Doom Marine
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > Hocusdoom revival
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 10:13. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
rf`
Dr. Nosign

What would happen if Hocus Pocus was a fps rather than a sidescroller? Inquiring minds wanted to know!

So I did a thing.

Hocusdoom is an attempt to bring this crazy baked idea to reality

Link to Zdoom Forums page

[===== Download: =====]
Requires the latest version of GzDoom and Doom 2.

Current playable demo for 08-05-2014

Mp3 versions of music

MusicallyInspired awesomely has made an SC-55 music pack of Hocus Pocus. It is compatible with Hocus Doom! Give it a try!

[===== Changelog: =====]
Spoiler:

changelog for - 08-05-14

• added map06
  • fixed a bug where enemy health bars wouldn't work after loading a savegame
  • Fixed Progress screens, both when you win a level, and when you die. Now you can't interrupt the death window by pressing a key. Also, they fade out properly now. Unfortunately now there's an issue with the camera spawning inside walls.
  • Updated decorate and scripts for Monk bosses
  • Fixed a bug where when you restart a level after dying you retain upgrade shots.
  • Health Potions give 1 heart instead of 3. Added Big Health Potions that give 3 instead.
  • Reorganized decorate lumps so that when I start the other episodes it won't be as confusing.
  • Due to the way the death script works, I had to fix a bug where you'd keep your score after death. obviously your score should reset to where it was when you first entered the level.
  • Made the Iron Key darker to differentiate from the Silver Key
  • Fixed a minor issue where the teasure checker wouldn't reset if there was more treasure spawned after you found everything.
  • added map07
  • added frames and changed how bosses work (won't be seen until map09 anyway)
  • (debating: do I change mapnames to ExMx format?)
  • made player projectiles wider to make shooting enemies easier. (is it too wide now?)
  • added decorations for Moon Castle levels.

changelog for - 05-21-2014

• New sprites for Lightning Spell
  • Added new enemy - Tengu
  • Added Map05
  • Fixed some issues with Wizard talk. Still waiting for new changes to TimeFreeze to fix music not playing
  • Did some more work for the Full-screen hud
  • Added to the huds a background meter for your max number of shots
  • Changed Power Shot. Instead of doing 10 damage to one enemy, now splits into 10 lightning shits.
  • Changed Hard difficulty. Monsters now have 1.5 health and their shots do twice as much damage.
  • Added secret difficulty. Rage mode ensues.
  • Power Shot gives 20 shots instead of 10
  • Splitter Shot gives 30 shots instead of 20
  • Homing shots gives 40 instead of 50
  • More work with the Power Wand. Shots do the same damage as regular, but recharge time is faster and autofires.
  • cosmetic changes to some actors.
  • I don't know if I want to have backers to Wizard conversations, but I thought I'd try them out anyway. They don't look half bad, actually.
  • Changed the par time for map04 to something more sensible. Probably not possible to get EVERYTHING in 300 seconds. Someone prove me wrong.
  • Completely remade the font and moved item strings to language.enu
  • Monsters now play their sound at full volume regardless of where you are
  • Monsters deaths are more satisfying now. They really do *POP* :P

05/11/2014

• Made the radius for player shots larger so that they hit enemies easier. also made them slightly homing.
  • Toying with autofire. The main spell weapon won't have autofire, but is more responsive.
  • The Power Wand WILL have autofire though.
  • Hitting enemies will give you a point of recharge. Now rewards you for getting into the fray by letting you shoot faster when up close.
  • Cleaning up various scripts that I haven't touched in years.
  • Fixed an issue with the fireball prematurely detonating on breakable blocks. Works fine now!
  • Added the Super Jump Potion. Thanks Kate! -Unavoidable issue where landing on a bridge or breakable block won't cancel glitter effect.
  • Help page updated to reflect new Power Wand
  • Moved music in _mp3 into a folder to alleviate some hotloading issues

[===== Screenshots: =====]
http://i.imgur.com/wuiXiVx.png
http://i.imgur.com/4aNkOgK.png
http://i.imgur.com/XPeEUE0.png
http://i.imgur.com/jQRhhwU.png
http://i.imgur.com/sDYIKIl.png
http://i.imgur.com/lHoP75t.png
http://i.imgur.com/O6sdZWs.png

