• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

crumpets.wad [on /idgames]

Ribbiks said:

please play this map on HMP.

Never.

Why would I, anyway? It's not that hard after all. An FDA with single stupid super idiotic death I have no excuse for. I played cautiously, and ammo felt a bit too tight for me again, but nevertheless there's a lot of opportunities for aggressive play, and overall the map is great, no doubt my favorite here by far. Great job, mate!

How big is the difference between UV and HMP anyway? I see that UV has only 2 more monsters. Some unpleasant arch-viles?

thanks for the demos and such. I'm stuck in an airport for the next few hours so that'll give me something to watch :D

@ memfis: glad you liked the music, it's a midi I made a couple days ago. As for difficulty differences: I'm not a fan of just cutting monsters and having a map feel empty so instead I usually swap out troublesome enemies and bolster health/ammo counts. specifically here are the UV --> HMP differences:

starting area: no armor, no ssg ---> yay! armor, ssg, shells (this is the biggest difference imo)
starting area: 2 PEs, 2 cg --> 1 caco, 1 rev, no chaingunners (the only 2 monsters that were simply removed :p)
cyb area: 2 AVs --> 2 barons
AV/imp fight: 2 barons --> 2 imps
also there's about +50 shells and +200 health peppered about that simply aren't present on UV. UV was designed to be entirely PG/RL (unless you guys found the ssg secret, I haven't watched the lmps yet), which makes certain areas (e.g. caco/pe cave, 2AV+imp room) more dangerous due to splash damage, while HMP allows for classic shotgun debauchery.

Great map, probably my second favorite of the set so far behind the claustrophobic map5. There's a lot of open space to maneuver around so long as your prioritize killing the pain elementals. Finding the SSG secret takes most of pressure out of the ammo management and there's plenty of available cells anyway. The switch releasing 4 cacodemons at the end seemed unexpectedly tame: they're too far away to box you in or provide any real pressure.

Here's a UV demo, it's not an fda because I was playing during my intermittent breaks throughout the afternoon: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1336998

Ok next time won't ignore your advice, tried UV and failed horribly. After countless deaths i switched to HMP and it seemed almost like a walk in the park.
HMP First Exit i was allready spoilered due to playing in UV but some parts are still kinda FDA-ish, nothing special though.
I regret not being able to play this on UV since i really liked the PG/RL only gameplay. Great map and indeed really fancy midi.

yay more demos :)

it looks like there's a sizable excess of cells on HMP (even more so if anyone ever figures out that you can telefrag the cyb), I might nix a pack by the HK horde.

@ koren: I agree the 4 cacos were a bit uninspired. Though I never envisioned they'd be the final fight. the progression I had in mind while mapping was to rush that switch first, then gradually work through the level to get back to the now accessible exit switch. It's still a pretty lazy trap though, you're right.

Ribbiks said:

please play this map on HMP.

Sorry guv, no can do--only the crustiest, chewiest, most digestion-taxing crumpets for me. It's a man's life at tea time!

Avert your eyes from this hideous skill 4 FDA wherein I seem to inexplicably develop a flash case of cerebral palsy every time I need to complete the most elementary of platforming tasks.

Not sure it's the toughest in the set--I myself have a harder time with stuff like map 05 that makes you move as soon as the map loads, not allowing you a moment to plan your strategy--but it's probably a bitch and a half without the secrets, indeed, probably would've required me to punch the Barons in the upper area (dicey with the AVs around) and definitely the cacos (which I always seem to find a way to screw up) in the last area I visited if I hadn't had the shells and the RL to work with. On the other hand, were it not for my horrible soulcrushing platforming fail early on, I'd have been 200 cells richer for that whole stretch, so maybe it's not so unforgiving after all....

