Icon of Sin / Baphomet
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > Vanilla E1 replacement for Ultimate Doom

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 05:22. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
CarpetolA
Mini-Member

Hey guys! It's been a while!

Just letting you know, I'm making an E1 replacement for Ultimate Doom in vanilla flavor (what, you haven't played one of those before!? Man...)! Last Saturday I had a twitch in my mind. Why not try to make a vanilla Doom WAD? Since Saturday I have just finished my third map on this one. I'm really pleased with how it looks so far!

I'm going for a classic E1-look, attempting to implement the visuals and style of the original maps while adding my own twerk to them. Maybe I will succeed, maybe I won't. It all depends on what you think. In the end though, I'll be happy I made this one! It's the first time I'm actually trudging forward with my mapping, immediately starting on the next map as soon as I am done with the previous one.

*BIG EDIT (12-20-2013): I have decided to turn this into a remake of KDITD. This means that I will delete a couple of maps and start over. Of course I'll include my own parts and geometry and whatever I can think of in my maps, but the familiar layouts of the original maps will be there. The visuals and style will not be altered, obviously.

Enough with the rambling, here are a few screenshots:
http://imageshack.com/a/img706/5803/ccdl.png
http://imageshack.com/a/img849/7416/xyj4.png
http://imageshack.com/a/img208/1764/vo7i.png
http://imageshack.com/a/img542/2967/775r.png

*EDIT: Some screenshots of E1M4:
http://imageshack.com/a/img546/2294/4prg.png
http://imageshack.com/a/img17/8756/1ccs.png
http://imageshack.com/a/img716/421/ubr7.png

*EDIT 2: Some screenshots of E1M5 (finished):
http://imageshack.com/a/img440/613/tdri.png
http://imageshack.com/a/img62/2598/90k5.png
http://imageshack.com/a/img10/4349/x5ve.png
http://imageshack.com/a/img163/183/3zi7.png
http://imageshack.com/a/img5/5563/mzm8.png
http://imageshack.com/a/img197/6151/jhog.png

I'll update this post with more pics as I complete maps!

Cheers! =)

Last edited by CarpetolA on 12-20-13 at 01:07

Old Post 10-22-13 01:03 #
CarpetolA is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
schwerpunk

Ultimate Doom, eh? Sounds fun. I like how each area is distinct. Also digging the fancy staircase work in the last shot. Everything but the first screenshot looks like it might risk being cramped, but it could be just the aspect ratio of the screenies throwing me off.

Old Post 10-22-13 01:14 #
schwerpunk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Marcaek

The only screenshot that really caught my attention was the first, it's a pretty cool scene. The others are pretty boxy and standard fare IMO.

Also, using this post to encourage more E3 replacements for new mappers. Why is it always E1?

Old Post 10-22-13 01:25 #
Marcaek is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
CarpetolA
Mini-Member

schwerpunk said:
Ultimate Doom, eh? Sounds fun. I like how each area is distinct. Also digging the fancy staircase work in the last shot. Everything but the first screenshot looks like it might risk being cramped, but it could be just the aspect ratio of the screenies throwing me off.

They maybe look cramped, but thankfully they don't feel that way. To me, at least.

Marcaek said:
The only screenshot that really caught my attention was the first, it's a pretty cool scene. The others are pretty boxy and standard fare IMO.

Also, using this post to encourage more E3 replacements for new mappers. Why is it always E1?

I'm still in my comfort zone where almost everything must be at a 90/45 degree angle. Don't know why. I can try to edit some parts of the maps so they resemble the original maps more. In the time being, I'll concentrate on making the rest of the maps.

Old Post 10-22-13 01:45 #
CarpetolA is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Marcaek

Sure, I'm just remarking on the fact that most episode replacements by newer mappers are for E1. Personally I think the later episodes have plenty to draw inspiration from and allow for a lot more experimentation.

Old Post 10-22-13 02:50 #
Marcaek is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
CarpetolA
Mini-Member

Marcaek said:
Sure, I'm just remarking on the fact that most episode replacements by newer mappers are for E1. Personally I think the later episodes have plenty to draw inspiration from and allow for a lot more experimentation.

I agree. An explanation for the abundant amounts of E1 replacements would be that Knee-Deep in The Dead impacted a lot of gamers' lives. It is usually the first major experience of a Doomer, such as myself. After I'm done with this episode, I might consider going all the way and make replacements for episodes two and three, maybe the fourth one even, depending on how long it will take on average. Just have to play through them first in order to refresh my memory and feel the atmosphere and take in the visuals. Inspiration is key, y'know! =)

Old Post 10-22-13 03:10 #
Dragonsbrethren

First shot's a nice, interesting space. The others aren't bad, either, but do look a bit cramped. I also think those SLADRIP panels in the third shot would look better against a NUKESLAD wall of the same height.

Don't worry too much about 90/45 degree lines, just don't fall into the box room -> door -> rectangle corridor -> door -> box room trap. Connect your stuff in interesting ways and make each area its own place, and no one will care about a little orthogonalness. That first shot looks like it'll be really fun to play in.