[===== Map progress: =====]

Episode 1: Time Tripping
Map 01: Finished, needs minor polishing
Map 02: Finished, needs minor polishing
Map 03: Finished, needs minor polishing
Map 04: Finished, needs minor polishing
Map 05: Finished, needs minor polishing
Map 06: Finished, needs minor polishing
Map 07: Finished, needs minor polishing
Map 08: Placeholder, not finished
Map 09: Placeholder, not finished
Map 10: Placeholder, not finished

Episode 2: Shattered Worlds
Map 11: Not Started
Map 12: Not Started
Map 13: Not Started
Map 14: Not Started
Map 15: Not Started
Map 16: Not Started
Map 17: Not Started
Map 18: Not Started
Map 19: Not Started
Map 20: Not Started

Episode 3: Warped and Weary
Map 21: Not Started
Map 22: Not Started
Map 23: Not Started
Map 24: Not Started
Map 25: Not Started
Map 26: Not Started
Map 27: Not Started
Map 28: Not Started
Map 29: Not Started
Map 30: Not Started

Episode 4: Destination: Home
Map 31: Not Started
Map 32: Not Started
Map 33: Not Started
Map 34: Not Started
Map 35: Not Started
Map 36: Not Started
Map 37: Not Started
Map 38: Not Started
Map 39: Not Started
Map 40: Not Started

[===== Features: =====]

Hocusdoom will have relatively the same features as the original Hocus Pocus. You complete maps by collecting all available crystals. However, you can find red crystals that let you warp to secret maps at the end of the level. You are awarded points for finding treasure, killing enemies, and completing each map within a time limit.

Powerups:

Rapid Fire Bottle - Fire shots lightning-fast (pardon the pun.) Will go through extra ammo just as quickly.

Extra Lightning Bolt - Lets you fire lightning bolts faster. Find 10 to shoot lickety split!

Fireball Bottle - Gives 3 shots that will obliterate and pass through any baddie. Bosses are a bit tougher but will still go through them!

Power Shot - Gives 10 shots that will kill any lesser monster. Does 10 damage to bosses.

Splitter Shot - Gives 20 shots. Shoot 3 lightning bolts at a time.

Homing Shot - Gives 50 homing shots. Lowest priority.

Power Wand - Completely replaces your original weapon with a more powerful variant. Other powerups will work the same as before--only more powerful. Lasts for the rest of the level.

Jump Potion - Lets you jump super high. Only useable once.

Teleport Bottle - Warps you to another area of the map. Only useable once.

Treasure:

Rubies - 100 points
Diamonds - 250 points
Golden Goblets - 500 points
Opals - 750 points
Emeralds - 750 points
Golden Crowns - 1000 points
Golden Ankhs - 1500 points

Crystal - 1000 points. Needed to finish a level.
Red Crystal - 10000 points and access to a secret level!

All powerups give 1000 points

[===== Help Needed: =====]

While I don't mind doing most everything by myself, there is one thing I could use help with--enemy sprites. I can use the original sprites for side views, but I need front and back views for them. If anyone would like to help, I'll provide a spritesheet that you can use as a base, to keep everything consistent.

What I'd love to do is have some sort of permanent inter-game scoreboard, but I don't think that's currently possible.

Credits:
Apogee Software for Hocus Pocus
iD Software for Doom
Raven Software for Shadowcaster

Last edited by rf` on 08-06-14 at 06:43

Old Post 05-06-14 18:55 #
rf` is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nevan

My friggin' childhood, transformed to 3D. Looking forward to this - go for it!

Old Post 05-06-14 19:17 #
Nevan is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
General Rainbow Bacon
may have been DoomHero85 at some point

This looks freakin' awesome. I never played the sidescroller, but I love the new textures and things. DON'T LET THIS DIE. I'll repeat it:

DON'T LET THIS FAIL.

Okay one more time:

DON'T LET THIS PROJECT DIE.

okay, that's all.

