Spider Mastermind
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > Archive upload process changes
Pages (2): « 1 [2]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 06:32. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Jimmy
doesn't rhyme with MIDI :(

Hey Ty, any idea what's up with the Plutonia MIDI Pack? I uploaded it and responded to your e-mail, but I don't see it with the new additions to the archive. Was it rejected?

Jimmy's Blog of Death - I make terrible posts here.

Old Post 10-08-13 15:47 #
Jimmy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TimeOfDeath
Forum Regular

Jimmy, it looks like it's on ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/pc/games/idgames/newstuff/, but just hasn't made it on the front page yet.

Old Post 10-08-13 16:02 #
TimeOfDeath is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
j4rio
Forum Staple

Dragonsbrethren said:

Yeah, because preventing wads from being overwritten and stopping impersonators isn't important.

It doesn't really make it much less of an anarchistic atrocity.

Old Post 10-08-13 16:47 #
j4rio is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Pirx
Forum Regular

thanks a lot ty for your dedication in maintaining idgames which is a central hub for the doom community.

now for idiots overwriting other people's files... is that some kind of new shit now as every dumb kid has internet access? because i don't remember reading this earlier.

Old Post 10-08-13 21:43 #
Pirx is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dragonsbrethren
Forum Staple

j4rio said:

It doesn't really make it much less of an anarchistic atrocity.

Are you talking about idiotic wads or idiotic comments on the frontend? The latter is entirely Doomworld's domain. What do you propose for the former? Any sort of quality control implementation is just asking for drama, anyone should be able to see that.

Ty, echoing everyone else's positive sentiments. Most of us appreciate the work you do maintaining the archive. I don't even want to think of how splintered the Doom community would be without it, how many wads would be lost.

Old Post 10-09-13 00:03 #
Dragonsbrethren is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Legend

I don't think refusing to accept these wads will cause that much drama, if any.

Old Post 10-09-13 00:12 #
Memfis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Springy

Just popping by too say thank you for doing a grand job over the years and answering queries I have had for the past month Ty!

Old Post 10-09-13 00:36 #
Springy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
j4rio
Forum Staple

Dragonsbrethren said:

Any sort of quality control implementation is just asking for drama, anyone should be able to see that.

Okay, bring on the drama then. It's little price to pay for preventing idgames from becoming cesspool.

Old Post 10-09-13 00:44 #
j4rio is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

As Ty said some 30 posts back - "I've never used quality as a criterion for allowing something into the archive". Which is just as well, we might otherwise have lost most of 94/95 to the digital dumpster and substantial chunks from all subsequent years. I'd say the current wad trolling epidemic has more to do with the database than the archive, while restricting access to the voting system would be a draconian step to take it's possibly the best way to manage the situation. After all, it isn't just their own work they're rating.

Old Post 10-09-13 01:43 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Snakes
Forum Staple

Ty's a cool dude whose title says pretty much everything we need to know about him. /idgames is what it is and there's no solution to satisfy everyone. Members-only voting seems to the closest thing to reasonable, but then, that'd exclude a lot of members of Doom-related forums who are reluctant to join over here on DW. That's not necessarily a good thing. Frankly, I don't think there is a good way to go about this. Just let it be and discount the trolls. It's not that hard.

Old Post 10-09-13 02:28 #
Snakes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
pcorf

Looks like its really getting out of hand now. Tons of spam has been posted in there.

Please disable this system.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=17362

Old Post 10-09-13 03:31 #
pcorf is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Snakes
Forum Staple

Wait - you mean if you actively pay attention to it gets worse?! My god!

Old Post 10-09-13 03:34 #
Snakes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
pcorf

Snakes said:
Wait - you mean if you actively pay attention to it gets worse?! My god!

Not just mine but others. Many spammers out there.

Old Post 10-09-13 03:35 #
pcorf is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost

Snakes said:
Members-only voting seems to the closest thing to reasonable, but then, that'd exclude a lot of members of Doom-related forums who are reluctant to join over here on DW. That's not necessarily a good thing.
I wouldn't expect them to get acquainted with the forum's pond life, just give Doomworld's management a bit more control over submissions to the voting system.

I suppose an alternative solution of sorts would be to filter the ratings so logged-in members don't see anonymous votes or comments posted since the cookie system was introduced. That might result in fewer complaints and reports of review abuse, which isn't necessarily a good thing since it's not addressing the core problem, just masking one of the symptoms. I've no idea what additional load that would place on the server.

Old Post 10-09-13 06:03 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
j4rio
Forum Staple

As Ty said some 30 posts back - "I've never used quality as a criterion for allowing something into the archive.

Archive and idgames aren't the same thing, right? You could keep everything as it has been kept for years on archive and take measures on idgames, or...?

/idgames is what it is and there's no solution to satisfy everyone.

I believe that just nobody bothered to think of anything, and even if somebody did, nobody would be bothered to implement it.

Wait - you mean if you actively pay attention to it gets worse?!

Problems don't disappear if you ignore them. Pcorf is really stretching it astronomically, though.

Bloodshedder said:
And this is exactly the kind of attention he wants.

How are you so sure of that? What makes you think attention is the prime goal for shitting up archive? Do you honestly think it will stop by preventing people here from talking about it, instead of actually doing something about the archive/idgames? This is utter bullshit.

