Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Capellan

100 lines (final link now active)

Capellan said:

I'm definitely noticing that a lot of the maps tend to be either fragments - just a room or two - or 'puzzles'. Not puzzles in the sense of switch hunts, but situations where the key is finding the right strategy or tactic to resolve the encounter/situation. There aren't a lot of levels using more conventional Doom gameplay and working on ways to fit that into 100 lines.

NoobBait
This map is an example of the above, featuring more than twice as many HP of monsters as you have ammo to deal with. Even infighting will only get you so far, after all. Still, it's totally finishable, provided you aren't looking for 100% kills.

Yes, I'll agree with that. Once you know the map (which given its size doesn't take long) getting 100% kills isn't too bad, but the fact that there's only way one to play it successfully is definitely a weakness. At the same time, I feel like adding 2 more cell packs or so would just trivialize the map. I should have included the disclaimer that I'm not a mapper and I enjoy weird gameplay situations. Here's a 100% kills demo just as a proof of concept: Link.

Capellan said:

Scifista42's Penebase
This was a fun map, showing that you can squeeze a decent amount of content into 100 lines while delivering a map that doesn't look terrible. I think it would be possible to improve the map's looks still further, but it works fine as is. My only gripe would be the cyber battle, which can simply be ignored by running in circles around him until the exit appears.

My map's name is not Penebase :P, but thanks for comments. In fact, as I didn't already say it, thanks a lot to all of you who gave me feedback on my first submission.

Now I would like to let you know I'm working on another, third map (well, second seriously meant), which may become a MAP31 replacement with a secret exit.

However if someone is already working on a secret exit map, let me know and I may make my map "just a normal map with Wolf textures". (I'm not so far to even have an exit)

Only if... Now I would like to ask, if we really will have more than 32 maps approved by their authors for an idgames release, will they be separated into two (or more) equivalent megawads? Or the last ones will just have bad luck and not be released at all, or end in an "auxiliary" wad or wads.

Made another pile of crap out of boredom. I prefer both sky3 and d_romero for this one, so I've put it in 27 slot. But I don't mind moving it in any other e3 slot, my only wish is to keep the music track and the skies. Map specifics in the .zip.
http://filesmelt.com/dl/burrow.zip

As far as I can tell there's enough health and ammo to deal with everyone, but proper management is required, as well as some luck and fast thinking. Or just many tries. Anyway, this map won't be praised for clever linedef usage or creative approach.

Capellan said:

I'm definitely noticing that a lot of the maps tend to be either fragments - just a room or two - or 'puzzles'. Not puzzles in the sense of switch hunts, but situations where the key is finding the right strategy or tactic to resolve the encounter/situation. There aren't a lot of levels using more conventional Doom gameplay and working on ways to fit that into 100 lines.

I think once people began mapping they realized just how many lines one room took up and switched over to this "puzzle" approach to combat... at least it was that way for me. I'd like to make a more traditional level, but I always end up feeling like I could make a more interesting "puzzle" one.

Anyways, added difficulties to Hunter, download here. UV is unchanged. HMP keeps the balance of the three areas primarily the same while granting more leeway and room to move about, and handing out plenty of ammo to negate concern for it. The only thing I dislike is that the absence of the cyber means the bottom area can be easily camped, but keeping him in demands too much from a skill 3 player. HNTR neuters all difficulty by removing the problematic enemies, ensuring a smooth ride for those that already know the map.

And here's text material for whatever the compilation will be. If we're sticking it in a megawad, I'd prefer the latter end of maps (25-29).

Title: Hunter
Author: dobugabumaru
Build Time: 8-10 hours
Skill Settings: Yes
Tested in ZDoom and PrBoom, -complevel2
Music: Medieval Tavern by Aaron Walz
Coop: No
DM: No

EDIT: Maybe you should include in the thread title that people wishing to publish to idgames with the rest of us need to say so.

