Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pcorf

Doomed Space Wars Released!

Holy spawning monster traps.

The maps look real pretty though, so far.

7hm said:

Holy spawning monster traps.

The maps look real pretty though, so far.

Yes enjoy them! - Just warning you about the many ambushes in Doomed Space Wars so "SAVE OFTEN!" - luckily there are plenty of secrets and even some top secret Easter Eggs. Skill 1 is really easy but Skill 4/5 is really tough (even tougher than REoL TOUGH).

The latest version on my website fixes skill settings in coloured lighting. Checked all keys and they are on all skill settings.

Will upload to idgames eventually.

Edit: Done some final pre-idgames upload checks. Some teleport destinations in MAP12 did not have all skill settings and made some fixes to the other maps regarding the skill settings for non-monster stuff.

As mentioned before I have fixed the skill setting errors with teleport destinations in MAP12 (which prevented it from been complete on Skill 1 and 2 thanks for me not paying attention to stupid Doom Builder) and also fixed skill setting errors with colored lighting things and health in the other levels and have uploaded it to idgames plus my website.

So if you downloaded an earlier version I recommend you downloaded it again if you chose to play on Skill 1 and 2. But I am sure most players play on Skill 3 / 4 anyway. But skill 2 is good if you want less monsters but the same damage, etc as 3/4/5.

Firedust said:

Downloading now. Gonna play this all day today.

Enjoy and may the Horse be with you.

pcorf said:

Enjoy and may the Horse be with you.

Just completed the first level. Paul, you never disappoint! This stuff is very atmospheric, there are lots of really cool design ideas and quite a few unexpected ambushes. Also I think the PS monster sounds fit this wad VERY well.

Firedust said:

Just completed the first level. Paul, you never disappoint! This stuff is very atmospheric, there are lots of really cool design ideas and quite a few unexpected ambushes. Also I think the PS monster sounds fit this wad VERY well.

I wanted to aim for an atmospheric design with challenging ambush-oriented gameplay. It is all about getting that adrenaline pumped up. There are like 95 secrets in total within the 12 single player levels. When I first played Doom I always enjoyed hunting for secrets. All secrets in Doomed Space Wars are marked in some way, a hint for example like a different texture, or a candle, or a different lighting effect, etc.

The secret levels are not easy to find, but not impossible to find and there are some top secret Easter eggs as well.

I also wanted to aim for a realistic and atmospheric design where the player did minimum backtracking and have less symmetrical design overall compared to that infamous MAP06 of WOS. Some Deathmatch maps are Symmetrical and the 3D floors have enabled more flexibility in the design (up and over, etc)

If you fall down a huge air shaft you get killed instantly and monster falling damage has been enabled just in case a monster falls down but is still alive. This allows for 100% kills without cheats.

For music I wanted a dramatic orchestral soundtrack inspired by Star Wars but totally original music. I composed the music in Cakewalk Sonar and FL_Studio. I am planning to eventually to release the soundtrack so people can buy it on online stores, etc if they chose to do so and it will also be on Youtube too.

Doomed Space Wars should be on idgames very soon.

Completed the first two episodes + first secret level. There was one secret that I couldn't figure out so far. How do you get to the secret wolfenstein room in map 04?

I am glad that you used the playstation sounds, I actually prefer it like that. I decided to play this without music. Give you more of a stranded alone on a huge station kinda feel. The new monsters I've encountered so far are very cool and don't feel out of place at all.

Firedust said:

Completed the first two episodes + first secret level. There was one secret that I couldn't figure out so far. How do you get to the secret wolfenstein room in map 04?

After opening the red key door, just past the 2nd crusher there is an arrow on the floor pointing towards the computer panel and you'll notice Hitler's face. Press on it and you'll hear a switch noise, go back out through the red key door and turn right (west) and you'll see some bright colours, enter!

Been playing this, its a lot of fun. I like how the maps always seem to make sure you are going the right way, I totally wasn't paying attention half the time so was glad of that. Lots of action, some pretty tricky battles too, full of chaos. The only downer was that I saved half-way through the final escape on map09 without realising there was a strict time limit, so had no way to get out. Then again I only saw one secret map, so I'll have to have another go one day.

Top stuff!

pcorf said:

For music I wanted a dramatic orchestral soundtrack inspired by Star Wars but totally original music. I composed the music in Cakewalk Sonar and FL_Studio. I am planning to eventually to release the soundtrack so people can buy it on online stores, etc if they chose to do so and it will also be on Youtube too.

Wow, thats pretty amazing, I thought maybe the music must have come from some proper star wars game. Really good job on the soundtrack.

I am in MAP08 "Star Tomb" now. Kinda stuck with trying to unlock the blue keycard. I managed to lower one of the two barriers holding it, but I have no clue how to find the other. Any hints maybe? :P

NightFright said:

I am in MAP08 "Star Tomb" now. Kinda stuck with trying to unlock the blue keycard. I managed to lower one of the two barriers holding it, but I have no clue how to find the other. Any hints maybe? :P

You need to find 2 switches, one on each side of the upper area area. You'll find it, no huge mazes involved.

I have found the missing switch. It was on top of a bridge but I didn't see the elevator (it was that bridge spanning diagonally across a room, if that tells you anything). No clue why I didn't see it right away. ^^

Other than that, I want to report two problems I encountered in MAP09 "The Chaos Machine". I had two locations where I experienced reproducable crashes in GZDoom (using gzdoom-g2.1.pre-1262-g61e09da). In both cases I got stuff like "Code: C0000005 (Access Violation - tried to read address 000000FC / Address: 0143C9D5".

One spot was after entering the door with blue keycard access. Whenever you step onto any area with lava texture, game would crash. See screenshot #1.

The other spot was right before the end when you reach the platforms after the countdown is almost finishing already. If you drop off the platforms, game would crash again instead of just killing you. See screenshot #2.

Maybe you can also consider making the countdown at the end a bit longer than 60 seconds. It's a really tight time interval, and even if running all the time it's tough making it with the screen shaking like crazy. Maybe 90 seconds are too easy, but 75 could be a fair compromise.

Besides all this, it's a wonderful map pack with clever secrets, beautiful colored lighting, amazing soundtrack and enjoyable Star Wars atmosphere. Thanks a lot for making it!

NightFright said:

I have found the missing switch. It was on top of a bridge but I didn't see the elevator (it was that bridge spanning diagonally across a room, if that tells you anything). No clue why I didn't see it right away. ^^

Other than that, I want to report two problems I encountered in MAP09 "The Chaos Machine". I had two locations where I experienced reproducable crashes in GZDoom (using gzdoom-g2.1.pre-1262-g61e09da). In both cases I got stuff like "Code: C0000005 (Access Violation - tried to read address 000000FC / Address: 0143C9D5".

One spot was after entering the door with blue keycard access. Whenever you step onto any area with lava texture, game would crash. See screenshot #1.

The other spot was right before the end when you reach the platforms after the countdown is almost finishing already. If you drop off the platforms, game would crash again instead of just killing you. See screenshot #2.

Maybe you can also consider making the countdown at the end a bit longer than 60 seconds. It's a really tight time interval, and even if running all the time it's tough making it with the screen shaking like crazy. Maybe 90 seconds are too easy, but 75 could be a fair compromise.

Besides all this, it's a wonderful map pack with clever secrets, beautiful colored lighting, amazing soundtrack and enjoyable Star Wars atmosphere. Thanks a lot for making it!

My version of Gzdoom is 1.82 and I have no issues. I also have the latest version of Zdoom and no issues. Everything was tested, really I don't know what is going on there. Must be a problem with either the source ports, or perhaps memory issues with the source ports. Nobody else has complained. The floor type is #115 Instant Death.

60 seconds are all you have when you have to escape so make sure you save often, especially during the final fight sequence. The end needs to be the most challenging bit. Also finding secrets are a huge help.

I think I did pretty well despite the lack of feedback (as I released the original betas) during development of this episode.

Well, I have the impression that newer GZDoom snapshots work weird in some situations. I have also seen complaints with other folks using GZDoom in combination with my ZDoom adaptions of Laz Rojas' WolfenDoom episodes. The issues with your wad is probably a case for the ZDoom bug report section then. Will see to it that it gets posted there. ^^

NightFright said:

Well, I have the impression that newer GZDoom snapshots work weird in some situations. I have also seen complaints with other folks using GZDoom in combination with my ZDoom adaptions of Laz Rojas' WolfenDoom episodes. The issues with your wad is probably a case for the ZDoom bug report section then. Will see to it that it gets posted there. ^^

And to be honest I have no plans to make another Zdoom wad again. It was a lot of fun with the 3D floors, reverb and much more but enough is enough. Any of my future releases will be Boom Compatible, Limit Removing or Vanilla. My next project will be my 2048 PCCP2 megawad (community proj megawad) that will be released sometime after November 1, maybe in the new year.

I also tried my best to avoid constant Symmetry in Doomed Space Wars (apart from boss battle areas, and some Deathmatch levels) .... but linearity is still present in a non-linear look. Hard to explain. But that was the aim of the design to prevent symmetry and repetitive areas galore, although impossible to avoid.

pcorf said:

I also tried my best to avoid constant Symmetry in Doomed Space Wars (apart from boss battle areas, and some Deathmatch levels) .... but linearity is still present in a non-linear look. Hard to explain. But that was the aim of the design to prevent symmetry and repetitive areas galore, although impossible to avoid.

just wanted to say that i hope you didnt take anything i said in the review as invoking the symmetry bogeyman. i mentioned something about a nebulous WoS format that I remember reading somewhere, but now i can't find where i had read it. maybe someone can set me straight on what I was thinking about so i can draw a correct comparison. it was a mapset where the player could see all three keys at the beginning of every level and then through the machinations of the map made them available. SPACWARS reminded me of this idea but not exactly since keys are pretty much never in the same place, but their prominent display on raised areas felt to me like a motif worth commenting on

The issues I had with GZDoom snapshots have been addressed. It had to do with receiving damage or being killed by non-actors. Pretty bad bug actually. Anyway, it was definitely not a problem with your mod.