrific "The Shores of Hell" styled atmosphere that's begging to be explored. The volume of monsters will be lessened, in favor of heavier deadlier monsters, such as Hell Barons, Archviles, and Cyberdemons. The weapons and ammunition will be scarce, simulating the gameplay styles of Malcolm Sailor's "Chord" series, with puzzle solving maps in the style of Cyberdreams, but with more than just Cyberdemons. The player will be expected to choose his BFG shots carefully, use the shotguns and rockets only when needed, and preserve ammo through the use of berserk punching and chainsawing to survive.

Episode 4 is when the player is certainly not in Kansas anymore. The levels will feature large highly-detailed towers and melancholic Gothic Deathmatches' styled castles. The monster volume will be heavily amplified in the style of New Gothic Movement slaughters in many nonlinear Doom 2 IWAD map super-remakes, such as E3M4: House of Pain, MAP11: The Factory, MAP16: The Suburbs, and MAP19: The Citadel. The player will using a lot of Plasma gun and rockets as usual, and will have to defend his territory as it's swarmed from all different directions in a Skulltag/Zandronum Invasion styled fashion.

Episode 5 really spirals out of control when the player arrives deep into the fiery embers of Hell. The monster population skyrockets into insurmountable numbers, and the player must move fast, and keep his trigger finger stiff, unleashing all hell at the demons as hell unleashes itself back at him. There will be giant Skagway-like canyons, immense fortresses to assault, and blood splattered everywhere. The levels tend to go into the extremes of maps like TimeOfDeath's Degrassi, Huy Pham's Deus Vult 1, and some adventurous painful journeys of Erik Alms single maps.

I'm attempting to achieve this while including enormous secret areas to extend the gameplay for the players if he or she truly enjoys whichever level they are playing on, include an isolated deathmatch level for players to duel each other on, focus the gameplay on all skill levels, especially one that twists the gameplay as heavily as Nightmare mode does, and provide wide open spaces and interconnectivity to allow players to play coop without bumping into each other, and approach each monster encounter the way they choose.

The challenges only become greater as I set my sights for bigger, better, and more dynamic gameplay that I can fathom with standard limit removing/boom compatible settings, but I believe that when this is finished it will be one of the biggest, baddest, timeless, and most profound megawads we've seen in a long time.

In hopes of holding your attention, I'll press onward to at least create one decent level from each episode that stays true to how I've described them in this post, and release a sampler, hopefully within the next couple of months. Please have faith in me.

As far as the music goes, I enjoy it and will leave it the same (excepting The Green Herrings track that I used for the Title Music) unless someone would like to step up to the plate and create music for this. But all the musicians I've spoke to have kept their distance, and until then, I've already got a brutal soundtrack lined up for the entire megawad. So suck it :P

Also in regards to those who thought my textures were ugly, I'm sorry. I guess I'm not as talented a texture artist as I thought, and I can only do so much.

Old Post 04-24-13 06:45
40oz is offline Profile || Click here to Send 40oz a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
purist

Doomkid92 said:
Morality is a strange thing, in'nit? Who's to say a game like Grand Theft Auto isn't "in the wrong" - Someone who's freinds died in car crashes might not find the same enjoyment we find in GTA, but does that mean it should be disallowed?

True, an italian plummer stamped my pet turtles to death and I think it's quite sickening that Nintendo have tastelessly failed to acknowledge my misery.

Old Post 04-24-13 06:51
purist is offline Profile || Click here to Send purist a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
valkiriforce
Forum Regular

Justince said:
maybe get more outside feedback before dumping this crap on us, huh?

That is a completely ignorant thing to say considering we ARE the outside feedback.

Old Post 04-24-13 07:41
valkiriforce is offline Profile || Click here to Send valkiriforce a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ragnor
I do see the humour in a mod sneakily changing my title

40oz, that detailed description has me sold. I hope you can deliver on it! I love a good feel for adventure in maps.

Old Post 04-24-13 08:22
Ragnor is offline Profile || Click here to Send Ragnor a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
KiiiYiiiKiiiA

In his defence, 40oz has certainly delivered something very different here. It is a remarkable piece of work, and I hope it comes to be seen as such. Very few, if any, mappers will try to tackle the huge challenges of making something playable on all difficulty settings, and maps that allow the player such incredible freedom to find their own way to the exit. This, to me added massively to the experience.