Katamori said:

Did you like it anyway? Or is it just a "runner-up"? :P

What there was of it was fine, but I prefer the levels that feel complete, like scifista's Port Penbene.

scifista42 said:

Now I would like to let you know I'm working on another, third map (well, second seriously meant), which may become a MAP31 replacement with a secret exit.

However if someone is already working on a secret exit map, let me know and I may make my map "just a normal map with Wolf textures". (I'm not so far to even have an exit)

Only if... Now I would like to ask, if we really will have more than 32 maps approved by their authors for an idgames release, will they be separated into two (or more) equivalent megawads? Or the last ones will just have bad luck and not be released at all, or end in an "auxiliary" wad or wads.

Looking forward to seeing your map31. Even if someone else was working on one, I would say keep going. More maps is a good thing.

What will happen if we get more than 32 maps? I'm not sure. Definitely a good question to ask, though.

One idea that occurs to me is to split the maps into two wads, based on the type of map they are. One wad for puzzle-focused maps like Archi's stuff, and the other for maps that are aiming to provide a more conventional Doom level experience (like mine :) ). That gives us enough room for 64 maps, and will avoid having wildly different map styles interspersed with each other.

dobugabumaru said:

I think once people began mapping they realized just how many lines one room took up and switched over to this "puzzle" approach to combat... at least it was that way for me. I'd like to make a more traditional level, but I always end up feeling like I could make a more interesting "puzzle" one.

EDIT: Maybe you should include in the thread title that people wishing to publish to idgames with the rest of us need to say so.

For me, the challenge of making a complete traditional level in 100 lines is what makes the idea fun :) But it's been interesting to see the different approaches taken.

Good idea on the thread title. Done.

ETA: just tried the revised 'Hunter'. I was able to complete it - after several attempts - on HMP. I think it comes closer to being a 'conventional' Doom level than a lot of the other maps.

Capellan said:

Good idea on the thread title. Done.

Another suggestion: Maybe in the map list in the OP, you can add a * sign to every map which has been already said to be approved for idgames. Some people may think they said it clearly, but for you it might not be clear enough*, and then some displeasing surprises may happen. In addition, it will also help you if you continuously monitor the "approvals", because then you won't need to read the whole thread again before the release.

*I hope I had said clear enough that I wish my first submitted map to be in the idgames release, but my second map not to be there. Just to be sure, I'm making it really clear now.

Maps I know are OK for idgames are now bolded in the OP. If a map isn't bolded, it's because I don't know 100% for sure that you're OK with an idgames release for that map.

Yes, that means they aren't bolded even if I am 99% sure. :)

dobugabumaru said:

I think everyone that posts the text requirements implicitly okays their map for release (like me)

That falls into the "only 99% sure" thing :)

I played your MAP07 Adam.....4 Cyberdemons? That's probably more difficult than a large amount of the maps submitted and probably woudln't be that great as early as MAP07. Just my 10 cents. :-/

What, we actually have to put together that little text file? Eh...

Map name: Demon Abbey
Author: Magnusblitz
Port(s) / compatibility level(s) successfully tested: PRBoom, ZDoom
Difficulty settings: No
Co-op: No
DM: No

New link: http://www.speedyshare.com/Y8Sfb/magnus-100lines.wad

Made some changes that should make it a bit more difficult to run past everything to finish in under 20 seconds (though I think still possible). Its okay for idgames.

Obsidian said:

I played your MAP07 Adam.....4 Cyberdemons? That's probably more difficult than a large amount of the maps submitted and probably woudln't be that great as early as MAP07. Just my 10 cents. :-/

It's only 4 if you're on multiplayer (the last guy is definitely set to multi only).

In the space available, I would think it would be fairly straightforward to deal with 3. (For the record, there's 2 on HMP and only 1 on HNTR.)

If it is a problem, though, I can always replace the 2nd and 3rd ones with a bunch of HKs.

