Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gifty

SMOOTH DOOM [UPDATE 4/14/20]

That was cool! The shotgun has a wierd visual glitch where the other half of the hand doesn't appear, even though it exists in doom.

Looks very nice, you've surely succeeded in your effort. I personally won't be using this as a mod in a long-time scale (I'll gladly stay with my less-smooth classics), but I like it. By the way, isn't the HK's/Baron's attack animation broken? They fire their projectiles later than they swing a hand. I read about it in the ZDoom changelog and you called it "fixed" (regarding tic-duration), but visually it seems odd to me.

scifista42 said:

Looks very nice, you've surely succeeded in your effort. I personally won't be using this as a mod in a long-time scale (I'll gladly stay with my less-smooth classics), but I like it. By the way, isn't the HK's/Baron's attack animation broken? They fire their projectiles later than they swing a hand. I read about it in the ZDoom changelog and you called it "fixed" (regarding tic-duration), but visually it seems odd to me.

I don't have this problem, try using the latest version.

I'm using the July version from the OP in this thread. I've found out that the visual problem (actually a slight one) is not present in hardware renderer (GZDoom), only in software (ZDoom). Is it even possible? Or can it be my eyes fooling me?

Guest Unregistered account

Wow, this is fantastic! Could you add a setting for toggling the alternative deaths?

It really adds a new dimension to Doom. Zipping through the Inmost Dens is such a blast! :D

Joe667 said:

Wow, this is fantastic! Could you add a setting for toggling the alternative deaths?

Yup, that was added recently. Check the options menu!

scifista42 said:

I'm using the July version from the OP in this thread. I've found out that the visual problem (actually a slight one) is not present in hardware renderer (GZDoom), only in software (ZDoom). Is it even possible? Or can it be my eyes fooling me?

This isn't a hardware vs. software issue, it's in the animation. Originally I had coded the baron/knight's attack to be way too fast, and I later realized this and tweaked the animation to be truer to the vanilla version (since this mod aims to not alter gameplay); that's what I meant when I said it was "fixed," the ticrate had been reverted to its true duration as in the original game. Unfortunately, this meant I had to redistribute the frames in the animation, and the way it is currently the baron looks a little slow in tossing the fireball. Gameplay-wise everything's fine, but it is a minor visual quirk.

No credit for me, for inspiration, and what not? :) Just wearing you out, man. Not quite what I had in mind, but credit where credit is due. Good job!

This is AWESOME! When do you think the boss monsters will be finished? I'm looking forward to playing this!

kb1 said:

No credit for me, for inspiration, and what not? :) Just wearing you out, man. Not quite what I had in mind, but credit where credit is due. Good job!

Thanks, man! I know you were joking but I can totally get your name down if you want. :P

RUSH said:

This is AWESOME! When do you think the boss monsters will be finished? I'm looking forward to playing this!

I've been pretty slow lately (X-Com modding just took off and it's distracting me), but I'm gearing up to start bosses really really soon. Like, "I've started on the Cyberdemon" soon.

Two things that bug me:

1) Chaingunner's readying gun animation is one sided and looks weird facing you but actually firing at somebody else.

2) Zombieman's readying gun animation is also one sided.

Are the sprites being worked on for the angled sides?

Glaice said:

Two things that bug me:

1) Chaingunner's readying gun animation is one sided and looks weird facing you but actually firing at somebody else.

2) Zombieman's readying gun animation is also one sided.

Are the sprites being worked on for the angled sides?

As I said on Zdoom, yep! I'm going to finish those.

Gifty said:

As I said on Zdoom, yep! I'm going to finish those.

Ah, all right. Do you think the new frames should be disabled until all rotations are ready?

Fixing the cell thing as we speak (what a weird oversight), could you be a little more specific about the switches?

This is by far the greatest enhancement mod I have ever played. Forget those cheesy 3D Doomsday models or those obnoxious Brutal Doom re imaginings. This retains everything I love about classic Doom and builds upon that. I had a blast replaying Doom 1 + 2 and will continue through every other WAD I own. A fantastic job Gifty!

Is there a way you could get permission to incorporate Perkistan's high quality SFX into this MOD?

Egregor said:

Is there a way you could get permission to incorporate Perkistan's high quality SFX into this MOD?

He's using his smooth weapons, no idea why he didn't use the SFX too.

Because this is primarily a graphics mod and people would complain about extra sounds pumping up the file size. I'd include it in a heartbeat, but it's super easy to autoload so I'm giving you the choice.

Here's a very weird glitch I've noticed: while using Smooth Doom on Plutonia - Map 02 (Well Of Souls) the stone walls at the very beginning of the level are completed replaced with that red/blue E3M6: Mt. Erebus texture. This happens while using ZDoom on software graphics.

Yeah, this is because the stone wall texture typically replaces FIREBLU, but since Smooth Doom defines a custom animation for FIREBLU, it overrides Plutonia's replacement. I'm looking into a way to make the animated textures optional to be more compatible with custom level sets, since custom switches are also a problem for some people.

Probably the only thing that Sarge spawned that I like.

Generally good work here, but I feel it needs improvement in a few areas. There's a lot of cases of shading just "jumping" like the baron's leg with the foot forward, or some parts that appear untouched, like the commando's severed right arm not smoothly falling.

I haven't taken a close enough look at these yet to determine myself, but I ask: has the work of the excellent "sprite fix" project been taken into account? I.e. have its fixes been integrated into these animations, including alignment?

I hope Doom Expanded one day picks up and borrows parts of this (with permission of course) to further upgrade its "classic only" appeal.

It too has issues with conflicting textures, anything that changes textures should be an add-on, not part of the core mod.

I really like this mod. Finally this is something that doesn't get far away from Doom.

Totally recommended.

Sodaholic said:

I haven't taken a close enough look at these yet to determine myself, but I ask: has the work of the excellent "sprite fix" project been taken into account? I.e. have its fixes been integrated into these animations, including alignment?

I get asked this a lot so I should probably give a definitive answer: the sprite fixes are implemented about 50/50. I was not using the fixed sprites as a base when I started, but I adopted them half-way through and am gradually going back and applying the remaining fixes retroactively.