Last edited by j4rio on 10-09-13 at 10:31

Old Post 10-09-13 10:05 #
GreyGhost

j4rio said:
Archive and idgames aren't the same thing, right? You could keep everything as it has been kept for years on archive and take measures on idgames, or...?
I suppose if we're going to be pedantic about this, /idgames (and its mirrors) is the archive repository, though many people appear to have fallen into the habit of referring to Doomworld's database as "/idgames" despite it being a separate entity. I personally prefer to refer to them as the "archive" and the "database" in order to avoid confusion.

You could keep everything as it has been kept for years on archive and take measures on idgames, or...?
...form a lynch mob? Barring a seismic shift in Ty's assessment criteria, minimising the wad trolls impact on the database is our best bet.

Old Post 10-09-13 12:39 #
Ty Halderman
Essential Pillar of the Community

Hi all,

Matthewdoomer ran a successful test to whitelist my verification emails in Gmail, and as Gmail is the "worst offender" at thinking I'm an evil emailer, I wanted to share the steps with the rest of you in case it helps.

1. Log onto your account in Gmail
  2. At the top you have a search bar. Click the (nearly invisible) down arrow by the blue magnifying glass.
  3. Be sure the Search box says All Mail or Spam (click to select a folder)
  4. In the From field, type @abydos.com or thldrmn@abydos.com
  5. Down in the lower right, click the link Create filter with this search >>
  6. Check the box [x] Never send it to Spam
    (can also apply a label, mark important, etc. if you want)
  7. Optionally click the "Also apply filter..." checkbox if available to apply to existing messages
  8. Click the blue Create filter button

Hope this helps a few folks.

BTW several recent uploaders have taken to emailing me right when they upload; that helps expedite the process considerably so thanks to those. And I'm not sure if I mentioned it anywhere but when I do get a verification and move files into the archive, I touch them to make their timestamp current to allow the most time in Newstuff even if it's been several days since the upload.

Old Post 11-02-13 14:00 #
Ty Halderman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dragonsbrethren
Forum Staple

I actually had to follow those Gmail steps for my own Gmail account a year or two back because our forum's mailer over at Slick Productions sends things using my email address, and anything forum-related started ending up in my spam. I usually appreciate Gmail's spam filter, but it can definitely be overzealous when it comes to automated messages. Doubly so when those messages are coming from my account.

Anyway, set up the filter but I'll continue mailing you when I upload something. Thanks for the timestamp stuff (you touch our wads?!) too!

Old Post 11-02-13 21:42 #
Dragonsbrethren is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
sector666

Ty Halderman said:
And if anyone chooses to pre-empt all this by emailing me ahead of the upload that they're going to do so, that simplifies it more.
It might be a bit late now but I'd put that in the email you send so more people know it.

There is one thing that's always confused me about the archive ever since I found it was allowed. As far as I'm aware maps that clear cut don't even have an exit are accepted (I'm not talking about boss death exits of course). I know quality control isn't a part of the archive, but I don't know what the point is of allowing something which doesn't have an exit.

Could someone enlighten me?

Edit: And I'd like to say thank you to Ty for all the countless time that's been spent and will continue to be spent on the archive. Dedication like yours is a rare thing indeed.

Last edited by sector666 on 11-03-13 at 16:33

Old Post 11-03-13 16:27 #
sector666 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
plums

Not doing any quality control is not just a matter of principle. Checking to make sure levels have an exit would be a huge time commitment increase. Even with automated tools that could check for exit linedefs, there are all sorts of false-positive situations that could happen and so the rejects would need some kind of manual checking.

And to what end? The point of the archives is not to curate, but, well, to act as an archive.

Old Post 11-03-13 17:43 #
plums is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ty Halderman
Essential Pillar of the Community

sector666 said:
It might be a bit late now but I'd put that in the email you send so more people know it.

It's in the one that goes out now, just wasn't in the original quoted above.

To wit, this now also appears in the email:

**New: If you want to shortcut the process a bit, jut email me when you upload instead of waiting for me to send the verification email. Tell me what you've uploaded and given no other issues I'll merge it at the earliest opportunity.

Others can respond to your request for the library to screen all the books to be sure the plot ends to your liking, if you get my drift. This is an archive and if you upload crap, crap ends up in the archive. The only discriminating rules disallowing some things are outlined in the README.INCOMING file and are legality-based.

Old Post 11-03-13 17:54 #
Ty Halderman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
rsl
Mini-Member

Just noticed this thread by chance! Yet I'm glad I read about the new system.
Thanks for putting up with your patience to manage the archive, Mr. Halderman!

There are some folks who upload frequently enough that I "know" them and won't go through all this every time (think rslxxxxx.zips in combos)

Whoops. I probably exaggerated a bit... :-) Another good reason to state again what I just wrote above!

Old Post 11-09-13 23:45 #
rsl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
ellmo
Custom Title

Xaser said:
I wonder if any folks would be willing to consider the idea of developing some sort of upload frontend for DW /idgames that's tied to forum accounts (similar to how t/nc does it) which folks can use as an alternative.

Hmmm. I'm willing. I'll look into it.
What the hell is t/nc ?

Old Post 12-12-13 10:04 #
ellmo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez

t/nc = "The /newstuff Chronicles"

The review center is tied to the forum account.

Old Post 12-12-13 10:12 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
ellmo
Custom Title

Gez said:
t/nc = "The /newstuff Chronicles"

The review center is tied to the forum account.

D'oh, I knew that! I swear!

Old Post 12-12-13 12:05 #
ellmo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote