Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Plut

Castle of the Far Island

Neat, have a FDA: https://www.mediafire.com/?7jxktoka0le0flv

Yeah it's a bit claustrophobic as expected but doesn't venture into rapefest territory at all imo. Quite laidback actually, considering your style. I liked the ambushes involving AVs the most, where the first and the last of the three appear in regard to the position of the player. The fights aren't even very hard but I just like 'em for some reason. Overall the gameplay was enjoyable and the architecture decent. You do like to use a lot of different textures for decorational purposes but the textures chosen are thematically close enough to each other so that I didn't mind the "excessive" variety. I spotted some minor misalignments and the minisize spiral staircase (around 6:15 in my demo) doesn't look so hot imo. I do realize why you have crafted the staircase in this manner but it just doesn't look very good when the lower parts of the texture don't align.

What I did not like, however, was the item placement to an extent. In my opinion a mapper should never stack different types of items, like a medikit and a shellbox as you have done here. Stacking the same item multiple times is fine but stacking different types just looks dumb. May have been just an oversight on your part but generally speaking too.

Skill 4 FDA. No deaths.

Decently entertaining, but I don't think it's as strong as your previous round of maps ('Marbland', I mean). It's a little cleaner visually, but also seems a mite flat, probably because the light level is uniformly neutral for the most of the proceedings. Some of the textures align/offset very badly on irregular terrain like staircases and such, as well.

Not as dastardly from a combat perspective, but perhaps that's because I've grown more accustomed to your style recently--you even pull essentially the same trick at the end of this one as you did at the end of Marbland, but it's less deadly here because there's not a triple-HP afrit and plasma marine out of nowhere after a map full of stock monsters. There's a lot of suspect item placement in this one, as well, particularly regarding important bits of health and ammo placed directly in front of switches (and in one case, an important bit of health placed ON TOP OF an important bit of ammo, which is placed directly in front of a switch)--I didn't fare too badly, but many players will justifiably resent this inconvenience, especially considering the map's overall supply balance is suitably neat/tight.

Edit: Is there an echo in here?

@Demon of the Well: Haha, now that is pretty funny.

I was actually going to mention the items in front of switches -issue as well, but decided to take it out as too minor a nitpickery since in the end I felt it was more about personal preferences and me having an obsession for effective ammo use. But now that you mention it, I'm going to back you up here. I mean you can carefully maneuver around the items in most cases but it's a minor annoyance and the issue can be fixed very easily.

Fun map. Enjoyed it. Thought the first AV was a bit annoying, cause he was such in a tight space there was nowhere to escape too except backtracking down the lift.

I keep dying there, but IMHO it's an awesome map, I can't criticize anything in particular when I'm impressed overally, which I am right now. Good job.

Guest Unregistered account

[Unrelated] But: Don't you have a better way of capturing the screen? Not trying to be an arsehole or anything.

Thanks for nice demos and comments :). Yes, this map doesn't look so detailed and polished, because it's supposed to be a somewhat oldchool-style map.
Joe667: my PrBoom-Plus doesn't save screenshots for some reason, so I have to press Alt+PrtSc, paste a screenshot in Paint and save it.