Weird impy thing
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > Lego soldier enemy test

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 17:04. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
NerdKoopa

This is a fully functional Lego soldier enemy for ZDoom! I made this as DECORATE practice and as a test for a possible Lego themed TC. Holy crap the sprites were time consuming! First I had to make each pose as a separate model in LeoCAD (a 3D Lego modeler), then I had to render them in LDView, take all the pictures, resize them in Pain.net, and finally convert to Doom format in SLADE3. I have a whole new level of respect for enemy sprite makers.
The Lego soldier itself works like the standard zombie man, but it's slightly faster, has 50 health and uses Wolfenstein SS sounds. I really don't know how it's actually supposed to sound. I'm used to seeing mute Lego characters in games.
EDIT: Update! The soldier now gibs properly! It sends five pieces flying in random directions when killed with a rocket launcher.

Link to the test WAD here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/v...6/LegoTest5.zip
If the legs of the soldier seem to be "flashing", it's because I had specular lighting on when I rendered the frames. There's a rocket launcher in the test level, just to the right of the player spawn.

http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/3664/cnk.png

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3035/y3b.png

Last edited by NerdKoopa on 06-23-13 at 16:37

Old Post 06-22-13 10:50 #
NerdKoopa is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
mouldy

haha thats cool. The leg flashing is a bit jarring and I'd have done the death differently myself, but nicely done all the same.

Old Post 06-22-13 12:09 #
mouldy is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
NerdKoopa

Which death are you talking about? The regular death or gibbed death?

Old Post 06-22-13 13:48 #
NerdKoopa is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
mouldy

the gibbed death. It looks a bit too neat and symetrical for something thats been blown to pieces, but thats just my opinion.

Old Post 06-22-13 17:22 #
mouldy is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
NerdKoopa

Well, it's difficult to pose models in LeoCAD, since it wasn't actually meant for animating.

Old Post 06-22-13 20:05 #
Obsidian
Forum Staple

Make a LEGO Imp. Please.

Old Post 06-23-13 01:07 #
Obsidian is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ralphis
IDL Founder

Although I can't test it right now, if you're making this for ZDoom exclusively, maybe you should use decorate and have his separate parts explode all over the room for a gib?

Old Post 06-23-13 02:12 #
Ralphis is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
NerdKoopa

That's what I've been thinking too, but I don't know enough DECORATE or ACS yet to be able to make that. Gotta find some tutorials and examples. EDIT: Oops! I just noticed that I wrote SLAB3 instead of SLADE3 in the first post. Had to fix that.

Old Post 06-23-13 08:53 #
NerdKoopa

Update! The soldier now gibs properly! Check the first post.

Old Post 06-23-13 16:38 #
mouldy

wehay! Very clever

Old Post 06-23-13 18:41 #