Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kyka

TNT: Revilution . 2 small to medium maps wanted

mrthejoshmon said:

Sorry to sound like an impatient asshat but did you get that crappy little map I made? I want to know how bad it is so I have an excuse to do something somewhat useful.

Yeah. I got it. I will pass it on to the team later today, along with a couple of other maps. Had a little play, only the start of it. Pretty cool so far. :)

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Yeah. I got it. I will pass it on to the team later today, along with a couple of other maps. Had a little play, only the start of it. Pretty cool so far. :)

Ah, thanks for that :)

Although there is a piece of advice I must repeat:

Do not IDCLIP and look at the map unless you want to cause a VPO, I tried my best to prevent it from within the map (I think I was successful) but when using noclip the map just dies (spent to much time on lighting and detail DX).

Also I think I may or may not have made going left first (And skipping the optional section) too unfair, I survived it (but I am the creator so I know all the tricks)...

I'll just await feedback and address any issues anybody finds.

And again, thanks :D

Just posting to say that the final boss track is shaping up very nicely and should hopefully give everyone quite an adrenaline rush. Especially if my unique boss design actually WORKs :o

sounds rather exciting; Icon of Sin fights have never really been any fun for me, honestly. they all feel so anti-climatic.

You have the prototype midi for it, so you'll know some of it. I honestly think our final boss might never have been done before.

While I cant just tell people how it goes here of course, Kyka, Megamur and Eris (who knows so that he could visualise the battle and make the midi with it in mind, he's done a fantastic job) were all completely awed by the concept, so I have high hopes it will be a memorable refreshing change from the standard IoS battles. Xaser knows about it too, but I don't think I got his opinion of it.

something Ive said openly since page 1 though: it does NOT involve rockets in brains via timed ledges.

Heh, for the record Ragnor, apart from cutting out some notes to make the MIDI work, and adding in the melodic stuff, I haven't actually touched what was in the prototype :P
Actual volume has been another problem with the track. The sawtooth was just completely buried even at full volume, but panning it left seemed to just help it.

Ragnor said:

something Ive said openly since page 1 though: it does NOT involve rockets in brains via timed ledges.

Yep. Enough is enough. We are totally picking another internal organ that you pump rockets into via timed ledges.

Or maybe teleporters and timed doors, like in D2TWID? :p

The TWID's are actually pretty damn good value all up.

i've found that a sawtooth is really hard to make work if you have a lot of stuff going on in the track. its frequencies get really muddled, especially when played on low notes. i've found that the bass&lead instrument works better in such cases, even though the sawtooth's got a really nice sound going on playing low. i really suck at mixing my songs, though. :x

In that case I'll probably swap the square and the saw in the early parts of the track.

And yeah, Bass&Lead kicks ass. I've got it playing notes between B0 and B1 (or maybe B1 and B2, as some editors take C5 as middle C for some reason) on MUS30.
Now an in-depth thought process of trying to figure out why Ragnor thinks the finished version of MUS30 is less menacing.
Warning: Rambling Ahead

In the opening section I had to take out 2 notes of each chord on the organ, and 2 of each chord on the strings. Personally I couldn't tell a major difference, but it might have had an effect.
The only other thing I altered was the addition of melodies. Some of the melodies are quite sloppy, which is probably down to the fact that the two chords I've picked (B minor and Eb minor) don't fit together, so while they sound pretty damn evil, constant changes of key signature make decent melodies a major pain the ass.

Therefore, melodies are bad for this track and they need to go :P

VinylScratch is right, it does need more bass, I'm struggling to hear it in places myself, and I actually customised my equaliser so it was more bass-y.
Both basses are full volume, panned full left and full right. Maybe making the left bass into another slap bass would work. If not, I could try and add a third, but there's almost certainly polyphony issues there.
I guess the other solution is just to shift all other track volumes down by about 16. Bass&Lead can just come up to the full 127 if necessary.
Fuck me this is a problematic track O_o

the only problem about bass and lead is that it's a very loud instrument, so, if you had a sawtooth as a bassline before, for example, and replace it with that instrument, it'll be much louder than the sawtooth is. of course, you can just decrease the volume then, i guess. i also seem to have problems using a bass instrument if i'm utilizing the strings instrument with a chord, because those strings are really powerful and not as subtle as higher-quality instruments are.

the biggest problem i have, though, is probably making interesting melodies. i can make some good percussion and bass, but the melody will be pretty boring. also, i suck at mixing, seriously. :p

mrthejoshmon, really liking this map.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

mrthejoshmon, really liking this map.

It's nice to see you survived the archvile encounter.

Dont you think there is a little too high contrast on those crate textures? I'm thinking of the shadows

Haha, I massively reduced the shadow from the originals. But yeah, I think you are right.

I'll add it to my list. :)

[edit]

I just lightened the shadows, but I think this is a case of almost but no cigar.

Midi wad update:
Crazy Castle Killer (DH) = Map 8. I was playing her music the most during testing of this, her unique music style matched the gameplay pretty well.
Tell No Tales (B) = Map 11. Moved down from 20.
The Night Train (B) = Map 20. I love this track. Bridges the gap between the moodier tracks in E2 with the Hell tracks quite nicely, and is thus, a great episode finisher
Ragnorian Reprise (EF) = Map 30. We have our final boss theme! If it needs any further changes, they can wait till the boss segment is actually started on. I uh, was not the one naming this track, jut so you guys know >_>
Aftermath (EF) = Intermission. An updated version with a changed ending.

V5 will be sent to the project leaders and midi composers later. As usual, let me know if theres any oddities with the new tracks.

Ragnor said:

Midi wad update:
Tell No Tales (B) = Map 11. Moved down from 20.

Ehm ehm, if I'm allowed to speak into it, can MAP11 better get a more action-based midi with a distinct melody (not necessarily a catchy one, but definitely strongly distinct)? I'd have to plan out an atmospheric-based map, which I suck at and don't enjoy, if I can, I'd do an action map. By the way (sad truth, I know), my map is still in the stage of planning, but I've thought about it and drawed a little and I have a clearer vision than before. So if you already have particular special demands for an episode ending map, please let me know.

Interestingly, MAP30's theme can't seem to decide what tempo its supposed to run at in the first few seconds.

Sure thing. The only E1 midis "locked in" are Map 1 and Map 9's themes. I'm just trying to place Tell No Tales in a slot, its a very tricky track to place. E1 is supposed to be very actiony in midis anyway ;]

Eris' unnamed "ef midi 15" might be good for 11. He describes it as "the Orbital of Revilution".

E1 ends via a transport shuttle of some kind, a way back to Earth (Of course it doesn't actually go to Earth ;]) so if you can keep that in mind, that'd be great. Kyka built an awesome ship in Devilution that has sadly stayed with that project, I was hoping on repurposing it for this map's end and saving you some trouble. Ideally it should be a simple enough construct to be able to be edited into Map 12 as a background object

I can send you a smaller version of the midis with jut the E1 tracks if you want to try out the existing ones (Theres still a few slot left so theres still room to make a specific request if you'd like, I'd honestly prefer it if mappers chose a track, I always feel like I'm stepping on toes)

hey look, my music is considered unique by someone. :p

just remember that i still haven't figured out how to use an actual MIDI editor, so all my MIDIs still have these unnecessary pitch bend commands in them. the good news is that all the songs i've submitted to the project are pretty much final, so they're free to be fixed for the next version of the music pack. i still have maybe one more song i'm gonna make for this project, which will be a moody edit of the intro for Crazy Castle Killer, and will probably fit as an E2 track.

Ragnor said:

E1 ends via a transport shuttle of some kind, a way back to Earth (Of course it doesn't actually go to Earth ;]) so if you can keep that in mind, that'd be great. Kyka built an awesome ship in Devilution that has sadly stayed with that project, I was hoping on repurposing it for this map's end and saving you some trouble. Ideally it should be a simple enough construct to be able to be edited into Map 12 as a background object

OK, I'll think off something like a simple, yet a monumentally tall standing space shuttle.

Ragnor said:

I can send you a smaller version of the midis with jut the E1 tracks if you want to try out the existing ones (Theres still a few slot left so theres still room to make a specific request if you'd like, I'd honestly prefer it if mappers chose a track, I always feel like I'm stepping on toes)

I'd appreciate it, thanks. :)

Doomhuntress said:

hey look, my music is considered unique by someone. :p

just remember that i still haven't figured out how to use an actual MIDI editor, so all my MIDIs still have these unnecessary pitch bend commands in them. the good news is that all the songs i've submitted to the project are pretty much final, so they're free to be fixed for the next version of the music pack. i still have maybe one more song i'm gonna make for this project, which will be a moody edit of the intro for Crazy Castle Killer, and will probably fit as an E2 track.

I definitely dont want to lose those tracks to a bug. The Arcane is too awesome to lose.

scifista42 said:

I'd appreciate it, thanks. :)

I'll get it sorted out shortly. Google Drive and Dropbox make this stuff so much easier :} (Thanks to B and DH for "introducing" me to them)

Kyka, update post 1 with this, ive made sure to point out which tracks are locked in; these tracks are final and were either made for this map specifically, or requested by a mapper. In the case of 22 and 29, you can still override them if you like of course. To me though, they fit the matching levels like a glove, and I cant picture them elsewhere, so I marked them as locked.

Title music: Cataclysmic Impact - Doomhuntress LOCKED
Story text music: The Revolution Continues - Eris Falling LOCKED
Intermission: The Aftermath - Eris Falling LOCKED

Map 01:TiN Toker (Bucket) LOCKED
Map 02:Thrash 'N' Tear (TheUltimateDoomer666)
Map 03:No Absolution (TheUltimateDoomer666)
Map 04:TermiNaTed (Bucket)
Map 05:Severance (TheUltimateDoomer666)
Map 06:
Map 07:
Map 08:Crazy Castle Killer (Doomhuntress)
Map 09:TNT'd Love (Bucket) LOCKED
Map 10:Hellhole (TheUltimateDoomer666)
Map 11:Tell No Tales (Bucket)
Map 12:Ionian Isolation (Eris Falling) LOCKED
Map 13:Lonely Corridors (TheUltimateDoomer666)
Map 14:Enter the Ragnorian (Eris Falling) LOCKED
Map 15:ThirteeNTh Hour (Bucket)
Map 16:
Map 17:TiNTinnabulation (Bucket)
Map 18:Grandfather Clocktower (Doomhuntress)
Map 19:TeNeT (Bucket)
Map 20:(Here Comes) The Night Train (Bucket)
Map 21:The Arcane (Doomhuntress)
Map 22:Terminate 'N' Torture (Doomhuntress) LOCKED
Map 23:Wasted (TheUltimateDoomer666)
Map 24:Unnamed (Eris Falling) LOCKED
Map 25:
Map 26:
Map 27:ToNgue Tied (Bucket) LOCKED
Map 28:And So, She Fell (Doomhuntress)
Map 29:God Ov Julenca (Doomhuntress) LOCKED
Map 30:Ragnorian Reprise (Eris Falling) LOCKED
Map 31:Mysteries of the Duat (Eris Falling) LOCKED
Map 32:Secret (Eris Falling) LOCKED

Triple post! (Where are you guys?)

Scifista has requested Crazy Castle Killer, it'll be moved to slot 11 in version 6. Eris may be providing a replacement for slot 8.

Music: Serious business. And with that I sleep.

Eris Falling said:

Interestingly, MAP30's theme can't seem to decide what tempo its supposed to run at in the first few seconds.

If I were to guess, I'd say the MIDI output can't handlebthat much polyphony.

Sounds plausible, but the part that is strings only sounds like its at double speed. It returns to normal on either bar 9 or 3. Seems to vary depending on what the MIDI device is.
Microsoft's synth works as intended outside of the game too.