Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cannonball

Thy flesh turned into a draft-excluder (ep4 replacement) - On IDgames

Some shots from E4M4, the latest map I'm working on, E4M3 is on hiatus until I think of a good gameplay idea to work in a giant sp_rock ravine

About 50-60% complete, it's a reverse hell-tech theme where techbase detail and artifacts has infiltrated a marble core and a random lime jelly accident.

More progress
Just about finished e4m4 which I guess visually has a Jade earth(esque) look with the green and tech mix. Just need to add difficulty settings.
Part 2 of 2 of this secret hellbase consists probably a more controversial texture mixing of tech and hell, well I think it is but hey some might like the looks of it.
E4M5 (life support). This map pretty much contains a load of monster incubators where they appear to be artificially creating new hellspawn, and some big ones at that.

This map is about 60% done.

Obligatory post to say I haven't given up :P
Just progress is rather slow at the moment. Will probably crawl along until Christmas, but should be able to speed up over the festive period so hopefully this should be released in the first quarter of next year.
Some shots from maps in progress

E4M3 - Ravine of the damned

E4M6 - Temple of the forbidden Gods

I like the look of this. It's nice to see a tribute to an oft-neglected episode of the Doom (at least by me, heh.) You've got the style down well. Looking forward to playing this one.

So I think it's time (wad completion around 70%) to see if anyone is interesting in doing some playtesting whilst I finish the other maps and before a public beta is released.
E4M8 finished - One more pic to add to those I put on the doom picture thread

Also E4M3 and E4M9 are also in progress

E4M3

E4M9

If anyone is interested then feel free to post here or send a pm. I do need a kick up the backside to finish this :P
By the way, no worries Steve, there is a lot of pain coming in this wad.

I can't believe that i missed this gem till now. Regarding some playtesting, i could lend a hand in case you agree.

I'll check this out once it's done, how is it coming so far?

PMs sent to all those I believe are interesting in dying loads (I mean playtesting this). Hopefully this wad should be done by late April or May. The 2 maps in development won't take more than a week each and E4M7 should is planned to not be too big in size so hopefully that won't take long to build.

So here is the beta for this
http://www.mediafire.com/download/k4y77p4p818yp5u/draftexbeta.zip

Enjoy and please report any catastrophic bugs if you find them.
Difficulty settings have been implemented. Co-op starts have been added but that is it. If anyone would like me to attempt to deploy some co-op only monsters and extra supplies then feel free to ask.

Special thanks to Steve D, Larzuk and Tourniquet for playtesting this.

Hopefully there shouldn't be too much to do before this goes to IDgames.

And yes E4M9 was the scrapped map from UDINO which has been beefed up a little. Which replaces the original map for that slot which I scrapped. Hence the name :P

I would post demos but my attempts to survive were embarrassing as lost souls penetrated me left, right and center.

I like the blood ocean effect though, that is nice.

The first map was a great experience for me. Intense action begins immediately, yet it's in fact not difficult at all, just to keep moving. There are nice clean visuals and balanced enemy placement. I appreciate that the map is not too much dark and dim, like "modern cannonball" maps tend to be (and also cruel). I need nothing more to be impressed. I'll definitely continue playing this later. :)

scifista42 said:

The first map was a great experience for me. Intense action begins immediately, yet it's in fact not difficult at all, just to keep moving. There are nice clean visuals and balanced enemy placement. I appreciate that the map is not too much dark and dim, like "modern cannonball" maps tend to be (and also cruel). I need nothing more to be impressed. I'll definitely continue playing this later. :)

Cool, well I'm glad you enjoyed the first map, hope you feel the same about the rest of them.

Cool man, been playing through these. Excellent stuff so far, really has that old doom feeling of getting lost with monsters around every corner. I just had to stop at e4m6 though and comment on the music, little bit chirpy for a foreboding hell-temple..

Will you be adding this to concern.wad as a single package?

E4M1 was quite a weird trip. It'll frustrate players instantly because there's a baron right in front and the player has to run around like a headless chicken until he/she finds the berserk pack to deal with the mobs. It would be nice if the player was greeted with a shotgun+shellbox or something to at least deal with the zombies. I never found the rocket launcher secret so I'll have to check it out via Doom Builder.

