Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

[RELEASE] Plutonia 1024

Plutonia 1024: The Plutinya Experiment has officially been released!!

Plutonia 1024: The Plutinya Experiment is a Doomworld Community Project of 30 (MAP01-28, 31, and 32) Boom compatible 1024x1024 levels designed for the PLUTONIA.WAD iwad by various members of the community!

This is the official release version! Comments and demos are welcome!

If I ever get some inspiration and some extra free time, I'd love to contribute to this. I haven't done a 1024 map since Claustrophobia so it could be fun :)

Also I love the name!

Unless you want this to be an inclusive community project like NOVA, I'd recommend up front saying there's no 'booking' of slots and the best maps will be used in the order you see fit.

I know you haven't said anything to the contrary but the assumption for community projects here tends to be that you can call a mapslot and it's pretty much guaranteed to be yours.

Obviously it's your project so it's up to you, that's just my thoughts. Good luck with it :-)

40oz said:

-Maps must be constrained to a 1024x1024 sized box.

Does the commonly accepted 1024 rule apply, that only the player can't leave the 1024 box, but monsters and geometry can go beyond it? Or not in this project? I would accept either of the options.

Remove the 1024 rule and I'm in. I so agree with vdgg in that community projects with shitty gimmick rules need to stop. Why not just make normal good maps?

^To make an interesting challenge for the mappers. Some players (though by far not all) can appreciate gimmick concepts too.

Memfis said:

Remove the 1024 rule and I'm in. I so agree with vdgg in that community projects with shitty gimmick rules need to stop. Why not just make normal good maps?

Or a speed-mapping megawad :) (1 week for a map, for example)

purist said:

Unless you want this to be an inclusive community project like NOVA, I'd recommend up front saying there's no 'booking' of slots and the best maps will be used in the order you see fit.

I know you haven't said anything to the contrary but the assumption for community projects here tends to be that you can call a mapslot and it's pretty much guaranteed to be yours.

Obviously it's your project so it's up to you, that's just my thoughts. Good luck with it :-)

thank you, noted! And as such, I'm not entirely interested in making this into a megawad, a short episode will do if its the case. That said I'm perfectly content with the idea of a MAP11: Hunted themed map being on like MAP04 or something.

scifista42 said:

Does the commonly accepted 1024 rule apply, that only the player can't leave the 1024 box, but monsters and geometry can go beyond it? Or not in this project? I would accept either of the options.

I suppose we can go with the former. Thanks for asking, noted.

Memfis said:

I want more normal projects just as much as you do, but as I've observed in the community, the chances for a seemingly decent "lets make a normal megawad" project thread surviving longer than a week or two are not always guaranteed. To be perfectly frank, since my mapping time is limited, I'm doing this for the experience of being project lead for once, and a combined output of 1024 maps and Plutonia inspired themes sounded like a homerun for me. I think if I can manage this, it'll be the baby steps ill need to be more likely to draw in interest to a more broad mapping project. For the time being i just need something that'll work.

I like the 1024 Megawads because they're generally not very long and often have some creative use of space. Not too thrilled about yet another Plutonia mapset, though.

scifista42 said:

challenge

I think I see it the opposite way. If you ask someone to make a good map, he has no directions so he doesn't know what to do because he is too lazy to use brain and come up with something interesting I guess. But if you tell him to make a short cramped map, then he already has something to work with, plus he knows that it won't take too long to make such a small level and he knows that nobody expects something awesome from 1024x1024 anyway so he doesn't have to try very hard. So I think it's not a challenge but rather a lazy way to pump out a generic map, that's all it is. Which is not necessarily bad, yes, but when such projects appear so often I find it somewhat alarming. Let's fight mediocrity by boycotting this project!11111

Memfis complaining about making short/small maps is funny. :)

Also, short pseudo-vanilla non-claustrophobic map I've done in about 2 hours: https://www.mediafire.com/?9dc3c52ftqtck51. Because I hate too claustrophobic maps. Everything in map lies within 1024 square. Tested in glboom with complevel 4.