Old Post 05-06-14 19:18 #
General Rainbow Bacon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
SFoZ911

Nevan said:
My friggin' childhood

Freakin' this. you just kicked me in the stomach with nostalgia.

Old Post 05-06-14 19:47 #
SFoZ911 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

Don't know what Hocus Pocus is, but I'm interested because this mod looks friggin' insane, in a good way. In fact, I'd say that it's downright beautiful.

Old Post 05-06-14 19:51 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
scifista42

Very nice surreal world, things and creatures. However, I'm not sure what makes the right "Hocus Pocus" balance, but don't you think that the basic weapon is horribly underpowered? Each of the numerous enemies needs a lot of hits to die, and the weapon doesn't even fire automatically, you must press the fire key repeatedly. I think you should do something about it. Just for the sake of better balance. I realize there are powerups and stuff, but I still found the beginning shooting to be uncomfortably tedious.

Or the player would at least encounter weaker enemies early on.

Old Post 05-06-14 20:12 #
scifista42 is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mechadon

This is super mega cool and I can't wait to try it out :D

Old Post 05-06-14 20:24 #
Mechadon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
rf`
Dr. Nosign

scifista42 said:
Very nice surreal world, things and creatures. However, I'm not sure what makes the right "Hocus Pocus" balance, but don't you think that the basic weapon is horribly underpowered? Each of the numerous enemies needs a lot of hits to die, and the weapon doesn't even fire automatically, you must press the fire key repeatedly. I think you should do something about it. Just for the sake of better balance. I realize there are powerups and stuff, but I still found the beginning shooting to be uncomfortably tedious.

Or the player would at least encounter weaker enemies early on.

On normal difficulty, most enemies have 4 hit points. Easy mode everything's halved; on hard they're all doubled. So on hard, yes, it'll take a while. I might add more powerups for that difficulty.

In later maps there'll a powerup that basically doubles your damage output.

Old Post 05-06-14 20:38 #
rf` is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Salt-Man Z

Holy crap! Not only does this mod look amazing, but I had forgotten the original game even existed until I Googled it and saw the screenshots. I still don't remember a thing about the game—only that I played it as a kid—but I certainly remember those switches, gems, the goofy heads on the wall...! Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Edit - Ooh, and I can buy it for only $6? Tempting... I should download the shareware version for sure.

Old Post 05-06-14 20:43 #
Salt-Man Z is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Clonehunter said:
Don't know what Hocus Pocus is, but I'm interested because this mod looks friggin' insane, in a good way. In fact, I'd say that it's downright beautiful.

A cool little platformer. Gameplay and controls were kinda mediocre to be honest, but the background graphics were super-cute and the music was super-catchy.

Salt-Man Z said:
Edit - Ooh, and I can buy it for only $6?

Also on GOG.

Old Post 05-06-14 23:15 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Obsidian

Good grief, 40 levels? Here's hoping you have the dedication to finish them all. Thumbs up! :D

Old Post 05-06-14 23:19 #
Obsidian is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
walter confalonieri

can't wait for playing it! Already downloaded!

Old Post 05-07-14 00:53 #
walter confalonieri is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
RUSH

This looks super trippy and awesome, but I have no idea how to run the demo. Normally I just drag the wad + deh files onto zDoom.exe - however with this I get tons of missing textures. Not sure what to do.

Old Post 05-07-14 01:17 #
RUSH is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Darch

rf this is looking gorgeous. But, as already said, gameplay seriously needs balancing. You're introducing new mechanics and health system, giving no time to the player to get used to it.

The very first horde has 6 monsters with 4 hit points each (24 in total), against 10 hit points for the player. At the first room of map 01 out of 40? Why? When I gave my first steps out the first scene, I had 2 health points. Didnt find any health inside the castle, either. You could start with 1 hit point monsters. The visuals and music are so good that nobody will mind to start just wondering around a bit, killing easy monsters and figuring out how the game works. This is the kind of project that HAS to be fun, and you have another 39 maps to develop difficulty anyway.

Also, I don't know how hocus pocus works, but remember that players will be 99% doomers, so everyone will be happy if you let us just hold the fire button. Tapping the fire button so many times gets boring, specially with 4 hit points per enemy.