In most Doom maps, the player is the centre of everything. The player triggers traps, the player gets keys, the player sees the different areas, the player moves according to a predetermined path, (or paths). In short, the designer takes the player by the hand and leads them through the gameplay and the map design. This mapset takes the radically different approach of simply throwing the player into a series of virtually open world maps and letting them find their own way through as best as they can. The gameplay manages to merge survival horror aspects in with the standard Doom killfest. I feel these levels are very immersive due to their unpredictability.

Yeah the textures were never going to be to everyone's taste, but they work pretty well from a design standpoint, and add to the bleak, gritty feel of the levels. The music was neither here nor there for me, as I often play Doom without any music anyway.

You guys can like or hate this, and you are of course perfectly free to do so, but I do hope that people at least understand how much 40oz has stepped out and tried something radically different, and I really hope that these maps will be the start of a general trend towards open world, free-flowing level design.

Old Post 04-24-13 10:42
KiiiYiiiKiiiA is offline Profile || Click here to Send KiiiYiiiKiiiA a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Demonologist

40oz said:
Okay okay.
[...]

Well, now I'm pretty confident that I'll continue tracking this thing down even though E1 has left a bad taste in my mouth. This monstrous description promises mountains of gold. If the real deal comes close to these - fuck me if I don't at least give it a try.

And just to make things clear - I personally didn't call it downright bad. I said that it's not my style and I also don't like pretty minimalistic designs which are predominant here (at least in the first half). I can't - and I won't - say anything against mapping experiments and trangressing boundaries, but such experiments and transgressions rarely appeal to me to be honest. It's all a subjective matter.

So, I sincerely wish 40oz to make his ambitious plans come true and I hope he'll make something outstanding. So far this isn't that great, but no one knows how it would turn out in the future.

Old Post 04-24-13 11:16
Demonologist is offline Profile || Click here to Send Demonologist a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Doomkid

purist said:
True, an italian plummer stamped my pet turtles to death and I think it's quite sickening that Nintendo have tastelessly failed to acknowledge my misery.

What saddens me is that morons out there actually make claims like this, and are not joking. (My point was that we can't censor people's work/opinions just to cater to the easily offended. I am all for freedom of expression in any medium, hopefully that was made clear in my original post.)

Well 40oz, I hope to see some previews of what you're working on soon. As I stated before, the layouts are great and I'm keen to see your ideas stated above come to life.

Old Post 04-24-13 14:41
Doomkid is offline Profile || Click here to Send Doomkid a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
kmxexii

Your description of your design plans reads like an over the top escalating joke at first but I'm deeply intrigued by your descriptive teaser. I haven't played UAC Ultra - or this beta (I hate playing demos :P) - but if you deliver on half of your intentions I'll be stoked. I can't say I'm intrigued by the idea of dispatching hordes of Doom enemies (plus the Hell knight) with the shotgun and chaingun but I loved your tweaks of "Tunnels" and especially "Return to Ultima" in 1994TU.

Old Post 04-24-13 15:15
kmxexii is offline Profile || Click here to Send kmxexii a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
franckFRAG

I like very much your description of your projects to come, every time I moved forward I imagined the result. However, I hope that it is not too ambitious, to create a megawad of a high quality, with all these ideas, and alone. In any case I hope that you will manage to make it till the end.

Old Post 04-24-13 17:22
franckFRAG is offline Profile || Click here to Send franckFRAG a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Not Jabba

Just another 2 cents in the pot: I liked the visual aesthetic and the level layouts, but like many people, I found the music to be a dealbreaker. It's just too grating. I would play more of this, but only after manually changing all the music to something more suitable, which may or may not be worth my time. I know that's my problem; just giving feedback.

I appreciate the open design concept too--it's a really nice change of pace--but I still think the execution could be improved by introducing the SSG and RL on level 3 or so and making *light* use of chaingunners, lost souls, and a few mid-level monsters like revenants. These may be the earliest levels, but as many have already pointed out, they're long enough to warrant the changes.

Old Post 04-24-13 19:04
Not Jabba is online now Profile || Click here to Send Not Jabba a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Tarnsman
Forum Regular

40oz said:
*Insert lengthy post about how Episodes 2 through 5 will be the best thing since sliced bread here*

Hey 40oz, I'm looking forward to it and all, but David Cage and Peter Molyneux just called and they said you might want to tone down the hype just a little bit.

