Doom Marine
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > Doomworld Mega Project 2013 - 54 maps - /idgames link
Pages (23): « First ... « 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 » ... Last »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 17:37. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TimeOfDeath
Forum Regular

Suitepee said:
So I'm a little confused. Is this project finished and I have to download 3 wads of different compatibility types, or is there one big file that contains all the maps being complied together? Or are people still making adjustments to their maps and the final version isn't out yet?

I'll wait a bit before uploading to /idgames, in case people find bugs, etc.

The final version will be 3 separate wads in one zip file.

Old Post 01-12-14 13:54 #
TimeOfDeath is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Suitepee

TimeOfDeath said:

I'll wait a bit before uploading to /idgames, in case people find bugs, etc.

The final version will be 3 separate wads in one zip file.

Ah, cheers for clearing that up!

Old Post 01-12-14 17:00 #
Suitepee is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
obake

Something I think needs to be brought up.

@Ijon Tichy:Your map is cool and all, and I don't ask that you change the concept. However, you should add an exit switch, because once the player gets to your map, they have no way of getting out of it except other than quitting the game. The NextMap console command doesn't work, either.

An exit switch would make one-time playthroughs and livestreams more feasible, while still allowing players who want to continue getting a higher score and surviving on your map to do so.

Other than that, your map, Futility, is very nice looking and quite a challenge.

Old Post 01-12-14 18:12 #
obake is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ijon Tichy
Warming Up

obake said:
Something I think needs to be brought up.

@Ijon Tichy:Your map is cool and all, and I don't ask that you change the concept. However, you should add an exit switch, because once the player gets to your map, they have no way of getting out of it except other than quitting the game. The NextMap console command doesn't work, either.

http://ijontichy.lostsig.com/wads/futility_v24.wad

well that was easy

edit: I have no clue why nextmap doesn't work; my MAPINFO doesn't define a next map in it

maybe I should actually look at the compilation

edit2: yeah, ToD forgot to add "next map13" to my MAPINFO thing

edit3: did some UI tweaks, redownload if you like being able to read which weapon you just got

Last edited by Ijon Tichy on 01-12-14 at 19:57

Old Post 01-12-14 19:33 #
Ijon Tichy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Obsidian
Forum Staple

Map namezz! Make sure MAPINFO uses them as well.

Old Post 01-12-14 22:26 #
Obsidian is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
obake

Ijon Tichy said:

http://ijontichy.lostsig.com/wads/futility_v24.wad

well that was easy

edit: I have no clue why nextmap doesn't work; my MAPINFO doesn't define a next map in it

maybe I should actually look at the compilation

edit2: yeah, ToD forgot to add "next map13" to my MAPINFO thing

edit3: did some UI tweaks, redownload if you like being able to read which weapon you just got

Thanks for your response. I honestly really like your map. It has a distinct gameplay style to it that I never experienced in Doom before.

There is one more major bug fix, this time for Jazzmaster9's "A Room with A View": The map seems to be unbeatable without noclip or fly, because the player cannot get to the door leading to the room with the red key (the ledge is too far away, and the player is not allowed to jump), nor do I see any way they could access the blue door. Otherwise, this looks like a nice level, with good monster placement and neat looking rooms.

Old Post 01-13-14 17:04 #
obake is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
scifista42

obake said:
There is one more major bug fix, this time for Jazzmaster9's "A Room with A View": The map seems to be unbeatable without noclip or fly, because the player cannot get to the door leading to the room with the red key (the ledge is too far away, and the player is not allowed to jump), nor do I see any way they could access the blue door. Otherwise, this looks like a nice level, with good monster placement and neat looking rooms.
The level is beatable, I just did it. The switch textures are actually lifts. Jazzmaster9 likes to make lifts out of all kinds of metal textures, and sometimes they're hard to recognize.

The level is linear and very simple in both visuals and gameplay. Author can use 3D floors, but better would be if he was focusing on various kinds of more interesting and eye-pleasing visual presentation and level structure. But nothing really bad about it, Jazzmaster9 avoided the plain uglyness seen so often. Progression makes sense and is intuitive enough to be easily managable, and player doesn't have problems with bumping into things.

Old Post 01-13-14 17:40 #
scifista42 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Eradrop
Warming Up

Thank you obake for the information you gave me.
I will watch about what you said and try to fix it.

It's still possible to fix my map and upload again?

Old Post 01-13-14 20:20 #
Eradrop is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fellowzdoomer
Banned

Obsidian said:
You want someone to rustle up some map name graphics for the vanilla and Boom wads?

I can *try* to do them.

Old Post 01-13-14 20:25 #
Fellowzdoomer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TimeOfDeath
Forum Regular

Fellowzdoomer, Obsidian already did them (thanks!).

Eradrop, sure you can post a new version of your map.

Old Post 01-13-14 20:41 #
TimeOfDeath is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Scypek2

There's a bug in my Ode to Everything map that makes the floor in the baron niche in the second Entryway raise with HOM. I don't have time to look at it right now, so maybe it'd be faster to just fix it in the compilation.

Old Post 01-13-14 22:25 #
Scypek2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
jazzmaster9

scifista42 said:
The level is beatable, I just did it. The switch textures are actually lifts. Jazzmaster9 likes to make lifts out of all kinds of metal textures, and sometimes they're hard to recognize.

The level is linear and very simple in both visuals and gameplay. Author can use 3D floors, but better would be if he was focusing on various kinds of more interesting and eye-pleasing visual presentation and level structure. But nothing really bad about it, Jazzmaster9 avoided the plain uglyness seen so often. Progression makes sense and is intuitive enough to be easily managable, and player doesn't have problems with bumping into things.