I hope you don't mind this criticism, I'm only saying all this because I'm really hyped by this project and want to play it :)
And balancing it is so close, anyway.

One last little nitpick: monsters have some black borders that don't really match the other visual style, I'm no graphic artist, but I think it would look better with other colors instead of black. I made a test with the gargoyle:
http://i.imgur.com/1TSm7Qi.png

Again, hope you don't mind these suggestions and wish you good luck with this project, looking forward to play it!

Old Post 05-07-14 01:27 #
Darch is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shadow Hog
Forum Regular

Darch said:
One last little nitpick: monsters have some black borders that don't really match the other visual style, I'm no graphic artist, but I think it would look better with other colors instead of black. I made a test with the gargoyle:
http://i.imgur.com/1TSm7Qi.png

This complaint's more against the original artists than rf`, really. Hocus Pocus had beautiful backdrops, but its sprites all had black borders like that.

Actually, I'd probably recommend keeping that for authenticity's sake, but that's me.

Last edited by Shadow Hog on 05-07-14 at 05:27

Old Post 05-07-14 02:02 #
Shadow Hog is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Salt-Man Z

Just played through the first 2 levels (and started the third) after downloading and playing the original shareware game for a while. Anyway, this WAD is amazing!

I have no problem with the black-outlined baddies; I think they look adorable! As for the monsters' hit points, I played on easy and thought it felt about perfect. I realize (I think) you're duplicating the hit point levels from the original game, but three dimensions makes it more difficult already, IMO.

A couple of things I hope to see implemented:

• A crystal counter. I didn't see one, which kept me thinking, "Is this the last crystal? What if there's more treasure?"
• Autofire. I realize that one of the powerups does this, but maybe allow a slower autofire by default.
• Some way for autoaim to give enemies priority over destructible walls. There were a couple times where I would start destroying a wall (autofire would be nice here, too) and it would reveal a monster, but my shots would continue to fire at the walls, presumably because they were closer?

I'll say it again: this is absolutely brilliant! Like others have said, I really hope you're able to see this through. Just fantastic work so far!

Old Post 05-07-14 03:39 #
Salt-Man Z is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
rf`
Dr. Nosign

Obsidian said:
Good grief, 40 levels? Here's hoping you have the dedication to finish them all. Thumbs up! :D

It will be a labor of love.

Darch said:
rf this is looking gorgeous. But, as already said, gameplay seriously needs balancing. You're introducing new mechanics and health system, giving no time to the player to get used to it.

The very first horde has 6 monsters with 4 hit points each (24 in total), against 10 hit points for the player. At the first room of map 01 out of 40? Why? When I gave my first steps out the first scene, I had 2 health points. Didnt find any health inside the castle, either. You could start with 1 hit point monsters. The visuals and music are so good that nobody will mind to start just wondering around a bit, killing easy monsters and figuring out how the game works. This is the kind of project that HAS to be fun, and you have another 39 maps to develop difficulty anyway.

I may revamp that map to be a little more lenient in the beginning. I realize that many monsters at once is a bit much to start out for someone who never played it--then again the original game was not always that forgiving either.

Also, I don't know how hocus pocus works, but remember that players will be 99% doomers, so everyone will be happy if you let us just hold the fire button. Tapping the fire button so many times gets boring, specially with 4 hit points per enemy.

I'd have to completely rework the weapons, given that you're supposed to find more lightning upgrades in order to fire faster. I had to compensate given the original game only let you fire one shot per screen, plus any extra powerups you got.

I hope you don't mind this criticism, I'm only saying all this because I'm really hyped by this project and want to play it :)
And balancing it is so close, anyway.

No problem! Helpful criticism should help me make this better!

One last little nitpick: monsters have some black borders that don't really match the other visual style, I'm no graphic artist, but I think it would look better with other colors instead of black.

As someone else pointed out, that was an art decision held over from the original game. Besides, it helps them stand out better from the rest of the map.

Salt-Man Z said:

• A crystal counter. I didn't see one, which kept me thinking, "Is this the last crystal? What if there's more treasure?"

