Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
slowtorturepukechamber

CYBERLABS: Upcoming wad

Hey guys! Facelessdoomer here. I'm working on my first DOOM 2 Wad ever! It's called "Cyberlabs" And should be up on /idgames by January of next year.

The reason it's taking so long is because it's a megawad! Yeah! 10 maps. It also has somewhat of a storyline, just to intrigue people more.

PLOT: The UAC Foundation has sent Doomguy over to Phobos to do a mission. What's the mission, you ask? Well, it turns out that an evil force is CREATING monsters at a secret laboratory called "Cyber Labs"! So, your job is to clean out the entire demon filled lab, and then destroy the evil forces that await you in The Final Showdown.

Sounds...mediocre, right? Yeah, it does. But, when it comes to a DOOM wad, how much story does it REALLY need to have?

I have started work on this wad a few days ago. I have just finished the first level, which has a door glitch that needs fixing. I WILL keep updating this thread. It'll just be random.

facelessdoomer said:

Sounds...mediocre, right? Yeah, it does. But, when it comes to a DOOM wad, how much story does it REALLY need to have?

It doesn't need any story at all. However, you'd need to show some screenshots or other prove of your work, to get people be at least slightly interested in your project. Otherwise, I have to tell you:

[newprojecttag]

Facelessdoomer, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

[/newprojecttag]

Just for you to know - I realize that you're not "asking for help". Still, there's no guarantee that you won't give up, and people are interested only in things they see for themselves and find them good. When you started a project thread, people already expect that you show something, and would really like to see screenshots at least.

I think your goal is maybe way too ambitious, since you're new to mapping, it might not turn out as good as you'd wish. Anyway, genuine good luck with your project.

If you'd like any help passing some mapping hurdles, feel free to ask me. I remember the grueling pain of trying to figure out things as simple as tags back in the day!

scifista42 said:

When you started a project thread, people already expect that you show something, and would really like to see screenshots at least.

Don't worry. I'll have screenshots of MAP01 very soon. I will continuously update this thread with screenshots.

:)

Doomkid said:

If you'd like any help passing some mapping hurdles, feel free to ask me. I remember the grueling pain of trying to figure out things as simple as tags back in the day!

The stuff that I really need help with isn't mapping and tags and stuff. I'm fine with that stuff. I'm just not good with like, putting custom M_DOOM graphics and making custom text screens, and putting in credits at the end. That's what I really need help with. If you know how to do that stuff, I will gladly PM you and ask about it!

:)

It's 2:30 am right now (why the hell am I awake) but tomorrow I'll send you some info the should help greatly with custom graphics of all types!

You can't post attachments here in Wads and Mods, but you can post direct links to your images (they start with "i.imgur.com/"), perhaps in [img] tags and thumbnailed. What you show looks a little ugly, be careful about wallpaper-like monochromatic texturing. Nothing special architeture-wise, but it seems it can work. Keep it up! You'll be eventually getting better and better as you continue, and feedback from other people can help you.

scifista42 said:

You can't post attachments here in Wads and Mods, but you can post direct links to your images (they start with "i.imgur.com/"), perhaps in [img] tags and thumbnailed. What you show looks a little ugly, be careful about wallpaper-like monochromatic texturing. Nothing special architeture-wise, but it seems it can work. Keep it up! You'll be eventually getting better and better as you continue, and feedback from other people can help you.

Thank you! Finally, someone with HONEST feedback. Everyone is like "looks great! blah blah blah." Saying something looks great doesn't help. It's the negative feedback that helps out with stuff. I'll get to detailing then!

You could definetly tweak the second room with some pillars and edges with stairs that have stuff on them, just an idea because that room is bland and you should really enhance the third shot by making the pillars and the stairs 2x wider.
The first shot doesn't show a whole lot, but I'm sure as heck there's a trap once you approach the key. If that's right then put it behind or instantly lower the panel so the player will have to jump inside a trap, get creative.

joe-ilya said:

The first shot doesn't show a whole lot, but I'm sure as heck there's a trap once you approach the key. If that's right then put it behind or instantly lower the panel so the player will have to jump inside a trap, get creative.

Thank you for the feedback! There actually wasn't a trap with the key, but I think I might make one. And, I was thinking about making the E1M1-esque stairs a little wider, since there is an Arachnotron there. However, on the raised sector in the middle, there was an SSG, but I picked it up accidentally while taking screenshots.