Archi said:

Also, short pseudo-vanilla non-claustrophobic map I've done in about 2 hours: https://www.mediafire.com/?9dc3c52ftqtck51. Because I hate too claustrophobic maps. Everything in map lies within 1024 square. Tested in glboom with complevel 4.

Indeed, it doesn't feel claustrophobic. Which I find unbelievable. Great job.

I have to say that I'm with Memfis here, all of this doesn't seem to be much enthusing, and two maps posted here prove that. Without such limitation this could be something, but now I doubt that something good can come out of this. I don't know about the others, but I've had enough of 1024 maps, and while 2048 was more interesting - it works that way only once, no need to overdose.

I wonder why instead of explicit space constricting a project doesn't specify desired map length via other (less restricting) metrics, like: map should take no more 3-5 minutes to complete, or contains no more than 50 monsters, or something.

I like the name and everything, and short maps are always a welcome sight nowadays, but I feel the 1024 gimmick is old and tired.

pl1024_aga.wad

pretty difficult. i decided to avoid the imps on the ledge and figure out what to do for the first archie and hellknights while grabbing weapons. in fact, the archies are quite difficult to avoid, especially the two teleporting ones. in the blood pool area, i guess not making a sound makes a difference there. interesting progression and layout. i'm not a fan of the insta-pop-out wall near the end. no difficulty settings yet, but that'll come later i guess. lots of plasma and shotgun action, pretty neat, and alright balance, although i forgot the armor on my first go.

i'd like to be a playtester for this project btw. everyone thinks i am a terrible mapper no matter what i do, so i'm not making something for this. but i'd help with playtesting and (if we're gonna do it) multiplayer stuff.

I have a 1024 map sitting on my HD that's unreleased, would it be appropriate to convert it over to plutonia for this?

pl1024-Phml2. Intended for -cl 9, difficulty settings included.

Hmm, I missed the rule about Plutonia starts/exits until just now. Not sure how to fit that without affecting the map negatively.

Besides that, haven't made any effort to mimic the Plutonia style, expect standard slaughter. ;)

You could get out of bounds with a triple AV jump, but given the layout of the map it's extremely unlikely to happen, so hopefully that's OK.

1024 is definitely played out, but personally, having never managed to make one that didn't turn out to be completely shit, it was a fun challenge and I'm happy with the result. Thanks 40oz.

Edit: OK, v2 with my attempt at making an appropriate start and exit.

@ Phml: Ah you... Of course I can't miss that, catch. Fun map, but a bit too short on ammo. Killed everyone and exited absolutely empty. I believe this could be resolved with infighting (i.e. prior knowledge), but I think at least one more cellpack wouldn't hurt.
And you can also fit Plutonia-styled entry/exit teleports in there without any trouble.

The corridors are 160px wide; so it doesn't look quite right, flat being on the 64 grid and all. And having a Plutonia start makes the start not as great as cover due to floor bumpiness. But I think this is acceptable, I'm probably the only person who will care about either issue.

I have no idea how the heck did you manage to activate the secret with that particular SSG shot, haha.

Yeah, the map was meant to have just enough ammo and not a drop more. Things can play out differently so perhaps that's too tight. I think perhaps more than infighting your "problem" was you didn't use rockets on demons/cacos, not that you could KNOW there was going to be a horde so your point on previous knowledge stands - but come on, didn't it make you feel like a badass killing the last monster with your very last bullet? ;)

I think I'll add two extra cell packs, coming out of the soulsphere teleporters when you grab the RK.

Edit: v3.

I replaced the secret blue armor with those 2 cell packs. Making them pop out of the TPs post RK doesn't work so well because the linedefs around the RK are so small it's easy to just grab it and not trigger anything. Plus, the blue armor feels superfluous as is. Also removed 80 cells but added 2 rocket boxes and 2 ammo boxes.