Mancubus
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > Quake-inspired vanilla or Boom wads? (+other games too)

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:01. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
scifista42

I'd be interested to see a wad, which directly emulates Quake-style aesthetics and gameplay. Possibly even without Quake textures, just with the stock Doom ones. That doesn't matter to me. What I'm after is the feel. I'd prefer if the wad managed to capture the feel well.

Do you know of any? Any that you would recommend? Please list only vanilla, limit removing, or Boom wads.

Alternatively, I'd like to ask the same question for Duke Nukem 3D and Hexen. And you know what? Let's generalize the question to any interesting examples of "Game X"-styled emulations in a standard Doom engine, no ZDoom or similar. I'm specially curious about the three games I've mentioned, though.

Old Post 03-24-14 23:02 #
scifista42 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Da Werecat

Hexen? Probably Eternal Doom series. Lots of medieval maps and exploration.

Old Post 03-24-14 23:16 #
Da Werecat is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Marnetmar
Forum Staple

EDIT: Disregard this.

Last edited by Marnetmar on 03-24-14 at 23:47

Old Post 03-24-14 23:23 #
Marnetmar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
joepallai

map31 of Requiem did this

Old Post 03-24-14 23:49 #
joepallai is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Megamur

I think I played this remake of Quake's E1M2 a really long time ago.

Old Post 03-25-14 00:27 #
Megamur is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
kmxexii

Darkening E1 --> quake
Darkening E2 --> quake 2

Kesler's "beyond death" used Quake 2 as a point of inspiration, whether it was successful or not is really the player's call
Dawn of the Dead had a few Quake upright teleporters, as I recall

Old Post 03-25-14 00:51 #
kmxexii is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
scifista42

Thank you for the tips.

Thanks to this thread, I've discovered Zaero. I enjoyed the pace and cohesive atmosphere going on there. Unfortunately I got lost on the first map and was unable to find out where to go next, which is when I lost my excitement.

I've tried Darkening, but it doesn't really feel my taste. Even considering how old the wads are, their first maps of Darkening 2 gave me a worse feeling rather than better (weird progression and non-unified gameplay). I liked Darkening 1 a bit more, but it was more like a set of linear maps with lots of pillars rather than Quake gameplay emulation. I didn't play it whole, only a little, I admit.

Still, what I meant and what I'd prefer would be some brownish compact maps with dark unsettling atmosphere and Quake-like mostly setpiece gameplay. Or Duke Nukem 3D semirealistic, not entirely serious nonlinear maps, encouraging exploration.

Old Post 03-25-14 21:49 #
scifista42 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
T-Rex

Some of Kesler's Metal maps use a lot of Quake textures, giving it that Doom meets Quake feel of gameplay. Duke Nukem 3D, there's Revolution! which has semi-realistic maps. The space station maps of Icarus including the Vrack series might count since they remind me of the Lunar Apocalypse episode, my personal favourite in the game. Now, with Hexen, there's Eternal Doom as Da Werecat suggested, but there's also Alien Vendetta. Few maps in that megawad have some Hexen vibe to it, particularly Map 25, which had tons of exploration aside from large-scale slaughter. I also hear Mordeth is another one that emulates Hexen in terms of exploration, even if it's just a six-map demo.

Last edited by T-Rex on 03-26-14 at 06:03

Old Post 03-26-14 05:56 #
T-Rex is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Obsidian
Forum Staple

MAP09 of the MarsDoom demo is a Heretic-style map, complete with DeHackEd Heretic Imps. Of course it also had shotgun shells that would turn into chicks with bat wings and whips.

Old Post 03-26-14 06:00 #
Obsidian is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Tetzlaff

scifista42 said:
Thank you for the tips.

Thanks to this thread, I've discovered Zaero.

Thanks for the link! I really liked the Zaero mission pack for Quake2 and wasn't aware of this hommage. I' m really enjoying it so far, nice complex layout.

Old Post 04-07-14 18:10 #
Tetzlaff is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote