Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tarnsman

Final Doom The Way id Did

I don't know,I guess there's no activity there

by the way I went to check on your link and I didn't find anything,so can you put the link right this time?

joe-ilya said:

This doesn't really feel like a Plutonia map. First of all, the layout. While it's small (fitting for Map21, Slayer was tiny), the layout itself is not Plutonia-ish at all. Almost every line in this map is angled in one way or another. Look at ANY Plutonia map, and you'll see that, along with some angled lines (SOME, not tons), there are also a lot of perfectly horizontal and vertical lines. There weren't a lot of those here.

Second, the monster usage. I'll admit that there are a decent amount of Revenants, Viles and Chaingunners here, bonus points for that. However, the monster placement needs work, A LOT of work. Let's take a look at the monsters in Doom Builder 2:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106557511/ptwid_joe-ilya_bleed.png

Look at the monster density here. I feel that there are a few too many monsters for a map this size.

Third, the texturing. This map uses MC13 for a lot of its walls. After looking through every Plutonia map, I couldn't find an MC texture anywhere. Plutonia instead used A-CAMO or A-MOULD.

I'm not even sure what Casail's style this map was meant to emulate.

The management is temporarily busy with their other projects which have rapidly approaching release dates. It's not dead.

AD_79 said:

This doesn't really feel like a Plutonia map.

Haven't played that map of joe-ilya's yet, but just from looking at that DB screenshot, it looks like it could be made a lot closer to Plutonia just by straightening out a whole bunch of linedefs.

And yeah MC* textures were only used for the boss brain on MAP30 IIRC, even though they do look pretty cool.

It looks enjoyable.

however It doesn't look like one of the Casali Brother's style either it is Dario's or Milo's , try to make the map look similar to one of the Casali's style.

Guest Unregistered account

Hey, aren't Maps 11 and 31 going to be hard to fit the bill? They both share the premise of, "Level based around a single type of enemy" and they're both (Archvile and Cyberdemon) the most feared monsters in Doom! So, the only things I can think are to swap them round or to have something like a level with only Barons of Hell and Hell Knights, with maybe a single Cyberdemon.
The other level... I dunno. You can't really make it a level based entirely around, say Chaingunners, or people would just rage and hate the level.

Or can you...?

Also, I'm still making my level replacements. Forgotten World has just been delayed a bit, but I'm still developing it.

I hope this project can take off again, it got pushed further back than DoomRenegade's Nihil Deathmatch thread!

Joe667 said:

Hey, aren't Maps 11 and 31 going to be hard to fit the bill? They both share the premise of, "Level based around a single type of enemy" and they're both (Archvile and Cyberdemon) the most feared monsters in Doom! So, the only things I can think are to swap them round or to have something like a level with only Barons of Hell and Hell Knights, with maybe a single Cyberdemon.
The other level... I dunno. You can't really make it a level based entirely around, say Chaingunners, or people would just rage and hate the level.

Or can you...?

Just create something unique for those slots, they don't have to be based around a single enemy (I would think, anyways).

You don't HAVE to make a gimmick map for any specific slot, really(except maybe Plutonia 07, but if you do it can't be JUST dead simple, even Plutonia itself wasn't so lazy. Don't forget that TNT map07 didn't even use the 666\667 tags at ALL, it was just a typical map). Granted, if you do want to make a gimmick map is should be something original so don't rush into it without a good idea first.

I thought I'd pop back in to further assist you guys in designing Evilution maps. Here's a list of the authors who worked on Icarus.

* - Mapped for Evilution.
@ - Involved in Evilution, but did not make any major contributions, notably maps.

Icarus: Alien Vanguard
Map01: Christopher Buteau*
Map02: John Minadeo*
Map03: Ty Halderman*
Map04: Jim Lowell*
Map05: Mark Snell*
Map06: Gary Gosson
Map07: Tom Grieve
Map08: David Hill (Mentzer)*
Map09: David Hill (Mentzer)*
Map10: Ty Halderman*
Map11: Gregg Anderson@
Map12: Gary Gosson
Map13: Robert Taylor
Map14: Robin Patenall*
Map15: Ken Simpson@ and Jim Kennedy@
Map16: Mike Marcotte@
Map17: Mike Marcotte@
Map18: Andrew Dowswell*
Map19: Rand Phares
Map20: Rand Phares
Map21: Dean Johnson*
Map22: Gary Gosson
Map23: Brian Kidby*
Map24: Gary Gosson
Map25: Mike Bristol
Map26: Jim Dethlefsen*
Map27: Ty Halderman*
Map28: Steven Phares
Map29: Mike Reute
Map30: Ty Halderman* Brian Kidby* and Jim Lowell*
Map31: Jim Lowell*
Map32: Ty Halderman*

This is for those who wanted to do TNT maps in the style of other authors aside from those who made major contributions. For those who want to do a Robin Patenall map, it is interesting to note that while he made two techbase maps for Evilution, his only map for Icarus is a hellish/castle map. I shall be adding this to the list of authors I made linked on the starter thread.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1255117#post1255117

I have a fixed version of my map, which for now I'll call The Lumber Yard; http://www.mediafire.com/download/klg8bsllt0yf599/DEF6AB.wad

This map is for TNT and is in the General 1996 style. This is actually a map from 1998 that I finished off with about 15% new material. That doesn't mean it's super-easy.

As to the error in the previous version, testing revealed that players cannot leave the big lower nukage area near the Megasphere Room, because the Chaingunner Barrier -- Sector 280 -- which is tagged to S1, Lower Floor to 8 Above Highest Floor, will rise up instead of going down if the map is played in -cl 4 or -cl 2, so I changed it to S1, Floor Lower To Lowest Floor, which is kind of ugly, but at least it works.

