Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Here is a difficult unfinished map you can playtest if you want. No exit yet, just try to kill all monsters. It's for prboom-plus -iwad doom2 -file mdl -complevel 9 -skill 4 -warp 21
I think you need SR50 for one of the jumps.

Download link does not seen to be working properly (I'm downloading it at around 100 bytes/sec) rendering me 22 hours to complete this 11MB download.

This is the part where I post "mdlmdldmd lmdldldmdldmldmdlmdlmdm dmldm d mdlmdlmddml," isn't it?

Actually, I did give this one a run, and it's pretty damned nice, if not asskickingly difficult (though that's the intent, I suppose :P ). I do think the "SR-50 required" jump is a bit urghy, since it's a barrier for the average fellow that doesn't really add anything assuming it's intentional, but that could easily be a "it's an alpha, silly!" moment.

Anyhow, I'm gonna post some screenshots since the current absence of them is still suspiciously uncanny. :P

[QUICK-EDIT] SLADE will autoremove textures for you. Go to Archive->Maintenance->Remove Unknown Textures (and also do the same for patches and flats afterward) and you should be set. So long as you keep a separate copy around before you save if you wish to edit further, of course. :P

fda didn't really know what to do near the cyb so I got hard owned. fun map. nice music. why map 21, sky?

Great FDA, you survived many traps with low HP on the very first attempt. For the cyber part, it helps to make him fight with some revs and, if possible, HKs. Like this. The music is from Arc the Lad II I think but on vgmusic.com it is just called "Unknown" and I couldn't find it on YouTube.
And the slot is 21 because ideally it should be a part of a megawad, but I have only 4 unfinished maps made in 6 months so this is probably not going to happen.

Thanks for the tip about Slade Xaser, I always just clicked "Remove Unknown Textures" and it looked like it didn't do anything so I assumed that this feature was broken or something. As for the SR-50 jump, I start to kind of like these. I can't explain why but I just find them fun to do sometimes so it will probably stay. There are more of them on MAP10. Sure, it's a barrier for many people but for me it adds to the fun and I'm making these maps mainly to satisfy myself, not others.

Here's a link to my FDAs for mdl.wad :
http://www.mediafire.com/?vewxnv30cmber50
( PrBoom 2.5.0 -complevel 9 -skill 4 )

Ok, so it seems I'm not that much of a good dancer.
Your map is indeed very difficult, thanks to clever ( and sadistic ) monster placement.

In my first demo I've tried the red area, and failed miserably near that Cyberdemon. Later on, the blue key part seemed a bit easier, but still tricky.

Very nice traps. :)
The map reminded me of SkePLand somehow.

About that SR50 jump, as I'm totally unable to perform this kind of jump, I can't say I'm a big fan of it. I believe it should be reserved to speedrunning tricks, and not mandatory to complete a map, but hey, as you said, it's your map.

Xaser said:

mdlmdldmd lmdldldmdldmldmdlmdlmdm dmldm d mdlmdlmddml

Obligatory:

Good one Xaser. Couldn't have put it better myself.
--Grouchbag.

Nah Wilou, you're pretty good. :) The red key route is definitely a lot harder, maybe a little too hard as even I die in there more often then I'd like. :) I'll think about rebalancing some things so thank you for the input!

The basics of SR50 are very easy to learn. I'm not good enough to use it in speedruns constantly but if I'm just playing casually (so, not in a rush) and I can stand still and take my time aligning myself properly, then I can easily perform most of the jumps I think. And imo it feels good to do "impossible" things like the exit jumps in E1M4 and E4M3 for example. :)

Gave this a go, definitely fun to play and looks great too. First attempt I died quickly due to an unexpected rocket through a window in the brown corridor. Next one went pretty much like Ribbiks' FDA, even with the pointless elevator ride up from the secret area and getting splattered at the exact same spot.

Lovely traps and I thought the health balance was perfect for my dooming skills. Maybe the aforementioned elevator was a bit annoying since it takes you all the way back but it's only a speedbump at worst. Can't really think of much else to complain :)

Might have to try again to see if I can conquer the cyber and have a look at the SR50 jump.

edit: heh, "registered just to make one post".

Ribbiks said:

a level so good, people are registering on the forums to talk about it :p

Haha, well I actually registered a couple of months ago so I could search the forums but yes, the level was good enough to warrant a first post :)

You can jump from that lift back to where you were while it's still moving, check out the demo I posted.

Memfis said:

You can jump from that lift back to where you were while it's still moving, check out the demo I posted.

Ohh right, missed that possible jump completely. Kinda obvious now that I see it.