Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NDCP2 (Newdoom)

I can't figure out what is wrong with map2 not applicable (using Risen3D). the door in the court yard will not open. I clicked the yellow switch twice when it popped out of the pond, first time it opened the door the Cyberdemon is protecting, but when I went running to it, it closed, so the second time I clicked the yellow switch in the pond nothing happens. just stuck on the map.

Hmm, I'm not sure I understand you. Can you show a screenshot of the door you're talking about?
One think to keep in mind though: NDCP2 was tested VERY poorly and primarily in ZDoom, so it's full of stuff that works in ZDoom but doesn't work in many other ports. So I would strongly recommend using ZDoom for this wad.

IIRC it lags because there is some texture scroller linedef with a zero tag so it applies to like 18 000 lines at the same time lol. I think prboom+ added some workaround for that though so I'm not sure why you get lags with it. Maybe you have a very old version. o,o

Memfis is not exaggerating. NDCP2 is broken at several points, including map 02. And I do mean broken, as in some areas (and thus, some maps) can't be completed without using IDCLIP on most ports. ZDooM will probably show the fewest problems since that port compensates most proactively for map construction/tagging errors, but I seem to recall that even ZDooM runs into trouble a few times over the course of the WAD. Not many major releases from the past several years were quite as much of a clusterfuck on a technical level, although Hellcore was probably up there.

A shame, since there are some interesting ideas in the mapset.

It sounds clear that they didn't sufficiently playtest NDCP2. It also doesn't surprise me that NewDoom's community has taken a severe hit in popularity, same applies to Phobus(sp?).

Memfis is not exaggerating. NDCP2 is broken at several points, including map 02. And I do mean broken, as in some areas (and thus, some maps) can't be completed without using IDCLIP on most ports. ZDooM will probably show the fewest problems since that port compensates most proactively for map construction/tagging errors, but I seem to recall that even ZDooM runs into trouble a few times over the course of the WAD. Not many major releases from the past several years were quite as much of a clusterfuck on a technical level, although Hellcore was probably up there.

That's a shame. I really liked NDCP (1), and enjoyed the first map of 2. But of course, MAP02 locked up GZDoom, and I never played further...

Aside from these broken maps and concept levels, pretty much decent romp, when I played it recently.

And yeah, you need to apply IDCLIP on that yellow key area.

Mr. Chris said:

It sounds clear that they didn't sufficiently playtest NDCP2. It also doesn't surprise me that NewDoom's community has taken a severe hit in popularity, same applies to Phobus(sp?).

Phoebus* - I also gather his downfall was more because he effectively priced people off of those forums than because they released a broken community project.

kmxexii said:

It would be cool if there was a Boom(bug)fixed release, which I understand was in the works.

It was but the NDCP2 syndrome kicked in and was once again forgotten.

Fixed versions where released here on Doomworld; I released a version for instance.

Though I imagine all the links are dead now and I've since deleted my copies of my fixed version from my HD long ago.

GreyGhost said:

Mad Butcher uploaded your version to MediaFire following a request in another thread - the link still works

Does this fix the majority of the bugs? If so, it should be reuploaded to the IDgames archives.

I don't know how many bugs remain (would be nice if we could squash a few more) or if any of the original mappers have yet to consent to their maps being debugged, might pay to check before uploading.

Yay :p

I included a text file (which is inside the zip) that contained all the bugs that were found; I fixed a lot of them, but not all of them.

*Views fixed v2 bugs fix text*

Wow, that was a lot of crap that was fixed...how did the regular NewDoomers not catch all of that during QA?

Got pointed to this thread by Zahid.

GreyGhost said:

I don't know how many bugs remain (would be nice if we could squash a few more) or if any of the original mappers have yet to consent to their maps being debugged, might pay to check before uploading.

We managed to get everyone on board with the exception of two mappers, PumpkinSmasher and Jetflock. I've tried to get into contact with both, with no results. This is what killed the original bugfixed release.

While I know that PumpkinSmasher would be fine with his maps being edited, I also know that Jetflock would be absolutely livid if we even touched his maps.

So basically we have three options here:

1)Release the bugfixed wad, but leave both PS's and JF's maps alone. Do a third (or fourth) release if we ever manage to get a hold of either one of them.
2)Release the bugfixed wad, but leave JF's maps alone. Do a third release if we ever manage to get a hold of him. (my preferred option)
3)Wait until we can get a hold of either of them before doing anything, which probably means the buggy version is going to stay up for a loooooooong time.

(note: messing with JF's maps without his permission isn't an option for me, I won't do it).

Anyway, I know that on one of my backup drives I have a version of the wad that combines Vermil's and my fixes together. Let me try to find it and I'll post it here.

Demon of the Well said:

There essentially was no real QA. ;)

I seem to recall NDCP2 being released practically right before the controversial changes to NewDoom that, in hindsight, led to a lot of members leaving?

I have a version of NDCP2 that's slightly newer than the one GreyGhost posted, it contains some additional fixes.

I'll upload it in a few minutes, in case any one's interested.

Grabbed a copy, thanks.

Nuxius said:

So basically we have three options here:

1)Release the bugfixed wad, but leave both PS's and JF's maps alone. Do a third (or fourth) release if we ever manage to get a hold of either one of them.
2)Release the bugfixed wad, but leave JF's maps alone. Do a third release if we ever manage to get a hold of him. (my preferred option)
3)Wait until we can get a hold of either of them before doing anything, which probably means the buggy version is going to stay up for a loooooooong time.

I think we're currently using option 3, which hasn't got us anywhere. Let's try option 2.

GreyGhost said:

Grabbed a copy, thanks.

I think we're currently using option 3, which hasn't got us anywhere. Let's try option 2.

Agreed. But obviously, an exception has to be made with or without the author's permission (Jetflock in this case) if there are game-breaking bugs (including inability to max, etc). Anything else can be left alone.

Option 4 could be a binary diff patch that's passed around surreptitiously to fix whatever bugs remain in the released wad. ;)

GreyGhost said:

Option 4 could be a binary diff patch that's passed around surreptitiously to fix whatever bugs remain in the released wad. ;)

I agree with this.

I understand Jetflock don't want people to be messing with his work, but on the other hand, if, like Joshy said, his maps are not completable and/or badly bugged, I don't see the problem in releasing a "fix" wad, rather than changing the megawad itself.

Option 2 or 4 sounds good. Not seen or heard from PumpkinSmasher in a long while. Dunno if he changed alias or left for good.

Maybe the Jetflock maps, if they contain serious bugs, could simply be removed from the pack. Or moved to MAP33-36 slots. They could be replaced by four new maps.