Old Post 04-24-13 20:56
Tarnsman is offline Profile || Click here to Send Tarnsman a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
scalliano
This door is opened elsewhere...

Really? Strange, I just got a voicemail from Randy Pitchford yelling "NOOOOOOOO!!!"

Old Post 04-24-13 22:57
scalliano is offline Profile || Click here to Send scalliano a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
ClonedPickle

After watching parts of it streamed, I went through it myself to see how it would go. It definitely went better than I expected; I thought going in that difficulty was going to be a problem, but it really wasn't.

Of course, I did make two major modifications for my own sake: I cranked up the brightness a bit to adjust for the TV I was playing on and so I could actually see doors/secret walls (I noticed Jimmy walked around for a bit on one particular occasion until finding a door that was just chilling there). Also, I substituted my own music. Well, your own music? I grabbed four pop song midis that you (you being 40oz) used in 32in24 maps and listened to those instead (except for 01 and 07, after reading Rott's post). That definitely helped, as the completely-out-of-place midis were hilarious and made the whole experience more enjoyable instead of annoying.

The texturing definitely... needs work though. I remember UAC Ultra 1 being very colorful, especially orange, and Episode 1 of this was not. Honestly, if those screenshots were in black and white except the sprites, it wouldn't be much different from in-game. Like, they weren't even bad textures, and in moderation it could totally work for areas that are extra-dark/ominous, but just having whole levels be straight-up grey is not good unless there's a noir gimmick I didn't pick up on.

I can appreciate the Doom 1 "restrictions" you've got going for episode 1, but I feel like the player should know that going into it. Personally I didn't mind having just the shotgun, chaingun, and chainsaw as my main workhorses, but it definitely does lengthen the process. It wasn't until late map06 that I really started to crave the SSG, and that probably could have been staunched by having more abundant rocket ammo, as I felt like I needed to preserve that for when shit REALLY hit the fan and typically shotgunned or beat up the abundant Cacos and Knights (thank you for rarely using Barons, by the way). I dunno, I just got the memo of "hey there are secrets everywhere" and "hey if you play in UV I hope you realize you're gonna rely on secrets" but missed the one about "hey this is gonna take a while fyi."

Overall, it wasn't bad by any means, it just could be quite a bit better. While it's not quite as... revolutionary as you make it sound, the free-form levels and secrets out the wazoo are definitely fun to romp through, but you've got to change the soundtrack to fit that. If you want to use grindcore or whatever midis, you should keep them to map07-like maps, that's fine. But if you keep them for every map, I just hope you're alright with people listening to Lady Gaga midis instead.

PS: Is the first soulsphere secret in map03 bugged? I hopped in there and couldn't get out without jumping. Also there are a few HOMs about, though I didn't mentally keep track of where. You probably already know though, so hey.

Old Post 04-25-13 06:42
ClonedPickle is offline Profile || Click here to Send ClonedPickle a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Death Egg
Forum Regular

FDA (Mostly, except I had played some of MAP01 beforehand) of me beating the first 5 maps and playing MAP06 on -complevel 2.

I like what you've done so far. I haven't played the original UAC Ultra so I didn't have something in my mind to constantly compare this mapset to like other people did. All of the fights were fun, the maps were very non-linear, and the massive amount of large secrets also added to how exciting it was to traverse the expansive maps. All of the traps are very thoughtfully placed, and all of my deaths were by my fault alone and not by terrible design decisions. (All of my deaths were on MAP06) I didn't see what was past the slaughter area of MAP06 though, as I'd died a few times beforehand and I kinda got a bit frustrated with how my last death went and quit. The maps did kind of blend together a bit at points texture-wise, but design-wise all the rooms were fairly easy to distinguish from one another. The most memorable one for me was in MAP03 I believe, where you teleport into a canyon with spectres. (I should mention you have one hell of a boner for spectres, they were all over the damn place. I've never seen anyone give that monster as much lovin' as you have.) The atmosphere of that room was really well put together, and I especially liked later in the map ending up on the top of that canyon.