Yeah someone pointed that out as well that I make lifts unrecognizable, i'll avoid that as much as possible in my future maps.

Old Post 01-14-14 04:01 #
jazzmaster9 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
obake

A short list of my impressions on the zdoom/udmf portion of this project:

Best map: Water Control by The_Trigger

Really good maps: Incarnate by Netherstorm
Ode to Everything by Scypek2
NUKAGE PROCESSING by ShadesMaster
SUBBSE by mrthejoshmon

Honorable mentions: Go to Hell by Baratus
Language Barrier by Kate Stone
Futility by Ijon Tichy

Worst maps: Twilight of the Gods and Dripping Oven Oil from Your Third Arm, by Ed and ClonedPickle, respectively.

Old Post 01-16-14 17:17 #
walter confalonieri

oh well, my map looks to be not even worth to be mentioned....

Old Post 01-16-14 17:58 #
walter confalonieri is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TimeOfDeath
Forum Regular

Mine too :)

Old Post 01-16-14 18:29 #
ClonedPickle

obake said:
Best maps: Twilight of the Gods and Dripping Oven Oil from Your Third Arm, by Ed and ClonedPickle, respectively.

Wow! Thanks man!

Old Post 01-16-14 19:36 #
ClonedPickle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fellowzdoomer
Banned

Well houstin is it time for lift off?

Old Post 01-16-14 22:27 #
Fellowzdoomer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ijon Tichy
Warming Up

obake said:
Honorable mentions: Futility by Ijon Tichy

not bad for a little piece of shit I banged out for no reason

Old Post 01-16-14 23:10 #
Ijon Tichy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fellowzdoomer
Banned

As usual the threads will end with a,person saying theyll upload gameplays on youtube...

*starting...*

Old Post 01-17-14 12:01 #
Suitepee

Fellowzdoomer said:
As usual the threads will end with a,person saying theyll upload gameplays on youtube...

*starting...*

I'm only going to play this on my twitch channel, not Youtube. (saving that for Switcharoom) So ha!

Old Post 01-17-14 13:41 #
Suitepee is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The_Trigger
Mini-Member

obake said:
A short list of my impressions on the zdoom/udmf portion of this project:

Best map: Water Control by The_Trigger

I don't know what to say? Thank you :)
Glad you enjoyed it.

Suitepee said:

I'm only going to play this on my twitch channel, not Youtube. (saving that for Switcharoom) So ha!

I can't wait to see your livestream coverage of this suitepee ;)

Considering the final version will be separated in 3 wads, do you have any idea which one you will play first? (Vanilla, Boom or Zdoom/Udmf?).

Old Post 01-17-14 17:42 #
The_Trigger is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Phendrena

Suitepee said:

A shame, i much prefer the tube over the twitch as its more accessible for rewatching stuff (imo).

Dave

Old Post 01-17-14 17:49 #
Phendrena is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ijon Tichy
Warming Up

Suitepee said:

I'm only going to play this on my twitch channel, not Youtube.

you said it, now you have to tell us when

Old Post 01-17-14 17:55 #
mrthejoshmon

obake said:
...Really good maps: Incarnate by Netherstorm
Ode to Everything by Scypek2
NUKAGE PROCESSING by ShadesMaster
SUBBSE by mrthejoshmon...

I am honored, thank you.

Old Post 01-17-14 17:57 #
mrthejoshmon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fellowzdoomer
Banned

Suitepee said:

"We shall see... about that."
-G-Man, Half Life 2 Episode 1

Old Post 01-17-14 20:06 #
Fellowzdoomer
Banned

Fellowzdoomer said:

*starting...*

Warning though. My sound will desync because I don't know of any android screen recorders that sync the sound... >:-(

Old Post 01-17-14 20:08 #
obake

I played the vanilla/limit-removing levels of the project. Here are the maps I believe stand as the best of this particular portion:

5 Fernito Ferno (vanilla)
6 Matt534Dog The Last Stand (vanilla)
10 Alfonzo Postmodern Hydraulics (vanilla)
17 Obsidian None So Vile (vanilla)

My favorite of these is Matt534Dog's "The Last Stand", which is a cool techbase that feels very much like a Doom 1 map, but updated heavily. This is praise, not criticism, by the way. I love the layout of this map and the mix of secrets. It's super fun to explore.

Alfonzo's "Postmodern Hydraulics" and Ferno's "Fernito" are also quite good, although they still aren't as memorable as "The Last Stand".

Obsidian's "None So Vile" is one of the eeriest, most unique maps I have played for Doom. It seems like a dungeon from The Legend of Zelda. There are so many puzzles and mysteries to figure out, yet they go far beyond simply hitting switches. There is one switch puzzle, but it is one of the easier ones to solve. The level is also reminiscient of Plutonia's "Hunted."

Overall, how do these compare to my favorites of the zdoom/udmf levels? I personally like the zdoom levels more.

Old Post 01-18-14 14:56 #
ChronoSerge
Banned

ClonedPickle said:

Wow! Thanks man!

You DO realize that he said worst and not best, right?

Also, the thread for dmp2014 is up, guys

Old Post 01-18-14 15:13 #
ChronoSerge is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The_Trigger
Mini-Member

ChronoSerge said:

You DO realize that he said worst and not best, right?

Also, the thread for dmp2014 is up, guys

I think he got the point :)
He was just joking.

Old Post 01-18-14 15:37 #
The_Trigger is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Joe667

I'm interested in this project. I'd like to know some things: Which map slots are still open, if any?
And also, do you have to use a lump editor and rename the levels yourself or is it done for you? Because I've been having trouble with XWE/Slade etc.

Old Post 01-18-14 19:18 #
Joe667 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote