Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Seele00TextOnly

Incompletable Maps Project

Alwaysdoomed said:

Will there be any rules to this project, like no rooms filled with nothing but cyberdemons with only a pistol to fight them?

While there won't be strict QC going on (I think..) I do want to reserve some right to make slight fixes as director for the final project (alignment fixes, etc). There doesn't seem like there would be any problem with what you're suggesting. Go for it!

Cannonball: I'm not sure, I'm trying to give this one a lot of thought. On the one hand it's still just a one-room affair gimmick thing and thus doesn't really feel like an interesting map to me, but on the other hand it is a puzzle and reasonably completeable without having to go into a map editor to find out how to do it. Which is what I'd like for us to stick with in these, being incompleteable without cheating yet intuitive enough that it doesn't involve hunting for linedefs in an editor.

Alwaysdoomed: sure that works! I wasn't aware that doomguy could drown in Boom games, but to be honest I'm not the most experienced with it.

Grazza: sounds cool! so long as the death exit actually allows for progress to the next level I don't see any problem. I don't want people to have to idclev, basically.

To All: I think it'd be best to hold off on submissions until I get a map completed and up, which after my tests this weekend I'll be able to get on top of doing. Wasn't expecting so much immediate interest in the project when I started, should've held off till I had a map ready for some indications. So please excuse my tardiness and allow me a bit more time, if you would! Thanks!

I've read this thread like 4 times and still don't get it. What's the point in making a map that requires cheating? Frustrate the player? I'm sorry, but I just don't understand it. Maybe I'm missing something.

Zed said:

I've read this thread like 4 times and still don't get it. What's the point in making a map that requires cheating? Frustrate the player? I'm sorry, but I just don't understand it. Maybe I'm missing something.

It's for mappers who are already shit, and now they can join a project where shit is the goal. Granted, someone could pop out an awesome totally playable and detailed level that just happens to be missing an exit switch.

Clonehunter said:

It's for mappers who are already shit, and now they can join a project where shit is the goal. Granted, someone could pop out an awesome totally playable and detailed level that just happens to be missing an exit switch.

That is a pretty messed up thing to say considering the maps could have awesome detail. I think it might be interesting to see the different ways people can make their maps unbeatable without cheats.

How does "awesome detail" in any way guarantee a good map? If anything you could just use "over detailing" to block a player in subtly, thus making the map unwinnable that way.

Clonehunter said:

Granted, someone could pop out an awesome totally playable and detailed level that just happens to be missing an exit switch.

I was basically going to attempt something along the lines of this, only the one hitch would be the door in the starting room has a flipped linedef that can't be activated from your side.

Phobus said:

How does "awesome detail" in any way guarantee a good map? If anything you could just use "over detailing" to block a player in subtly, thus making the map unwinnable that way.

Even better

Phobus said:

It doesn't but atleast the map wont look crappy XD.