Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Cacatou

Wads between Slaughter and Plutonia

So now that I've got a bit of time to return to Doom properly I want to find a WAD that I can play through completely. I've already gone through:

1. Alien Vendetta
2. Plutonia 2
3. Plutonia Revisited
4. Kama Sutra
5. Hell Revealed
6. Hell Revealed 2
7. Journey to Hell
8. Scythe
9. Scythe 2

You get the idea. So I'm looking for WADs in this range of difficulty meaning not at the Slaughterfest level but still difficult. Any suggestions (preferably megawads)? Also preferably one with long maps.

Zones Of Fear. Megawad from our Czech mappers (I wasn't one of them, and don't have anything common with the wad). Gameplay gets repetitive further on, but many people liked the megawad, me too, when I played it years ago. Maps tend to be long and big.

Speed of Doom and hellbound spring to mind. I'd also recommend skepland even though its only 2 maps, its like plutonia on crack

I've played Speed of Doom before but I'm downloading the rest. Thanks guys these should keep me busy for a while.

Skepland is a rough ride, recommended only to veterans doomers(managed to beat it once on UV). Speed of doom is what you looking for my friend.

mouldy said:

Speed of Doom and hellbound spring to mind. I'd also recommend skepland even though its only 2 maps, its like plutonia on crack

Speed of Doom definitely starts out around AV difficulty level but by level 15 or so it starts to turn into slaughter. By the mid-late 20 MAPs it's full-on to the point where I had to add new optimizations into Eternity's renderer to maintain a playable framerate on some of them, just because of the sheer amount of vissprites.

I don't think it qualifies on a list of betweeen-slaughter-and-Plutonia because of this :P

Quasar said:

Speed of Doom definitely starts out around AV difficulty level but by level 15 or so it starts to turn into slaughter. By the mid-late 20 MAPs it's full-on to the point where I had to add new optimizations into Eternity's renderer to maintain a playable framerate on some of them, just because of the sheer amount of vissprites.

I don't think it qualifies on a list of betweeen-slaughter-and-Plutonia because of this :P

Hmm yeah, a lot of these wads go a bit crazy towards the end but speed of doom map28 makes zdoom fall off its chair.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've already played through Speed of Doom and Vanguard. But you've reminded me to finish Epic 2 (stopped halfway), same with Interception and Zones of Fear and Doom Zodiac seem to fit perfectly.

Try Use3D's maps if you don't mind layouts themselves playing against you on par with monster threat.

Skepland is 3 maps actually, and on UV it's more difficult than most slaughtermaps (mix Death-Destiny's level of brutality and tight supplies with sheer map length and nonlinearity and you'll get the picture), so recommending it here is going over the top a bit.

Deus Vult II
Vanguard
Lunatic
Unholy Realms
Plutonium Winds
maybe Coffee Break
maybe Demonized, if you don't mind super-fucking-huge maps.

Demonologist said:

Skepland is 3 maps actually

heh, i never even made it past map 2 to find this out