I did find a slight issue with the final caco group, so I fixed that. Latest version here.

Jayextee
A fairly straightforward arena-style map. Not all that difficult, but quite good fun. I killed the cyber the long way, rather than by telefrag.

Plut

ChaingunnerX
Ironically, it was probably a chaingunner who did the most damage to me in this map. This is a fun romp, if slightly goofy thanks to the Keen dolls it uses for progression if one point. Said chaingunner took quite a dislike to one of the dolls at one point. Or so it seemed from all the times he hit it. He was probably trying to target me :)

Membrain
A fun to play map, though rather ugly on the whole. The caco in the ending room is a bit of a pointless monster, but that's hardly a terrible flaw.

Mikle
Fun though low-key level. Monsters tend to turn up in front of you all the time, in quite manageable numbers, which makes it pretty straightforward. Multi-stage lift is not something I generally like, but this wasn't too egregious at all.

st.alfonzo
This was a fun map, with good re-use of lines to create extra space while staying within the 100 limit.

scifista's Goatherd
Well, it's not an idgames submission, in any case :)

I guess mine is suitable for idgames. I got the readme stuff included as well.

Also when you plan on uploading this to idgames? I am considering doing one more map.

Obsidian's actually putting the compiled file together, but I figure we should wait until at least the end of the month before releasing that.

Fiend
Another smallish base level. The razot thin wall behind the red key door looks a bit weird. A linedef could have been cut elsewhere to make that look a little better (linedef 99 is my candidate, though there are a couple of other options).

Archi's 4th
A gimmick-driven map, as expected for Archi. This one is an IoS map, where the key is to survive until you can set off a barrel chain that kills Romero's head.

My third and final offering for this project, just short and fast bfg-spamfest. It's funny how I still prefer rectangular shapes over triangular ones, though with maps like these I feel myself comfortable within given constraints. Map specifics in the .zip.
http://filesmelt.com/dl/throne.zip

For clarification purposes: feel free to include all three of my maps in an /idgames release, though I clearly see that most players will hate them, Capellan included. Sorry Adam, it's just the nature of my game.
Then again: if difficulty settings are mandatory - let me know and I'll figure something out.

I tweaked the map I made bringing the linedef total to 88; it's mostly visual with an extra weapon added for the lower difficulties. Feel free to add it to the list of usable maps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mo2n0be4qodczre/jp100a.wad

Title: "The Broken Gate"
Author: Joe Pallai
Vanilla compatible, tested in chocolate doom
Difficulty Settings: yes
Co-op/DM: No

Difficulty settings are definitely much preferred, by me at least :)

ETA: yeah, Demonologists other 2 maps are no more to my taste than the 1st one was, though hopefully others will like them.

Changed my mind, please don't include my map in the /idgames compilation.

Okay, added difficulty settings and fixed some minor glitches. Also set sky transfers on Burrow and Hyperborean and included custom music to the latter (it's currently on a map01 slot, not 27), so now you may put any map of mine into whatever slot you desire without, ahem, ruining my vision. Also adde coop starts, though I think that my maps are too small for several players. Ah, whatever. Links to updated versions:
http://filesmelt.com/dl/hyperborean-v2.zip
http://filesmelt.com/dl/burrow-v2.zip
http://filesmelt.com/dl/throne-v2.zip

About lower skill settings: ammo & health remain untouched, but the lower the setting you choose - the more problematic monsters will be gone or replaced, as well as overall monster count reduced. HMP provides more reasonable challenge for those who found UV to be insane, and HNTR is aimed at those who prefers more casual playthrough, with much more room to dodge and additional routes to navigate. Black Throne still can be rather demanding even on HNTR, but you always have UV to compare. Believe me - it's much more user-friendly on lower settings, even if it doesn't look like this in a first place.

@ Capellan: you listed my 1st map twice. Also Archi approved his 3rd map for the release, yet he's too much of a lazy fuck to write map specs.