Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Joshy

Resurgence - Boom Compatible Megawad [Final Version Released] - Idgames link up!

Gez said:

Setting a texture shouldn't affect how nodes are built or demo syncs, except maybe if the sidedef changed is possibly used for a "raise by texture height" effect.

True, but the lift itself doesn't function properly either, a sector needs to be changed, not just the texturing. For some reason no thanks to my oversight, the player can't fit into the lift (32x64 instead of 64x64)- only half of the sector functions like a lift. I'm guessing I accidentally merged a few sectors, bah.

Hi, just played through map09. The yellow door room with the bars lowering after you where the switch to the switch that raises the bars to where the spider mastermind has a trap that releases the demons and revenants can cause the player to be trapped between the bars with no escape.

LingtheDoomGuy said:

Hi, just played through map09. The yellow door room with the bars lowering after you where the switch to the switch that raises the bars to where the spider mastermind has a trap that releases the demons and revenants can cause the player to be trapped between the bars with no escape.

If I know where you're talking about, I checked, I don't see where the player can get stuck? (the bars are re-openable)

I'm a little over halfway through. Wow. Thank you.

- The "Surge" concept is excellent. Doom is at its best when the player feels unsafe. The initial propulsion makes me think of a pinball plunger, setting up volatile initial conditions.
- I love the slightly labyrinthine construction of most of the levels, the way paths and spaces are woven together and revisited, forcing the player to internalize the map layouts.
- I also enjoy the jumping puzzles, easy to execute, but which force the player to read the level. These and the slightly mysterious switches give me some adventure-game satisfaction similar to Hexen or perhaps Jedi Knight.
- The consistent pressuring of the player, especially by enemies on high ground who are a little bit inconvenient to kill, is excellent. There is frequently a tension between a desire to secure a space, and a desire to ignore an enemy until you can kill it cheaply up close.
- It's often necessary to take cover in spots that are flanked by enemy fire from another direction. The bloody donut level with the mastermind in the middle has a great sense of tension, for example.
- Some of the best spectre usage I've ever seen.
- I love it when we don't go straight to the supershotgun. I actually fought an archvile with a regular shotgun, which is something I realized I've never ever done before.
- Great balance and usage of hitscanners and projectile enemies. I love getting killed by zombiemans.
- Resource balance is good. I love it when I go from BFG-kissing cyberdemons to hiding around corners to punch imps and lost souls in order to save ammo. I'd like it even more stingy, but it's great as is.
- I love the distinct alternation of environment types within levels, and the tasteful use of Things to break up the clean angularity of the architecture.

I am enjoying this a great deal. I just finished Excavation Project and I had to gush a little.

Rowsol said:

I can't figure out how to get the yellow key on map 26. I grab the red one and then I'm stuck.

Press the red key switch next to the red key and walk through it, there'll be a pathway opening up.

Macblain said:

stuff

Glad you're enjoying it :)

Thanks. I actually figured it out soon after posting and just forgot to edit it. Not surprisingly the switch was right there, I just didn't notice it for some reason.

Hi again! I just reached the revenant trap on map27 and I think there needs to be some health in that area. Having no health in that area nor cover seemed too luck based and way too unfair. I really suggest you add some health like soul spheres or megaspheres in the trap past the cyberdemon in the tall alcove where you fall into that nasty revenant trap. Not trying to be rude or taking away the difficulty, but I do suggest that it needs to be a little bit balanced.

However, I do like the fact that map27 is extremely chaotic though and the fact that this megawad is excellent that I really wanted to do a playthrough of it on YouTube.

Can't say I'm a fan of this set. There's no level that I particularly like. Too many completely open maps with no sense of direction (other than surviving monsters sniping you from all over the place).

The Library and Poison Ivy were the pinnacle of frustration for me.

I liked that the first episode was set in Hell, that's a refreshing change; some really enjoyable levels early on. In E3, Ravages of Time were pretty cool as a Tyson map (unlike SoD21), it was nice berserking through the monsters there. Also a special mention to The Quiet Before the Storm. This map shows precisely what is wrong with non-slaughter E3 levels: ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Ok this may be a silly question, but I'm stumped on MAP18. After fighting for 20 minutes I get the blue key and find myself at a switch that requires a red key. I can't seem to find this red key until I figure out how to get the yellow key it seems.

A quick look in DB suggests that the player need to get the red key to access the switch that gets to the yellow key in order to get the red key, which is crazy!

I've also tried to jump to the switch area by running off of the nearby HK ledge, but I barely miss the jump.

TL;DR how do I get the YK?

Edit: I did that ledge jump again a few more times and made it. There's quite a few run jumps that are a bit hard to do on this map.

That was probably the main disappointment of this WAD for me. I feel like I cheated my way through the map doing the jump you mentioned and I was reasonably sure that wasn't the intended route. So much of the map has passed by that point that even replaying it I'm still not sure what the intended route is. I felt a clue or two as to what some of the many switches actually did would have helped. It was such a vast level that keeping track of what every switch was doing proved quite difficult. (For me anyway)

I really need to get my review of this mapset completed. I lost interest halfway through the Plutonia episode despite trying hard to find enjoyment in it and I cannot face going back to them. I completed all the non-Plutonia maps on Ultra Violence except for one or maybe two maps, which I skipped when I could not find a key or a way to proceed after 10-20 minutes of searching (this is not why I play Doom).

I was regularly lost and confused in the maps; this was a point I was expecting to get flamed about, but it seems other people had similar issues.

Lest this seem too negative, there are a lot of things to praise about this megawad and it is an ideal introduction for people who want to get into slaughtermaps.

I'm cheerfully awaiting any inaccuracies of your review with a pack of words that will cut deep. Better avoid them!

Don't worry Dew, I'm sure the usual suspects will be lining up to light torches and raise pitchforks ;)

I ended up clipping through maps 25-29, they kind of blurred into one in their playing style and appearance, but I'll give them another go. The overall review is not negative by the way. Every megawad has maps that impress more or less than others.

In ZDoom? Just straferun, and you should be fast enough, because ZDoom apparently increases player's speed a bit by default, probably to compensate the SR effects.

BlackFish said:

I keep hitting the lip by 16 pixels below :(

You need a longer run-up, preferably from the top of the staircase behind. I've just tried it, in ZDoom 2.7.1, with the /idgames version of Resurgence, and succeeded.

Pardon me for the bump here.

Latest version up on idgames now: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?f...ads/resurge.zip

Version indicated by '('final final' fix updated on 3-02-2015)'

Fixes:

Map02- added exit sign at exit teleport so it isn't abrupt.

Map07 is completable on -no monsters

Map31- extra archvile put in (for speedrun purposes).

Map18- yellow key and BFG relocated. Both are easier to grab, navigation to YK and YK bar is much easier. Modified stairway just before the plasma rifle area so monsters can walk up and down.

Difficulty settings added in for map28-30. HNTR and HMP should be more friendly than UV. Added one blue armor and some additional green armor on map27- Also 2 medikits before the infamous rev trap. Modified ledges at end of map27 so monsters can roam up and down freely.

Some minor aesthetic fixes on map30.

Less death exits for those playing on lower difficulties (no death exits on Map05,25,29). Some remain for balancing purposes (i.e., map11 and 20).

So everyone, here's my continuous playthrough of Resurgence:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgS1ZoidySwPvnhzn6_j25vjJhIiSjU9F

Note that every level is played sequentially (ie. start the previous level with the ammo I had from the previous map)

@Joshy, If you watch the videos in the playthrough you'll understand what I mean when I talked about my recordings of each map in the demos thread of Resurgence.