I actually kinda liked the music of MAP02-MAP06 myself, but it got really repetitive and didn't really fit the maps very well. I expected a bit more variety in the music, with at least one or two atmospheric tracks. I should also bring up that the HUD for me wasn't a problem like with other people, but when I'd previously loaded up the WAD in ZDoom, it was too dark for me to read properly. It must be related to prBoom's gamma correction being lighter or something. Reading forward on the list of things that you have planned for the future also excites me quite a bit, as I feel the first episode was a near complete success at everything it tried to be. (The only issue I can think of is that the computer map on MAP06 behind the yellow key door could be moved forward a little bit so it can be grabbed more easily.)

I like the fact that you're trying to reach out to the widest possible audience, but ironically, it seems almost nobody has left this demo satisfied. The modern 1995 map approach you went with doesn't seem to be many peoples cup of tea I suppose. Maybe the other maps will turn out better. Oh, and I feel I should mention you should probably either include a MAPINFO that disables ZDoom jumping/crouching, or make some of the lines impassible, because I was able to jump out the windows at the beginning of MAP01.

Last edited by Death Egg on 04-25-13 at 20:06

Old Post 04-25-13 09:21
Death Egg is offline Profile || Click here to Send Death Egg a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Justince

Okay so I've been playing this for the last few days and I have something more to say that's not easy for me but, I think I'm starting to like this. I don't know what's scarier, continually getting lost in these stages or that 40oz might be onto something. I still hate the music, I just put TNT soundtrack over it, but the textures have grown on me as well, like a fungus if you will. I can't really imagine these boards working with any other texture set. So yeah, maybe my initial reaction was just that; a reaction. Maybe UAC 2 just needs time to shine. =)

Old Post 04-25-13 20:09
Justince is offline Profile || Click here to Send Justince a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Urban Space Cowboy

Yet another nitpick: Severe overuse of the ML_DONTDRAW (invisible automap line) flag! It's understandable for areas that can't be reached (e.g., monster holding chambers, purely scenic outdoor areas) and floor/ceiling details that don't obstruct, but then there're several doors, columns, etc. that do obstruct and aren't visible on the maps! This makes maneuvering around through cleared areas more of a chore than it needs to be.

EXAMPLE 1: Map 2 islands in the southern river (linedefs 2199-2208).
EXAMPLE 2: Map 6 columns near entrance, which player can run across to get to a secret area (linedefs 2716, 3562, 6303, 6304, etc.) Yes I know it's a secret, but c'mon, they're RIGHT THERE. Jumping downward onto platforms and being unable to use the map for direction makes this more aggravating than it oughta be.
EXAMPLE 3: Map 6 totally ordinary and obvious door (linedefs 4452, 4509, 6385, 6386, 6391, 6441). This isn't hiding anything. Really, what the hell?

There are lots more examples than these, but the basic idea is: Don't hide lines unless there really is absolutely no reason to look at them! Don't abuse your ML_DONTDRAW privileges, or you might have them taken away from you.

Old Post 04-25-13 20:54
Urban Space Cowboy is offline Profile || Click here to Send Urban Space Cowboy a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Death Egg
Forum Regular

I agree with the third one especially, I used automap a lot while navigating maps and happened to run into a door here and there on MAP06.

Old Post 04-25-13 21:30
Death Egg is offline Profile || Click here to Send Death Egg a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
purist

Just started on this, on MAP02. First impression is I like it. The textures or general art direction don't bother me but obviously repetitiveness won't be a factor 2 maps in. Gameplay is pretty good, too early to make strong judgements though. Layouts are awesome but in MAP01 I actually found a lot of the secrets easier than the way into the exit door behind the crates. The multiple paths mean optional areas don't feel optional as it's hard to tell weather you are going in the right direction and this removes a sense of progress but this will be less of an issue in repeat plays. I was expecting the music to be awful but it's OK. I agree it doesn't fit the levels too well but it's not bad in itself - certainly preferable to some of the trancey midis I've heard that sound more fitting in Japanese RPGs than Doom.

I'm looking forward to getting further into this. Props to 40oz on making something true to his own philosphy that's a bit different to conventially accepted design. And for centering design desisions around replayability.

Old Post 04-25-13 23:06
purist is offline Profile || Click here to Send purist a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Urban Space Cowboy said:
Don't abuse your ML_DONTDRAW privileges, or you might have them taken away from you.

Heh.