Upon loading up E4M2, it was a much easier start even with the Cyberdemon firing rockets from his platform.

Oh, and it's perfectly possible to run jump over this gap (and get stuck!) before raising the middle platform.

http://imgur.com/2tPmdig

edit: Just figured out that in E4M1 there's a box of shells in the beginning in HMP but not in UV. heh.

BlackFish said:

Oh, and it's perfectly possible to run jump over this gap (and get stuck!) before raising the middle platform.

http://imgur.com/2tPmdig

I noticed this too, but there's an elevator on the far side of the room that has a teleporter behind it that takes you to the other side. Not super obvious, though.

E4M2 looks really great, but I can't get very far. Keep getting turned into tomato paste by that friendly Cyberdemon.

paymentplan said:

E4M2 looks really great, but I can't get very far. Keep getting turned into tomato paste by that friendly Cyberdemon.

There's a secret passage to bypass the cybie, should be a bit more comfortable to play this way.

In addition 2 not very nifty maxes for 4-1 & 4-2.

E4M2 - The Cyberdemon was a good challenge-bringer, even better executed than the one in Egregor's MAP11 of D2INO (that map is an atmospheric masterpiece, though). Good fights, never get boring. Enjoyable searching for secrets.

E4M9 - Ahahaha, I know the map. It's a good one. Now it puts less pressure at the beginning than the last version I've seen. Enjoyable gameplay (a little hectic, but in a pretty good way) and well-made structure, as always.

EDIT: Also:

mouldy said:

Will you be adding this to concern.wad as a single package?

I second the idea that you should add it, and get a Cacoward for the whole thing. ;)

I think I leave leave this separate, people can make their own minds up. The storyline from Concerned meant I could make up an bullshit I like for episode 4 anyway :P

I might change the music for E4M6, also might make E4M1 a little fairer, well for HNTR and HMP anyway. I might also make the teleporter/lift a little more obvious for E4M1 too.

I have figured out that I was actually being utterly destroyed by the BLOCKMAP bug, after testing it out in a more modern port I actually really enjoyed it and was able to actually survive the first map.

E4M1:
Feels like I am taking over a demon keep.

The map looks exceptionally beautiful (In that old Doom kind of way, you know that half 90's half modern look?) and plays fairly well (When BLOCKMAP is not kicking your ass that is). The difficulty of the first map comes from its open layout which allows flying enemies to swarm you unless you keep moving and keep killing. The one gripe I had with this map is the bridge to the exit being a kind of lame trap (that I actually ended up going straight past the first time).

E4M2:
Infiltrating a demonic dock with a Cyberdemon guarding it.

The start area is brilliant, absolutely brilliant! The Cyberdemon's placement kept things interesting and made the fights a whole lot of fun whilst he was still alive, the later parts actually felt a little bit boring compared to the start area.

Gonna play through it some more soon, perhaps try a demo if I feel man enough.

This is some really good shit right here, really enjoyed playing these. Here are some FDAs I recorded, for E4M1 to E4M6 and E4M9: https://www.mediafire.com/?lsgqmculpi3gync

There's also a failed attempt for M7 where I die in the rather douchbaggey YSK trap and don't start over. I'd prefer you putting the radsuit in that room instead if you're gonna lock the player in. Only briefly played M8 but didn't really get anywhere. The music is fucking great though, been one of my favourites since I heard it in Epic & Epic 2. I did manage to get stuck in sector 259 as I "rode" the lowering wall over the smaller wall though. It's hard to survive the Caco hordes down there but technically it's possible so you could just make the lava damaging and kill those players too curious for their own good.

And yeah, E4M9's name is amazing.

E4M3 - A Heretic-style level done right. Very natural looking, exploration based map, which manages to be a lot of fun despite slaying so many cacos. I really like the environment and texture combinations there.

Exit door looks bugged in Zandronum. The very same error appears at the beginning of E4M4 as well.