Switcheroom 2 is a Doom 2 continuation to Switcheroom (bug finding thread). Goal is the same - recreate original id maps in a different thematical style, to provide an interesting experience - you'll relive the originals in a new, unexpected way. But for a change, Switcheroom 2 focuses on Doom 2 maps instead of D1 ones.
The project will have two co-leaders: Me (scifista42), and Megalyth. We have agreed on it and on the rules (admittedly, the exact phrasing of rules is pretty much my work).
A couple screenshots:
(Left - Entryway in Hell-style) (Middle - Underhalls in City style) (Right - Wolfenstein in City style)
http://i.imgur.com/jbXnrtJm.png http://i.imgur.com/w38cFVAm.png http://i.imgur.com/YWQoUrem.png
- This time, the "Switching rooms" will be based around themes. The themes will be Base, City, Hell, Nazi. You will pick a map from a certain theme (i.e. Base), and convert it into another theme (i.e. Hell) while keeping the original layout mostly the same, but changing texturing, mechanics, feel and pace.
Maps 01-11: Base - water, startan, tech, low tier monsters...
Maps 12-20: City - bricks, buildings, height variation, sandbox levels, high-HP monsters...
Maps 21-30: Hell - flesh, marble, red colour, gore, hellspawn, demonic environment...
Maps 31-32: Nazi - Wolfenstein textures, Nazi soldiers
Think about these themes in their pure form. For example a lot of actual Doom 2 Hell maps don't follow Hell aesthetics exactly - but your maps will in Switcheroom 2.
- How claiming a map goes: You pick both a Target Mapslot and a Layout Pattern. You will be working with the layout of the map you picked as Layout Pattern, and converting it into the theme of your Target Mapslot. In the (possible) resulting megawad of Switched-maps, your map will take place in the Target Mapslot, so build it there.
- Your Target Mapslot and Layout Pattern must be from different themes! This is given both aesthetically and by the mapslots inside Doom 2:
Maps 01-11: Base
Maps 12-20: City
Maps 21-30: Hell
Maps 31-32: Nazi
So, you cannot claim for example MAP21 and MAP25 together. But, you also cannot claim for example MAP27 for a city slot, because MAP27 in particular is clearly more of a city than Hell. You can't pick it for Hell either, though. Pick as different style for your map as possible, for the sake of an interesting uniqueness!
- DO NOT MAKE A SIMPLE MIX OF MAPS. You should follow the layout of the Layout Pattern. The basic structure and connection of rooms should remain the same, the rough look of rooms should remain the same, and must be recognizable. But you're allowed to have a leeway in pretty much everything else. Change texturing, shapes, scale, lengths, detailing, mechanics, in order to achieve the feel of the Target Mapslot theme.
- Theme: Stick just to the general theme - Base, City, Hell, Nazi. You do not have to imitate the style of your Target Mapslot in particular, just the theme. But you're allowed to do it, of course. And in fact, it'd make things interesting, so feel free to do it, just be sure it's no obligation.
- DO NOT add areas to the Layout Pattern, or substract areas from it. Keep the base layout the same, as was said previously. The exception is secrets, you can add or remove them as you wish and consider right.
DO NOT add there even areas from the Target Mapslot map. This shouldn't be a mixture of maps. However, you are allowed to transform a certain room from your Layout Pattern to resemble (or play like) a certain part of the Target Mapslot, if you consider it fitting.
SIMPLY PUT, DO NOT CHANGE THE LAYOUT JUST TO ADD HOMAGES!
- Build your levels from scratch, don't use copypasted IWAD map as the base. Besides copyright issues, it's also about originality - we're curious about your work. Get creative!
- Compatibility: Your map should be vanilla-compatible and use stock textures only. Doom 2 is the IWAD. Your map doesn't have to comply with vanilla's savegame buffer limit, but should follow all other static limits otherwise.
- This time, custom music is allowed. But you must mention where your music is from.
- Give your map an interesting name. The name should not be more than one or a few characters longer than the original slot's name because of technical reasons - DEHACKED doesn't allow for longer strings. As this is a minor issue, we may discuss it later - I'll elaborate on the exact name lengths then.
- To claim a map, post in the thread and claim your Target Mapslot and Layout Pattern. When your map is done, post it in the thread. No changes will be made to it without your permission, you may only receive a criticism about compliance to the rules, and may be asked to rework it.
- Last, the obvious rule: Switcheroom's goal is mainly to come up with interesting ways how the IWAD levels could be tweaked. Do your best to create a great and mindblowing deja-vu experience to the audience! It's even more important than anything else, even than attempting to perfection in the "map-switch". Be creative!
ALREADY TARGET LAYOUT MAP
THEME CLAIMED* MAPSLOT PATTERN AUTHOR NAME
Base (x) (x) MAP01 <-- MAP30 Jayextee Iconic
(x) (x) MAP02 <-- MAP15 Magnusblitz -
(x) (x) MAP03 <-- MAP21 Cell Nirvantlet
(x) (x) MAP04 <-- MAP22 Magnusblitz Low Power
(x) (x) MAP05 <-- MAP19 walter confalonieri
(x) (x) MAP06 <-- MAP29 sincity2100 Nukeage Underworld
(x) (x) MAP07 <-- MAP12 an_mutt -
(x) (x) MAP08 <-- MAP16 Hurricyclone Sector Zeta
(x) (x) MAP09 <-- MAP27 Fernito -
(x) (x) MAP10 <-- MAP28 Megalyth Starport
(x) (x) MAP11 <-- MAP18 sincity2100 Death Yard
City (x) (x) MAP12 <-- MAP02 scifista42 Underfactory
(x) (x) MAP13 <-- MAP05 tourniquet Misanthropia
(x) (x) MAP14 <-- MAP25 joe-ilya Ruins
(x) (x) MAP15 <-- MAP31 scifista42 Wolfencity
(x) (x) MAP16 <-- MAP24 Joe667 -
(x) (x) MAP17 <-- MAP04 BlueFeena Projects
(x) (x) MAP18 <-- MAP09 cannonball Infected Well
(x) (x) MAP19 <-- MAP26 Hurricyclone Abandoned Market
(x) (x) MAP20 <-- MAP03 C30N9|Jaws In Space The Gantchlet
Hell (x) (x) MAP21 <-- MAP06 BlueFeena Church of Evil
(x) (x) MAP22 <-- MAP01 Megalyth Dark Descent
(x) (x) MAP23 <-- MAP10 JawsInSpace -
(x) (x) MAP24 <-- MAP14 cannonball Fellowz Keep
(x) (x) MAP25 <-- MAP13 cannonball Camp Blood
(x) (x) MAP26 <-- MAP32 zinkai Mines of Grosse
(x) (x) MAP27 <-- MAP17 tourniquet Seoreh Cinatas
(x) (x) MAP28 <-- MAP08 Inkie Spirit Traps
(x) (x) MAP29 <-- MAP11 C30N9 'O' of Life!
(x) (x) MAP30 <-- MAP20 Archi Yuggoth Sins
Nazi (x) (x) MAP31 <-- MAP23 Megalyth -
(x) (x) MAP32 <-- MAP07 joe-ilya Grosse Simple
*The ALREADY CLAIMED column shows which maps were claimed for Target Mapslot and for Layout Pattern.
The left subcolumn are claimed Layout Pattern slots.
The right subcolumn are claimed Target Mapslots.
Pick the respective slots from the not-yet picked slots please.
Last edited by scifista42 on 09-05-14 at 18:03