Old Post 04-25-13 23:40
Gez is offline Profile || Click here to Send Gez a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Xaser
Forum Staple

Urban Space Cowboy said:
Yet another nitpick: Severe overuse of the ML_DONTDRAW (invisible automap line) flag!

The cases you've cited are most likely unintentional -- 40oz told me via PM once that he does automapping backwards: He starts by hiding the entire map then goes through and selectively shows lines in areas. If something's being hidden and you think it shouldn't, it's likely an oversight.

Old Post 04-26-13 02:25
Xaser is offline Profile || Click here to Send Xaser a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Unholypimpin

40oz said:
(You're expected to know where the secrets are).

That defeats the purpose of secrets then if you need to use them to beat maps. Rule 9 of map making is do not make secrets mandatory to beat the map, that is just bad map balance.

I wont be downloading this wad because the OP just makes it seem like a trollwad.

Old Post 04-26-13 03:29
Unholypimpin is offline Profile || Click here to Send Unholypimpin a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Urban Space Cowboy

Xaser said:
40oz told me via PM once that he does automapping backwards: He starts by hiding the entire map then goes through and selectively shows lines in areas. If something's being hidden and you think it shouldn't, it's likely an oversight.
If this is true, then I hope he realizes it's a silly way to work and not to do it in the future.

All right, here's an actual bug: In map 4's southeast-of-center mazey area full of imps, if you approach normally from the south (via sector 1147 or 1148), you're guaranteed to go over one of two trigger lines (linedefs 6051 and 8750) which lower the walls. HOWEVER, if you use secret alternate routes to approach from the west instead (via sector 911), you can easily head off to the northeastern secret (sectors 1598, 1597, 1599, 1600, 1186) without triggering the walls to lower. Crossing linedef 8764 causes the door into the northeastern secret to slam closed. Now the only way out is to cross linedef 8794 to teleport away...but if you haven't already triggered the walls to lower, you can't cross the linedef, and there's no way to trigger the walls to lower from inside the northeastern secret! If a player's supposed to be able to make a beeline from west to east without lowering the walls, then maybe a linedef inside the northeastern secret should lower them.

Another problem, this one with map 6: There's a southeastern chasm (entrance at sector 235) with narrow walkways zigzagging around and across it. Besides areas accessible via these walkways, if you're clumsy like me and fall into the drink, there're additional areas accessible in the northeast (sector 207) and southeast (sector 205)...but if you fall down in the western part (bounded by sectors 230, 235 and 236) or the part just southeast of the entrance (bounded by sectors 228, 229, 230 and 235) then there's no way out and no way to suicide, unless you've got a rocket launcher. Take pity on us fumble-fingered folks, please.

While I'm poking at map 6 in the editor, that three-stage monster teleporter is pretty cool!

Old Post 04-26-13 05:08
Urban Space Cowboy is offline Profile || Click here to Send Urban Space Cowboy a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Processingcontrol

Alwaysdoomed said:
That defeats the purpose of secrets then if you need to use them to beat maps. Rule 9 of map making is do not make secrets mandatory to beat the map, that is just bad map balance.

I think 40oz meant that you're only expected to know them on UV.

Old Post 04-26-13 05:12
Processingcontrol is offline Profile || Click here to Send Processingcontrol a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
valkiriforce
Forum Regular

Alwaysdoomed said:
Rule 9 of map making is do not make secrets mandatory to beat the map, that is just bad map balance.

lol eternal doom

Old Post 04-26-13 07:55
valkiriforce is offline Profile || Click here to Send valkiriforce a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Spammer

Alwaysdoomed said:

What if they aren't marked as actual secrets?
What are the other rules of map making?

Old Post 04-26-13 09:29
Memfis is offline Profile || Click here to Send Memfis a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DeathevokatioN
Forum Staple

Memfis said:

What if they aren't marked as actual secrets?

Well said.

Old Post 04-26-13 11:58
DeathevokatioN is offline Profile || Click here to Send DeathevokatioN a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Doomkid

Memfis said:

I'd say the only important rule is "it has to run in Doom". I like things that go against convention quite a lot, so some 'rules' have to be broken sometimes.

Old Post 04-26-13 13:57
Da Werecat

The chaingun needs some more work. I mean, really? Also, its flashing pattern is rather seizure-inducing.

Liked the new blood effect.

Old Post 04-26-13 14:08
Da Werecat is online now Profile || Click here to Send Da Werecat a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote