Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brad_tilf

So, I don't get the Zandronum/Skulltag thing

I ran into I think my 2nd or 3rd map while working on This Week in Doom that says it uses Zanondrum/Skulltag.
Honestly, I've never gotten ANYTHING to run right in Zanondrum but the maps always seem to run ok in Skulltag except for an error I got on one tonight about 3d floors and the software renderer not being able to display them. (Good times).

So, what am I missing here? I even tried putting ALL the skulltag shit into the Zandronum folder but it still wouldn't even come close to loading the map correctly. So, I don't get it.

If you're loading a map that uses the old Skulltag resources, you'll need to load skulltag_actors.pk3 and skulltag_data_126.pk3 manually before them(they should have come with your install). As for features, Zandronum is far superior to Skulltag in that regard. Which features did you hear were missing?

Marcaek said:

If you're loading a map that uses the old Skulltag resources, you'll need to load skulltag_actors.pk3 and skulltag_data_126.pk3 manually before them(they should have come with your install). As for features, Zandronum is far superior to Skulltag in that regard. Which features did you hear were missing?

So those don't load when Skulltag starts up?

I'm pretty sure Skulltag used it's own unified PK3 before development ceased, so no. Those separate PK3s are kept around for compatibility with Skulltag or Zandro mods that used their actors or textures or both. They weren't themselves included with Skulltag.

Ragnor said:

Shouldnt it all be unified by this point?

The Zandronum devs deliberately did not include the data files. I forget why, I think they dislike the idea of such modifications being "standard," but it is intentional whatever the reason.

skulltag_data_126.pk3 doesn't come with Zandronum, you can get it (and other ST files) from http://wiki.zandronum.com/Downloads

You can autoload these things by putting them in the [Global.Autoload] section of your zandronum-username.ini. This might cause problems when trying to connect to multiplayer Zandronum servers, but if you're just playing SP maps then no big deal.

This stuff was causing compatibility issues when being autoloaded. So the (smart) decision was to put it into separate files.

Strangely enough, Zandronum still distributes the dynamic light definitions from GZDoom in its main resource file, even though these are far, far worse, regarding mod compatibility, than the Skulltag stuff ever was...