Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Boingo

The Ultimate Chex Quest Release 6 Now Available

The Ultimate Chex Quest Release 6 is now available on doomlegends.com

http://www.doomlegends.com/chexquest/frames.html

Lots of new detailing have been added to a number of levels, and as of now T.U.C.Q. is an IWAD. That means it will run in GZDooM all by itself!

It will also run in ZDooM and Zandronum, albeit with small issues. Of course since it was made for GZDooM, it is probably best to run it in GZDooM. (It just plain looks better anyway.)

I've just played the first couple of maps so far and I've not played any previous versions of the project, but I'm pretty impressed - the extra detail isn't quite as much as I'd expected, but what is there is a nice improvement and the teleporters that you have to activate before you can use are excellent.

Nice work!

Boingo said:

The Ultimate Chex Quest Release 6 is now available on doomlegends.com

http://www.doomlegends.com/chexquest/frames.html

Haha, that website is seriously out of date. :)

Making it as an IWAD means that if you load it with Chex Quest 3 as the IWAD (since it isn't (yet) added to the list of known IWADs, you need to use the command line to load it as an IWAD. If you drag and drop, GZDoom will give you the IWAD selection box.)

Speaking of which, you should include the official episode 3 from chex3.wad.

T.U.C.Q. actually predates CQ3 and has a different storyline, so it will not be included.

Since it is an IWAD now, you do not need to have CQ3 as the IWAD. GZDooM at the moment will tell you T.U.C.Q. is Ultimate DooM if you choose it as the IWAD.

You can load it as an IWAD either using a batch file or by using ZDL.

If you really feel daring, add this to iwadinfo.txt in gzdoom.pk3 just above The Ultimate DOOM

IWad
{
Name = "The Ultimate Chex Quest"
Autoname = "Doom1"
Game = "Doom"
Config = "Doom"
Mapinfo = "mapinfo/ultdoom.txt"
Compatibility = "Shorttex"
MustContain = "E1M1","E2M1","E2M2","E2M3","E2M4","E2M5","E2M6","E2M7","E2M8","E2M9","E3M1","E3M2","E3M3","E3M4","E3M5","E3M6","E3M7","E3M8","E3M9","BFGGA0","GYROA1"
BannerColors = "ff ff 00", "00 c0 00"
}

Just be careful when you do it and be sure you have a backup in case you make a mistake.

I have it in my gzdoom.pk3, but I do not have it in either of the pk3s for ZDooM or Zandronum and both of those load and run it as the IWAD without trouble. They just claim it is Ultimate DooM.

Its nice to see things for Chex Quest, even if its currently just touch-ups.

And yeah, that cinema map was terrible, terrible enough it was outright replaced in CQ3's E1/2 revamps

Wonder if this will eventually end up as a 36 level "megawad", with a 32 level continuous level sequel :p I know I'm probably the only person alive that would play such things, but still!

Super excited to see this come out. Not sure why you've complicated things by making it an iwad though. So, now I have to create another shortcut or use ZDL rather than just drag and drop (my method of choice)?

Still, I'll give it a try anyway as I've waited so long. Thanks for finishing it. :)

Boingo said:

T.U.C.Q. actually [...] has a different storyline

I don't see how that's a real problem though. :p

Ragnor said:

Its nice to see things for Chex Quest, even if its currently just touch-ups.

And yeah, that cinema map was terrible, terrible enough it was outright replaced in CQ3's E1/2 revamps

Wonder if this will eventually end up as a 36 level "megawad", with a 32 level continuous level sequel :p I know I'm probably the only person alive that would play such things, but still!

It has been the plan from the beginning for there to be four episodes with eight levels each. The reason the flembrane is missing from E1M5 is because I plan on using it as a boss on the final (as yet unmade) level.

I am working on a new cinema level, but it only consists of the interior of one theatre. I will try to have it ready before the next release.

Regarding storylines ...

Gez said:

I don't see how that's a real problem though. :p

The stories are wildly different. In my version, a mad scientist is responsible for the flemoid invasion and the player has to track him down (Trail of a Cereal Killer), but is too late and has to deal with the full flemoid invasion (Thy Chex Consumed) and finally deal with the mad man himself.

The other reason is that CQ3 is kind of its own seperate thing. It may have been inspired by T.U.C.Q. (Read CQ3's readme file if you don't believe me.), but it is its own seperate entiy and I don't want to steal from it. Despite it glacial development pace, T.U.C.Q. will continue to go along in its own direction.

Hmm. Would have been cool though, to have the CQ3 episode fleshed out a bit more with three more levels. Your work is the reason CQ3 even exists, so I dont think he'd mind if you returned the favour, even if its just a bonus unrelated episode :p

My point was kinda "who cares about the stories" but anyway: the flemoids have since the beginning been said to come from a different dimension, which is why zorching them works -- they're teleported back to their home. So your mad scientist may be responsible for first opening the door, but that doesn't prevent flemoids from also opening a passage of their own now that they know the breakfast dimension exists. :p

I just think it'd be that much more "ultimate" if it also covered CQ3. Of course, if you don't want to, you don't want to. I'm not going to insist further.