Old Post 10-22-13 03:20 #
Dragonsbrethren is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
40oz
Forum Spammer

Looks nice and clean.

Old Post 10-22-13 15:45 #
40oz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
walter confalonieri

looks cool

Old Post 10-22-13 15:57 #
walter confalonieri is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
CarpetolA
Mini-Member

40oz said:
Looks nice and clean.

walter confalonieri said:
looks cool

Thanks, guys! =)
Making progress on E1M4 right now, some screens coming up in the next day or so!

Old Post 10-22-13 17:19 #
Doomkid
Forum Regular

I do enjoy a good set of Vanilla Doom maps. Screenshots looking nice and polished, i'll give this one a play once it's released. Hope to see more progress on this one soon!

Old Post 10-24-13 06:19 #
Doomkid is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Olroda
Green Marine

Looking good! And don't be afraid to include some really dark locales as well!

Old Post 10-24-13 09:53 #
Olroda is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheUltimateDoomer666

Always great to see new classic-styled vanilla WADs.

The first screenshot is cool, and the others are okay. The areas are a little too "squarish" in my opinion, but otherwise it's quite nice and clean. Overall, looking pretty good.

Old Post 10-24-13 12:51 #
TheUltimateDoomer666 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
SteveD

I'll join the chorus and say it looks really good to me. I love E1 replacements. The detail work on the stairs looks great, and the first shot looks very cool, too. Can't wait til it's finished.

Old Post 10-24-13 20:59 #
SteveD is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
CarpetolA
Mini-Member

ATTENTION: First post updated with screenshots of E1M4!

Doomkid92 said:
I do enjoy a good set of Vanilla Doom maps. Screenshots looking nice and polished, i'll give this one a play once it's released. Hope to see more progress on this one soon!

Thanks a lot! =)

Olroda said:
Looking good! And don't be afraid to include some really dark locales as well!

I'll squeeze those in somewhere in this episode! ;)

TheUltimateDoomer666 said:
Always great to see new classic-styled vanilla WADs.

The first screenshot is cool, and the others are okay. The areas are a little too "squarish" in my opinion, but otherwise it's quite nice and clean. Overall, looking pretty good.

I'm using this opportunity to make levels that are not entirely made out of rooms with 45/90 degree angles. All or at least a majority of these shots don't show that, but they are there. =)

SteveD said:
I'll join the chorus and say it looks really good to me. I love E1 replacements. The detail work on the stairs looks great, and the first shot looks very cool, too. Can't wait til it's finished.

Thanks for the encouraging words, man! =)

Old Post 10-25-13 00:03 #
maggotjoe
Pistol Start

Looks nice id give it a Play!

Old Post 10-27-13 17:37 #
maggotjoe is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jimothy

CarpetolA said:
...my own twerk to them.

Oh my, looks like somebody's a little excitable about their Vanilla E1 project. ;)

In all seriousness, this looks very interesting, can't wait to play it upon release!

Old Post 10-27-13 18:58 #
Jimothy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
SteveD

Ah, the twerk. That reminds me, I've thought about doing a map called Miley's Gonna Get You. I'd need to turn one of her tongue-out pics into a texture to pull it off, though. I could have fun with it, maybe have her looking on as an army of monsters attacks you. And yes, I'm on Team Miley. :)

Old Post 10-27-13 19:43 #
SteveD is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
CarpetolA
Mini-Member

maggotjoe said:
Looks nice id give it a Play!

Thanks, maggotjoe! =)

Jimothy said:
Oh my, looks like somebody's a little excitable about their Vanilla E1 project. ;)

In all seriousness, this looks very interesting, can't wait to play it upon release!

SteveD said:
Ah, the twerk. That reminds me, I've thought about doing a map called Miley's Gonna Get You. I'd need to turn one of her tongue-out pics into a texture to pull it off, though. I could have fun with it, maybe have her looking on as an army of monsters attacks you. And yes, I'm on Team Miley. :)

Oh Jesus Christ, I hoped no one would make that connection... Guess I got my ass handed to me! xD

Old Post 10-27-13 20:01 #
CarpetolA
Mini-Member

ATTENTION: Sorry for my absence, I work shifts so I haven't been able to update this thread and really get anywhere with my mapping. I'm usually bushed when I get home!

Making strong progress on E1M5 today! Updated my first post with a few screenshots! As you can see it's not finished yet, just wanted to show you something after having been away these last couple of weeks.

Old Post 11-10-13 00:35 #
SteveD

The new pics look very, very good. I'm really looking forward to this one.

Old Post 11-10-13 05:38 #
CarpetolA
Mini-Member

SteveD said:
The new pics look very, very good. I'm really looking forward to this one.

Thanks, SteveD! Hopefully it will be released in time for the Cacowards... ;P

Old Post 11-10-13 14:37 #
CarpetolA
Mini-Member

ATTENTION: Just finished E1M5 yesterday! Only four levels left! =)

Old Post 11-16-13 21:42 #