Idle suggestion for the last bit: instead of 4 cacos, have a vile and maybe a couple of PEs in that closet instead, and maybe port in some cacos and possibly a few general-purpose groundlings into the general vicinity/down in the mud at a distance. Basically, the vile keeps you from sitting in the switch cubby since you can't really find cover in there, the PEs hinder you if you have fast reflexes or foreknowledge and try to flash-fry the vile (esp. with rockets), and the other miscellaneous reinforcements give you something to fight and/or run from when you jump back down into the mud (which you have to do anyway in order to circle back around to the exit).

Some more FDAs for you here. :)

Hmm, I'd say that map 06 is on par with 05 in terms of difficulty, although the overall darkness makes for a much more frightening experience.
Great map, quite a daunting one with all the distant snipers everywhere and an effective Cyberdemon.
Fortunately I found the hidden SSG(s), and I don't think I'd have been able to finish the map without it considering the severe ammo starvation at the beginning.

The midi is cool and fits in very well.

Can't wait to see what danne and you have in store for us in Sunlust... :>

hihi. an update. yay.

- there will be 9 maps in total (i.e. 2 more to go)
- maps have been rearranged into their final order
- the newest map plays on map03

map03: mint chocolate

download [v07]

Another FDA on HMP. Great stuff as usual. Soulsphere gulch is definitely more fun on UV, still i'm glad i didn't try it first.

Semi-FDA on 3. After I banged my head against the starting section enough to leave it alone to get to the bfg, I did save/reloading. Ignore the error, just hit escape. I was testing some stuff out and accidentally attempted loading the wrong file ... I liked it, even your 'speedmaps' are done in a very nice style. I would've liked a slightly clearer indication of which direction to jump to the red key, maybe a landing or something extending from the nukage. The torches just looked like decoration. Also, my opinion of pain elementals has only been reinforced.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/5xb59u2i5oa9k2a/CrumpetsM3_v7ABFDA.lmp

Here's a map 3 UV FDA: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1363321

Three out of four deaths were due to me getting cornered by the cyberdemon. After that point it was relatively smooth sailing. One regret is not saving my last bfg shot for the final trap but I panicked when I saw the mancubuses

It took me a minute to figure out the jump to the red key but i'm not the most observant player. Overall another enjoyable map.

I agree with others, good stuff as usual! Will try it on UV sometime soon. HMP was easy-fun for the first playthrough.

Yay, crumpets. Some FDAs on map 03 : here

Didn't finish the map, but damn I was close.
Tons of embarrassing deaths in there as well.

At first it seemed like every section stopped me dead - the most frightening part being the Cyberdemon trench, but once I figured out a safe route I managed to get a solid hold.

My second demo ends with the player getting stuck between a slime fall and some bars near the red key switch. You may wanna check that :)

Great level. It just seems fairly harder than "Bocuma", or at least if you didn't spice it up in the meantime.

Glad to know there will be two other maps !

cool demos. thanks guys! glad to see people giving HMP a whirl, similar to 'Shamu' this map was designed around that difficulty being the most "fun", in the traditional sense.

koren said:

One regret is not saving my last bfg shot for the final trap but I panicked when I saw the mancubuses.

yup! the idea was to reward the player who can two-shot the cyb with an extra bfg shot to make the last room easier :D

[WH]-Wilou84 said:
It just seems fairly harder than "Bocuma"

I agree! I think I'm going to slightly shift the maps around again.

cheers :D

More crumpets, jolly good. Here are 3 more FDAs for frog, shamu and mint choc (i think those are the ones I haven't played..)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/tdohds27ag5z96g/mouldy-crumpets(2).zip

Played them on HMP and eventually finished all 3 with much dying and a bit of tomfoolery here and there. I like how these maps give you various objectives and let you figure out what order you want to do them in. I can't remember which one killed me most, maybe shamu. Actually I think it was frog and toad. Good stuff!

bump. (OP updated!)

tl;dr this project is done. it ends with a new finale map:

map09: crackerjack

as usual I'll request players try it on HMP. For those of you who ignore that, well, good luck :p. The gameplay ends up being quite different between the settings, so don't let the similar monster counts deceive you.

Previous maps have been bugfixed and arranged into their final order:

map01: Earl Grey (a useless nomo intro)
map02: Flutter
map03: Tiramisu
map04: Bocuma
map05: Mint Chocolate
map06: Masquerade
map07: Frog And Toad
map08: Shamu
map09: Crackerjack

Here ya go: download [v08]

The maps will be finalized after one last round of bugfixing/polishing/whatever. Since idgames is down for the count I'll just post the final release to this thread once everything is shipshape.

Breezeep said:

I'm not that good at Slaughtermaps in general, but this is still neat!

These aren't slaughtermaps imo, unless people are just using that term to describe anything difficult nowadays :P. check out HMP and I'm sure you'll be fine.

a useless nomo intro

you know, for some reason, I have a soft spot for these kind of maps, the ones that don't throw all the shit right at you right away.

will probably play soon, wondering what kind of music you used.

Getsu Fune said:

you know, for some reason, I have a soft spot for these kind of maps, the ones that don't throw all the shit right at you right away.

Ha, I'm exactly the same. I was kind of sad the one here was over so quickly.

Congrats on finishing the crumpets, here is a FDA of map09
http://www.mediafire.com/download/gfyla5ylyjlra3u/crump09-mouldy.lmp
played on HMP, lots of deaths just trying to get past the yellow key trap, but eventually I managed it (via a secret) and somehow scraped my way to the exit.

Not so many choices in this map compared to previous ones, but I did appreciate the option of exiting without a fight :)

Howdy, failed FDA on HMP, i had to deal with a never ending cloud of flying skulls which got a bit overwhelming at the end :p Took a few tries to figure out what to do here but undoubtedly an interesting concept with all those SM snipers. Also congrats on finishing this little box of gems.

Almost forgot spotted some missing textures at the bottom of the mudfall stairs leading torwards the exit.

me plays, halfway done now. on HMP

-cool atmospheric MAP01
-MAP02 was easy and I had no trouble with it.
-missed the secret in MAP03, which had a rather devious soulsphere trap. also HOM in the revenant's cage after the berserk trap. about the same as MAP02 but with less ammo. took me a while to figure out the exit and also I fell out of the map at one point, but at least that's handled with the inescaper.
-MAP04 was a pretty good challenge at the beginning, and also in the red key fort as well. I like how you can just leave after picking up the red key, but I managed both secrets before leaving.
-MAP05 great lighting job. pretty tight combat. is there another way of reaching the key though because I strafejumped to it.
-MAP06 first one I didn't like, was really cramped the whole way through especially the PG ambush with hellknights.
-MAP07 is where this set shows its teeth with a rough beginning and the showcase of viles and revenants. beat it too quickly as the exit was readily available once I got the YK. I guess this is cool to have a readily accessible exit though.
-A lot of open space for MAP08 which was good. the cyber part looked tough with snipers and the nobles on the left, but I can telefrag cybie. too bad I wasn't expecting troll-vile from the middle of the map while clearing out the other vile pillars. other than that, this was artistically pretty neat.
-MAP09 more like Sniperjack, with sniper masterminds and snipegunners attacking me from angles. this is why cover is so desperately important. truly the nastiest map in the pack with a few other nasty moments. you can at least telefrag the spiders but with secrets and teleporter guessing. after the yellow trigger, the mud walls rise up but I see HOMs on the bottom step (someone mentioned this already I think).

FDA that'll be hardly interesting to watch because I'm an escapist and shameless coward. This was actually a pretty interesting exercise in getting the hell outta everywhere for me. Failed once thanks to fat and angry cyb, though on second attempt his distraction has surely come in handy.

Grats on getting the thing done, after all. For the record - I noticed quite a bunch of misaligned textures in this map and in the whole mapset, not that it really affects anything, but letting you know in case you decide to spend more time polishing.

Wish it'd be possible to also congratulate you and Danne on releasing Sunlust soon enough...