I went through the map with chocorenderlimits using TNT IWAD and the map is fully vanilla compatible, and everything works. I also tested in GLBoom in -cl 4, and the errors are fixed.

Ok this has been stangnant for far too long now. If anyone has a map that needs more feedback please link it after this post so I can give it a play.

Thanks for that list btw T-Rex.

I'm not sure that "Tiger" has gotten any feedback. Replaying it now, I can see some tweaks begging to be made; I think I'll have a go at rebalancing it next time I get the chance.

Ok! Played the last 3 maps.

Gifty: Pretty decent actually! I want to say the map is a little bare looking, but it's pretty fun despite that. I can't say much in terms of accuracy but it feels Plutonia which is a step in the right direction.

obake: I didn't like a bit of this, sorry. The jagged maze is obnoxious and the other areas aren't interesting enough to mention. Dunno what else to say, maybe focus less on building new areas and more on making the areas you have fun to play before adding new ones?

SteveD: It's cool, but I feel like some areas are a bit too uh... extended? It's like they're longer\larger than they need to be and in turn that makes the map feel longer than it needs to be. If you could trim it down a little it might be ok?

This started as a Tom Mustaine attempt and then, rather than putting in the effort to match his traits, evolved into a generic '96 style map by inertia:

Battery Included

It's quite old, but not sure if I've posted it here yet. Could do with more feedback either way.

Marcaek said:

SteveD: It's cool, but I feel like some areas are a bit too uh... extended? It's like they're longer\larger than they need to be and in turn that makes the map feel longer than it needs to be. If you could trim it down a little it might be ok?

I can see your point. Do you have any areas in mind? My first suggestion might be fairly drastic -- eliminate everything past the yellow door, because that creates a flow issue where you've gotten the yellow key, and then the Megasphere and PG, and now you have to backtrack across the whole map to open the yellow door, and have an outdoor fight to lower the blue key platform, get the blue key, and then go all the way back to the start to open the blue door. I was actually thinking it might be a good idea to dump that sequence before I submitted the map, because I was getting irritated by all the backtracking. Also, the best series of fights is the yellow key drop and the Megasphere/PG, so why not change the blue door into a yellow door, or the yellow key into a blue key, so the player can go straight to the exit and get jumped? The BFG is currently in the outdoor area beyond the yellow door -- that door can cease to exist or be converted into a window with an outdoor view -- but the BFG can be moved to the top of the lift the player uses to escape the Megasphere area, or even placed behind what is currently the blue door.

Another issue on my mind was the Archies that get released when the player throws the switch in the Megasphere Room. Of the 3 on UV, 1 or 2 tend to wander into the initial yellow-key drop area, instead of coming down the path to stuff the player in the Megasphere Room. I was thinking a walking trigger that raised bars 32 units in the archway there might be a good way to funnel the Archies, since even if they rez some Mancs and Chaingunners in the yellow key trap, the player can flip the switch that lowers the dwarf wall in front of the lift, and run like hell to avoid fighting the Archies and anything they rez.

Anyway, getting rid of the whole leg beyond the yellow door would make the progression essentially one big loop-around, much simpler than it is now. It would also make a serious dent in the monster count, thus removing a bit of slog factor.

Yeah, it's a flawed old map, but it does have some decent fights in it. Let me know if you agree with my ideas, and feel free to make suggestions. :)

Marcaek said:

obake: I didn't like a bit of this, sorry. The jagged maze is obnoxious and the other areas aren't interesting enough to mention. Dunno what else to say, maybe focus less on building new areas and more on making the areas you have fun to play before adding new ones?

Yeah, I sort of feel the same way about the map. Though I personally don't find it bad, per say, but rather simply bland.

My second (actually third) entry, The Coffin, is much better and more interesting, imo.

Ok, I just downloaded like 8 maps so I'll get back to people soonish.

Jaws in Space: I can't get that site to work, could you use an alternate host perhaps?

SteveD: I'll think about it a bit and have a proper opinion for you when I get some of these maps out of the way, heh.

Marcaek said:

Jaws in Space: I can't get that site to work, could you use an alternate host perhaps?

This should work better

Tom Mustaine - Finished map 1 submission

John Wakelin - Unfinished do whatever the heck you want with it submission

on your tom mustaine map, the rightmost door at the start has a non-unpegged doortrak. left for authenticity? or bug

pretty cramped and i didn't enjoy it much, but i'm not a fan of TNT at all so i think what's important is if it was in the style of mustaine, and i don't really know enough about it to say either way.

I gave your Wakelin map a try, Jaws In Space. Some neat concepts:

• I think the texturing could use some work in places, seemed a bit messy compared to Wakelin's other maps.

• Great use of jumps -- I actually got the red key with a straferun, before I found the path that was supposed to take you to it.

• Loved the gallows and floating soul sphere.

• The end area's raised ledges with curving staircases to reach them felt lifted out of one of his DM maps, and not in a good way.

• The structure around the sarcophagus(?) was one huge HOM.

Jaws: I'm not sure if your Mustaine map is completely accurate, although I'd have to review his work after having my attention elsewhere for a while heh. Your wakelin map feels like it could be alright but also that it borrows a lot from his existing maps.

AD_79: Both maps are fairly decent, although I wonder if the flooding gimmick is laid on a bit too thick for a casali map. They're both also more spacious than they need to be.

Sincity: the start of your map29 is alright BUT both of your maps borrow too much from the maps in the slots they replace. Sieben was a lot more experimental than habitual afaik, so you need to study how he uses lines and textures and then do your OWN ideas within that. A tip: sieben liked occasion puzzles and weird experiments.

Purist: I think I mentioned to you on IRC, I think the indoor areas should generally be tighter with wider outdoor areas.