map24: Snakes - Marbled Blue Cheese
That's a pretty cool FFA layout! I like the flow, the open space... it should be fun. However, there are some mistakes in the approach:
- The pits are, imo, needlessly deep. If they're just shallow enough, people can still keep fighting while on different levels. Also the two teleporter pits should have another means of escaping them (some steep stairs? quick lifts?), or you risk someone camping the tele destinations in higher player FFAs.
- This is a small one, but should be worth fixing for general goodness: I dig your stairs and steps, that gradual build is VERY DMish, however those blue marble "railings" should be climbable (=stairs themselves) as well. They're too steep from certain directions. It would add to the freedom of movement, which is already high (=sweet).
- That lift facing the marble goat face should be faster (nigh-instantaneous), otherwise a guy on top can spam the face and kill everything below. Also that poor spawn there should rather be on the RL behind the corner, otherwise he's sooo toast.
- Speaking of spawns, you should absolutely put them over weapons for instant pickups. Most of them should be SSGs, too, unless it's some of the spawns close to more powerful pickups - like t.64 and 67 are close to a teleport to something better, so you correctly gave 'em chainguns. Except they're not directly on top of them, of course. Improved, more frenzied pace should be a desirable effect. Don't be afraid to remove (at least) two spawns entirely!
- Switch the floating island RL with the PG, I think it will work better that way. The PG on that ledge just asks for camping... which will be partly true anyways, make it smaller so people can shoot the guy camping up there from below. Also that void needs a midtex fence. :) Meanwhile, the PG should be an interesting prospect on the floating isle, because it's only a limited camper spot... a guy with a chaingun can take him down from the main area anytime, while the rapid shot weapon should be better for some sort of showering/bombardment/spam over the whole main area, hehe.
- I kinda want sectors 70 and 71 to be lifts, it'd provide another way out of that pit and a guy below could sneakily trap a guy who's trying to run over them, heh.
map25: Olympus - The Aftermath of Taco Bell
Quite solid layout, this should work just the way you intended (if you did intend anything, eheh). I think with the way you set things up and the manner of weapon balance it's okay to leave the spawns just a few strides from the nearest SG/anything else.
However there still might be too many of them - in the SSG room, I'd remove spawn t.14 and keep just two in a 180-degree spread, so a guy lording over the center of the room has more trouble keeping both of them in check. I'd also get rid of one of the chaingun spawns next door, no need to have them fight over it, especially because a follow up pistol spawn is extremely frustrating against a running chaingun. I'd say spawn t.7 is unnecessarily disadvantaged by spawning between candles in an alcove... switch the spawn and the gun. :)
Last thing to consider - maybe a second SSG to put more substance to the "weaker" part of the map? I mean southeast, instead of the chaingun, perhaps. That should liven it up.
map 26: TheMionicDonut - Count Chocula's Spooky Castle Adventure
SSGs on spawns are definitely the way to go here, that should work nicely. Count Chocula himself is an interestin addition and I'm surprised how well monsters are being put to use in -13, heh.
Lose the cell charges around plasma and BFG, if you want to have them somewhere, put them one a piece on those weirdo blocks (sector 30, 37, etc).
I think the teleporter shouldn't be two-way. Going from plasma to BFG is too easy and means more ammo for the big gun with little to no fight. Can the plasma side of the teleporter lead... on top of the burger? :D Also drop the medkit at the BFG, why help that guy. :P Dunno what your opinion is about potentially rjumping to the BFG on NS flags... it'd take some rearranging to avoid that (bars instead the wall, the BFG behind them?) which might not be worth it, cause RJs hurt in Doom.
Speaking of the burger, it HOMs fiercely from the north side. So do linedefs 1025 and 1026 of the first crusher. Oh and I think the lift from the plasma cellar should be somewhat faster to make it less annoying to use. I'd normally protest Chocula's mega, but eh, maybe it'll be fun that way!
map27: Shadow Hog - A Good Ol Country Dinner
The map looks really nice and generally the layout is okay, but there are small problems that bring it down.
First of all, that SSG in the cave is basically impossible to get, because those are 24unit steps over some distance. You need to make them... 16 or something like that.
Second big thing: I really like the windows, but they're only good with jumping. Make them climbable to let people jump out at will! It's going to be much cooler instantly.
Now some weapon placement nags: pistol starts are not that cool. And what, um, southern gentleman isn't born with a shotgun? Put them under all spawns, heh. That meal on the dinner table could be a SSG! Also swap the RL with the plasma gun - I feel like the PG would make more sense in the cage (spray spam) and in the current version it's just additional ammo right after grabbing the BFG. Speaking of which: remove all of those terrible cell packs, heh. Also remove all the cell charges, the only place I'd put any would be the caves. I'd also make the BFG platform corrosive (some sort of minimum damage lava hill?) so no one can hang out there & camp.
Spawns: too many. I'd completely remove two from the house (say, t. 72 and 75), two from the outside (probably 63 and 101) and move one to the caves (163). You can switch it up as you see fit, but this would spread them out better without moving anything else.
Possible final change: move the BA switch closer to the windows (on the eastern house wall), so one can immediatelly jump out and rush for it - the way it is you just call the lift down for someone else to steal your prize.
map28: Tib - It's Definitely Edible, Just Try It!
Heh, interesting. This will probably end in bloodshed and crying, but so be it. :P Just a few pointers: I dunno if I like PG and RL being so stacked together, but oh well, let's see how that works. However, don't put those switches on top. Just make the ceiling too low for doomguys, so if they ride the elevator up, they hit their head and it automatically goes down again!
Also, no mega pls. You have SGs as the base weapons, soulsphere will be enough. Also remove the backpack and move the GA next to it on its spot so it's farther from the now-soulsphere. Also that cellpack is overkill, you already have enoug bonus cell charges everywhere - put two rocket boxes stacked over each other there for a nice rocket boost instead! Single rockets thrown around the map are so much less than cell charges, keep in mind. I guess that's it.
map29: nub_hat - Brick Sandwich
There's no way I'm touching anything in this brilliant masterpiece made of butterfly steaks and unicorn jizz.
Last edited by dew on 12-05-13 at 22:10