The main hud has a crystal counter. I forgot to add one to the fullscreen one. I honestly don't know what to do about the ALThud though.

• Autofire. I realize that one of the powerups does this, but maybe allow a slower autofire by default.

I'm not sure how I want to approach this given what I just said earlier.

• Some way for autoaim to give enemies priority over destructible walls. There were a couple times where I would start destroying a wall (autofire would be nice here, too) and it would reveal a monster, but my shots would continue to fire at the walls, presumably because they were closer?

I'm wondering if making all shots slightly homing, or have a larger radius will help with this? Also giving breakable blocks +NEVERTARGET to prevent them from being homed in on? I'm not entirely sure how that flag works to be honest.

Last edited by rf` on 05-07-14 at 04:41

Old Post 05-07-14 04:27 #
Doomkid

I hope you continue with that labor, because this looks damn fun, and verrrrry interesting for a Doom mod - I'm really looking forward to this one!

Old Post 05-07-14 04:40 #
Doomkid is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez

rf` said:
The main hud has a crystal counter. I forgot to add one to the fullscreen one. I honestly don't know what to do about the ALThud though.

Give them the +COUNTITEM flag and they'll be taken care of by the built-in item counter.

Old Post 05-07-14 13:53 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
rf`
Dr. Nosign

Gez said:

Give them the +COUNTITEM flag and they'll be taken care of by the built-in item counter.

I could do that since regular treasure isn't counted with it.

Old Post 05-07-14 17:01 #
Gez

You could also use the built-in score system by making treasure scoreitems.

Old Post 05-07-14 17:36 #
Suitepee

My livestream channel moderator used to love this game, and I've briefly played a bit of Hocus Pocus myself, so I might end up playing the finished version of this wad. I'll certainly keep my eye on this one, 40 levels and all! Looks interesting to see Doom so....colourful and bright.

Old Post 05-07-14 21:12 #
Suitepee is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
FireFish

Those screenshots look amazing.
But i cant but feel a bit odd about those old-school realistic hexen style hands going up against the cartoon style enemies.

This must be tedious mod to build and complete.

Old Post 05-07-14 21:16 #
FireFish is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Salt-Man Z

FireFish said:
Those screenshots look amazing.
But i cant but feel a bit odd about those old-school realistic hexen style hands going up against the cartoon style enemies.

It does look a little goofy in the screencaps, but in-game I think it actually looks just right.

Old Post 05-07-14 21:45 #
Shadow Hog
Forum Regular

I dunno, Hocus was supposed to be a late-teens/early-20s guy, as I recall, so seeing hands so veiny that they make him look like a 60-year-old strikes me as a bit off.

Old Post 05-07-14 21:49 #
Shadow Hog is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
rf`
Dr. Nosign

I haven't really had a chance to change the hands yet. If anyone is willing to 'youthify' them, let me know. :P

Old Post 05-08-14 02:23 #
BloodyAcid

Wooooah, I remember these screenshots floating from the Doom General PYP thread from a while ago. Definitely have to try this out, amazing job so far!

Old Post 05-08-14 03:57 #
BloodyAcid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
kmxexii

Just wanted to say that this looks totally badass and I loved me some Hocus Pocus back in the day. Thank you for this blatant nostalgia trip <3

Old Post 05-08-14 08:31 #
kmxexii is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
MajorRawne

Never heard of this game, but your mod looks amazing. A couple of points:

1. What's the point of introducing high-hitpoint monsters on the hardest difficulty, then providing power-ups to overcome them? You may as well just use more monsters with the normal hitpoints, or introduce higher tier monsters sooner.

2. Consider this an opportunity to fix common complaints about the original game, not replicate them. I can't imagine that many people want games with 1980s difficulty (i.e. cheap with a steep curve). Provide a gradual introduction with a decent learning/difficulty curve. Bring people into it, don't turn them away.

Old Post 05-08-14 11:46 #
MajorRawne is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

Darch said:

I actually thought the black borders added a bit of flavor to the design. Even if that's how they always were, it's actually a fairly fitting style choice, imo.

Old Post 05-08-14 14:38 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote