Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Abyssal Speedmapping Session 8 - With a hint of lemon!*

I'll post mine as well: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4uhuc884v85pc7b/Cul-De-Sac%20of%20Utter%20Bastards.wad

Name: Cul-De-Sac of Utter Bastards
Style: Warrens(rework of "Cul-De-Sac of Bastards" from abysped4.wad)
Music: "Eidolon's Ordeal" from Hexen II
Time: 120 minutes

And here's Mugsy's: http://www.mediafire.com/download/sbb5qehl9jz3d7a/abys8mugsy.zip

Map tile: Dummerchen
Theme: Wolfenstein
Music: Mostly Hard, by Mugsy
Time: 165 minutes

Someone let Dime know all the maps are finished if he wants to stream them.

Edit: Retracted. Poorly fits the theme, arrived late, not to satisfaction, etc.

I needed sleep, so sorry I couldn't make it. That and my internet was playing up today so that might have been another problem entirely.

Probably won't do a map after the fact either - too busy. Sorry guys. :<

Shorter than usual, but it was nice to play on it!

Also this time looked like a Cyberdemon party, every map have one in it!

misaligniments found in MAP03 and MAP04

Eh, I can live with misalignments. Besides, you always end up with some misalignment when you're texturing circular sectors.

Unless you're clever about the length of the lines. You can easily draw a circular sector with 12 lines of 8, 16 or 32 length if you use the right grid. :)

Jimmy said:

Unless you're clever about the length of the lines. You can easily draw a circular sector with 12 lines of 8, 16 or 32 length if you use the right grid. :)

Ahh, but unfortunately I'm lazy and I use the DB Circle tool. :P Will bear that in mind though.

Time to bust out the algebra and geometry lessons I see.

The diameter of a circle is equal to it's circumference divided by pi.

So if you want a circumference of 256 units, which would fit a 128px texture twice, then you want a diameter of (256/pi) = 81.4873 units. Round up to 82, because it's much easier to work with even numbers for this kind of thing in DB.

Draw a line that is 82 units wide, then two more lines (any size, doesn't matter) to form a triangle. Click the 82 unit line and then click the curve linedef tool. Choose an odd number of vertices, an angle of 180 degrees, and check "Fixed circular curve". You should get a half-circle. Delete the vertex of the other two linedefs so that the triangle collapses and gives you a new diameter line, then repeat the process.

Draw two lines between the top and bottom points, two more between the left and right points, to form a cross. If you want, join the new sectors and delete all but one linedef from the cross. This will give you a 41 unit radius line that you can use to centre your circle on a specific point. Or just draw the radius line yourself if you find that easier.

Now you can use DB's auto-align on that circle and it will give you an evenly-tiling texture.

Exercises for the reader:
* Find a formula to work with regular polygons with an even number of sides, i.e. a hexagon.
* Explain why a polygon with an even number of sides would be easier to work with than one with an odd number of sides.
* Find a formula to work with regular polygons with an odd number of sides. Alternately figure out how to create a polygon with an even number of sides and turn it into one with an odd number of sides.