Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tuxlar

You Dig (v1.7)

Risen3D will be adapted for this map to be aware of ZDoom features, if I understood the details in a test build correctly. But it may not be helpful in this case that the name of the WAD file contains the version number and will change with each new version (so Abbs would have to include an exception entry for each possible filename, except he supports '?' wildcards).

LigH said:

Risen3D will be adapted for this map to be aware of ZDoom features, if I understood the details in a test build correctly. But it may not be helpful in this case that the name of the WAD file contains the version number and will change with each new version (so Abbs would have to include an exception entry for each possible filename, except he supports '?' wildcards).

It has ZMAPINFO for zdoom-specific accommodations, which is only really to tug zdoom's leash against instant silent floors, jumping, crouching, and (unfortunately) free-aiming. I probably should have made a separate MAPINFO lump in consideration of non-zdoom-family ports with similar features, but it seemed like the primary culprit was the zdoom-family. I haven't gotten around to researching what other MAPINFO fields I'd need to provide for any relevant non-zdoom port accommodations.

The file name on idgames is now officially "youdig.zip", and will remain that way in case I make any new versions. I will no longer be using the version numbering convention in the file name. I'll update the link in this thread to reflect that, shortly. The map (as of this post) is identical to "youdig14.wad", otherwise.

Ah yes, digging your way through map, very nicely done indeed. Reminds me of some very old mod in which you had to use chainsaw for the very same purpose (it was scripted AFAIR). But you could dig only a few tunnels that way though, and the direction of digging was pre-defined.

But to say the truth, the digging got a bit repetitive after a while. There are rather large amount of rockets lying around... maybe it would help if the players could "dig" several of these "rock columns" at once by rocket splash damage. Hmmm, I wonder if that could be done in ACS...

Caleb13 said:

Ah yes, digging your way through map, very nicely done indeed. Reminds me of some very old mod in which you had to use chainsaw for the very same purpose (it was scripted AFAIR). But you could dig only a few tunnels that way though, and the direction of digging was pre-defined.

But to say the truth, the digging got a bit repetitive after a while. There are rather large amount of rockets lying around... maybe it would help if the players could "dig" several of these "rock columns" at once by rocket splash damage. Hmmm, I wonder if that could be done in ACS...

I could probably manage that, but note that you do get better digging tools as you progress, and you needn't dig out the entire map to reach the end (I made sure of this).

I'm working on 2 other digging-related projects at the moment, to try out some more ideas/improve the mechanics. I'll take faster digging options into consideration.

v1.5 (July 5th)

1. Completely removed the Revenant Riot Room. Just not fun.
  2. Rebalanced some progression choices to be a bit less harsh.
  3. Fixed some minor scripted event bugs.
  4. Various balance tweaks.
This should be the last.

Edit: Apparently not. v1.6 (July 24th)
  1. Lightened up the 'slaughter' encounters a tad.
  2. Freelook re-enabled for zdoom. This was highly unpopular. Potential for some minor triggerable breakage if used, though.
  3. Fixed exit door trigger.
  4. Various minor visual tweaks.

Edit Edit: Alright, for real this time: v1.7 (July 25th)
  1. Fixed exit door trigger for real.