Mancubus
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > Pistol muzzleflash, fixed.

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 14:58. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Soundblock

I made a quick update to the pistol's muzzle flash graphics, fixing the original's overlapping point of impact.

Original:
http://www.monstercute.com/uploads/2/8/1/9/2819457/6549701.png

Mod:
http://www.monstercute.com/uploads/2/8/1/9/2819457/9335755.png

muzzle.wad

EDIT: broken link fixed

Last edited by Soundblock on 02-15-14 at 12:33

Old Post 02-14-14 14:53 #
Soundblock is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Da Werecat

Sharp flashes are generally more rad.

Old Post 02-14-14 15:24 #
Da Werecat is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
scifista42

Yeah, I'm not really keen on this rounded look. With a shameless plug, I believe my fast pistol does a better job, and it only changes sprite offsets (+ the firing speed).

Old Post 02-14-14 16:02 #
scifista42 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Doomkid

It's always nice to see more sprite edits to choose from, but the rounded look does seem a tad unnatural. I believe the point of the flame is meant to act as a primitive crosshair. That said, don't let this discourage you from making more sprite edits.

Actually, it would be cool of the pistol had 2 flame animations like the shotgun. This would make for a good initial flare sprite.

Old Post 02-14-14 16:15 #
Doomkid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Spammer

Seems unnecessary, imo it will only bug the hell out of the player since it's different from what they are used to since 1994. But then again I feel the same about perkristian's improved sounds and everyone seems to like them...

Old Post 02-14-14 16:16 #
Memfis is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Soundblock

Memfis said:
Seems unnecessary, imo it will only bug the hell out of the player since it's different from what they are used to since 1994. But then again I feel the same about perkristian's improved sounds and everyone seems to like them...

Yeah, yeah - I know I'm treading on holy ground touching the original pixel constellations. I once dared to try and improve the imp fireball (crazy, I know), and the failed work-in-progress attempt ended up getting shipped as finished content against my wishes before the megawad was done, so maybe I should just leave well alone.

Playing a map that required a lot of pistol fire though, got the original thing bugging me, is why I changed it. Especially on today's high resolutions, the original muzzle fire's pixels become easily visible against faraway zombiesoliders/imps.

Anyhow. I'm not gonna over-rationalise this little wad. If you don't need it, don't use it.

Old Post 02-14-14 19:14 #
Soundblock is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Demon of the Well
Forum Regular

Hmm, can't say I've ever really noticed the issue impacting my play before. The one I usually notice (not that it impacts play, either) is that frame miscue in the SSG's fire/reload animation.

Pragmatics aside, sometimes a little aesthetic dalliance is enjoyable, even if it's something as small as a modified muzzle flash or the like--indeed, sometimes it's the smallest things that make the biggest impression. When the DWMC played Realm of Chaos I used the optional sprites the whole way through, even though I didn't really like most of the major sprite edits (armor vests, helmets, radsuits, etc.); one of the minor changes was that shotshells were recolored as well, and I found it endlessly enthralling seeing Doomguy shove blue shells into the SSG instead of red, for a change, let me tell you.

Old Post 02-14-14 23:24 #
Demon of the Well is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Soundblock

Demon of the Well said:
Hmm, can't say I've ever really noticed the issue impacting my play before. The one I usually notice (not that it impacts play, either) is that frame miscue in the SSG's fire/reload animation.

Pragmatics aside, sometimes a little aesthetic dalliance is enjoyable, even if it's something as small as a modified muzzle flash or the like--indeed, sometimes it's the smallest things that make the biggest impression. When the DWMC played Realm of Chaos I used the optional sprites the whole way through, even though I didn't really like most of the major sprite edits (armor vests, helmets, radsuits, etc.); one of the minor changes was that shotshells were recolored as well, and I found it endlessly enthralling seeing Doomguy shove blue shells into the SSG instead of red, for a change, let me tell you.

This year's caco award winner changed the colour of the eyes on the Cacodemon, and suddenly it felt like a brand new creature... Might just be true what they say about devils and details.

Old Post 02-15-14 11:56 #
everamzah

Your muzzle.wad link is to a screenshot.

Old Post 02-15-14 12:13 #
everamzah is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Soundblock

everamzah said:
Your muzzle.wad link is to a screenshot.

My bad. Link now improved.

Old Post 02-15-14 12:34 #
Avoozl
Forum Staple

Meh, I think I still prefer the original.

Old Post 02-15-14 12:52 #
Avoozl is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Soundblock

Avoozl said:
Meh, I think I still prefer the original.

/sniff

Old Post 02-15-14 13:09 #
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

What I'd like for muzzleflashes is like a dozen or more different flashes, randomly chosen each time you fire.

Old Post 02-15-14 13:31 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
scifista42

Gez said:
What I'd like for muzzleflashes is like a dozen or more different flashes, randomly chosen each time you fire.
Yeah, it's a shame that vanilla DEHACKED doesn't support any equivalent of A_Jump(), I mean jumps between states (and different sprites) depending purely on random numbers.

Old Post 02-15-14 13:36 #
scifista42 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

Soundblock said:
Pistol muzzleflash, fixed.

I didn't know it was broken. :P

Seriously though, I'm afraid that, like quite a few others, I'm not really sold on the rounded look of the "fixed" version.

Randomised flashes like Gez mentioned would be cool though.

Old Post 02-15-14 15:41 #
Enjay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
the_miano
formerly doomguy93

I think the flash should be a lot smaller. I never liked the original pistol flash sprite.

Old Post 02-16-14 08:12 #
the_miano is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote