Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Flooded Vats [E2M4]

Wow, that's way more than what I can do in 3 hours. The crane textures are probably the wrong choice, and the rising/lowering nukage isn't very realistic (particular the exposed lowers when it's rising), but overall it's pretty good.

Yo Katamori, have a demo.

Kinda wishing rocket launcher earlier for against barons, and berserkin' them is pretty dangerous to me. But map is pretty good overall.

Not bad, but I agree that it wouldn't really work well as an E2-style emulation. There's a little strange quazi-realistic architecture. Unevenly positioned detailing, mainly just decorative, at times it resembles Quake (minus darkness / rustiness). Many of the texture choices are actually not very eye-pleasant to me. Also player's movement is often being spoiled by something - bumping into walls in narrow areas, you need to repeat a long detour when you fall back down from the 32-units high steps, impossibility to backtrack after certain occasions. Combat-wise, there's nothing much special either, many fights are skippable (even the spider), others feature an unavoidable pinky demon in a 64-wide corridor. For an actually fun map, you'd need more. On the other hand, wow, 3 hours speedmap! For me, it'd be impossible to achieve something like that in 3 hours. Aside from a bugged vine midtexture behind the first door (displays differently from the other side), it was very okay and actually well playable like a Doom map should be. Definitely nice try at speedmapping, in a good way. :)

Very boring non-threatening monster placement (fighting cacos/barons with sg/cg in large areas ughhh) but good atmospheric design. Something like this with more thought put into the gameplay would be cool.

Weird screenshots btw, for me these areas are A LOT darker: http://i.imgur.com/YpyZSAa.png

Memfis said:

Weird screenshots btw, for me these areas are A LOT darker: http://i.imgur.com/YpyZSAa.png

I think they were taken with light goggles or IDBEHOLDL on, for whatever reason, or they're in-development shots, before Katamori worked on light variation. Which of those is true, Katamori? :)

scifista42 said:

Not bad, but I agree that it wouldn't really work well as an E2-style emulation. There's a little strange quazi-realistic architecture. Unevenly positioned detailing, mainly just decorative, at times it resembles Quake (minus darkness / rustiness).

That's what I said. The reason of making this map was that recently I rechecked a speedrun of Doom The Way id Did, and I was amazed at E2 maps. I thought I can do something like that as well, since I had the inspiration, but then it disappeared. Either I can't think the "id way", or I just can't plan a whole map so easily like valkiriforce (or maybe even Memfis?), but possibly both is true.

Also player's movement is often being spoiled by something - bumping into walls in narrow areas, you need to repeat a long detour when you fall back down from the 32-units high steps, impossibility to backtrack after certain occasions. Combat-wise, there's nothing much special either, many fights are skippable (even the spider), others feature an unavoidable pinky demon in a 64-wide corridor. For an actually fun map, you'd need more.

Typically, I absolutely suck at adding and balancing gameplay. I just don't have the patience for that. Back in the day, I used to have problem even with making balanced gameplay. Most of my released maps are either too easy or too hard. So there's a miracle of some kind that everyone found it playable yet. After that, you wouldn't be suprised that I can't really think of interesting fights - Memfis was right. Only the spiderdemon was something I thought that might suprise you.

Also, the end was made quickly. I wanted to add some more fights but I would have overcomplicated the map.

On the other hand, wow, 3 hours speedmap! For me, it'd be impossible to achieve something like that in 3 hours. Aside from a bugged vine midtexture behind the first door (displays differently from the other side), it was very okay and actually well playable like a Doom map should be. Definitely nice try at speedmapping, in a good way. :)

Possibly it was a little bit more, but definitely less than 5. I can't remember. I'm glad you like it anyway.

scifista42 said:

I think they were taken with light goggles or IDBEHOLDL on, for whatever reason, or they're in-development shots, before Katamori worked on light variation. Which of those is true, Katamori? :)

Shots were made quickly at the end, and I exactly used IDBEHOLDL to show things in a visible way.

FDA: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1279568

Generally agree with Memfis, looks very good especially for a speedmap, gameplay is not so engaging. I liked the part at the end where you used the vine midtex to obscure the spiderdemon though. Would've been more fun if there was some sort of time limit on the fight, like with only 1 extra radsuit and no non-slime floors.